News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 ignition switch

Started by Ryan, March 06, 2008, 11:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

so looking at my 69 ignition switch, next to my 68 ignition switch. I can tell the 69 is longer, but other than that was is the difference between the two? The wiring looks the same, they mount the same. Can I use a 68 switch in my 69?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

resq302

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you could plug it in, the problem lies with the diameter of the hole where the 68 has a smaller diameter than the 69 cylinder.  The cylinder is also not as long as the 68.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Troy

The 69 switch is larger in diameter. Basically the hole in the dash is too big for the 68 switch - or the hole in the 68 dash is too small for the 69 switch but that's usually not an issue. The bezels are the same size I believe so this should give you an idea about the difference.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ryan

OK I see. Well I just happend to replace my dash frame with one that I think was out of a 68, guess I will have to see.

Thanks for the info
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Chatt69chgr

Note that the ignition switch in a 69 C body is the same as the one in a B body.  So if you were lucky enough to find an old C body, that is where you could get one.

Troy

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 07, 2008, 01:25:08 PM
Note that the ignition switch in a 69 C body is the same as the one in a B body.  So if you were lucky enough to find an old C body, that is where you could get one.
Chrysler used the same switch in every car in 69 I believe. They are a one year only part. The 68 switch was actually used from 62-68 in all Chrysler products which is why they are much easier to find.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.