News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sheet metal dimensions

Started by bricklayer, March 08, 2008, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

What is the measurment from side to side where the front edge of the hood meets the front fenders from fender to fender? and also at the back of the fenders at the cowl I:m having troubble lineing the hood up what are the best ways of alinging hood thanks  tom

bill440rt

One could write a book on how this is done. Oh wait, they did. It's called a "Factory Service Manual."  :D

A gap of about 1/4" or so (but no greater) is probably considered "correct." Although, a wider gap at the cowl is very common. The fender to cowl gaps are also sometimes a bit wider, I've seen that on many cars.

It's all about trial & error, really. I find it easiest to set the hood gap at the cowl first, to get it straight. Then, set the fender gaps at the cowl. Line up the corners with the outer corners of the hood. You may have to move the hood forward or back a few times to get the gap "right." Use shims to get the right fender height also at the cowl (factory used different thickness washers). Then, line up each fender at the the front corners in & out to match the hood line (this is the easiest gap as long as the other gaps are good).
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce