News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is a B Body Bedix Booster Worth

Started by gasoline_24, February 12, 2008, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

I am looking to buy a Bendix power disc brake booster for a 1968 Charger with mounting plate and linkage.  I have found one for $495.00, but that seems expensive.  Does anyone have such a setup they want to sell or thoughts on what this one would be worh?

Shakey

Quote from: gasoline_24 on February 12, 2008, 11:09:36 AM
I am looking to buy a Bendix power disc brake booster for a 1968 Charger with mounting plate and linkage.  I have found one for $495.00, but that seems expensive.  Does anyone have such a setup they want to sell or thoughts on what this one would be worh?

They are hard to find but that sounds pricey - unless of course it is rebuilt and includes the rebuilt/re-slevved master cylinder.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I agree that is pricey unless its rebuilt already.  "Supposedly" these are being reproduced.....they were supposed to be available last fall or so.  Not sure who the mfg was.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gasoline_24

It was suppose to be rebuilt in 2005, but unsure what it has done since.  Who was going to reproduce?  I will be a while before I need power brakes.  The rotisserie stops pretty good right now.

Shakey

Master Power Brakes outta NC were advertising it for a while but.....

Chatt69chgr

Master Power Brakes out of Asheville, NC is who you are looking for.  Look them up on the web and call them.  If enough people do this, they will do something.  They have had it in their catalog for a couple of years and claim they have had samples in from China twice but neither met their stds.  They say they still intend to offer this item eventually. 

resq302

I see a guy on ebay occasionally who sells completely restored ones and they suprisingly go for his opening bid of $385.  My opinion, that is too high of a price to pay but again, as Chris would like to say, these things seem to be made of "Unobtanium".  The master cylinders are being reproduced with new castings and all new internal parts.  Check out your local NAPA store.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

lilwendal

Greg,
I sent 3 to Deweys Boosters last week. I should get them back next week.  I can help you out with one.....say 250.00????
Thats original Bendix rebuilt by Dewey. I keep the M&Ms though.
Also shiped the 3 speed switch with 5$ today priority.
Send me a PM if interested.
Mike

Corellian Corvette

PM sent. I could REALLY use a picture and the measurement of the length of the pushrod that goes through the firewall. Thanks!!

Shakey

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 07, 2008, 02:49:34 AM
PM sent. I could REALLY use a picture and the measurement of the length of the pushrod that goes through the firewall. Thanks!!

There is a thread on here that covers that and includes photos.

Chatt69chgr

Go by Oreilly's and see if yours has the booklet that mine had that shows info on the various pushrods that were used.  The booster itself was used in a lot of vehicles----the pushrod varied from vehicle to vehicle. 

Corellian Corvette

No O'rilleys around here :(

I sent my booster in to have it rebuilt and they cut the rod too short. I've seen the Hemi ones with all that extra linkage, but I've seen folks use that bendix booster straight against the firewall. I want to have my setup like that. But I haven't found anyone with a working setup that can tell me the correct length for the pushrod. I've searched but I haven't found anything.

If anyone is using a bendix booster that is bolted to the firewall as part of a disc brake conversion, and can tell me the length of the rod from the back of the booster to the top of the "O" where it bolts to the pedal, that would be super helpful!

Thanks!

Chatt69chgr

One of our forum moderators, Just69chgr, posted info on his installation of this booster.  Perhaps he could supply the correct length of the actuator rod.  You are correct that the booster mounts directly to the firewall in some cases.  In fact, on B-bodys, I think it always mounts directly to the firewall unless you are running a hemi.  The reason they used the brackets on the hemi was to move the booster/master assembly up and over to get it out of the way of the engine.  You can use your existing firewall stiffener plate but will have to file the hole in it out some.  Note that you will not be attaching the actuator rod directly to the brake pedal.  It goes through a bellcrank mechanism.  I wasn't sure if you were aware of that but there are pictures of this mechanism on here.  In fact, a member from Norway was just asking about the bellcrank and was planning on making one since he couldn't find one locally.

Corellian Corvette

I'm tried searching for Just69chgr but didn't find anything :(

If someone has a link that would be super! :)

I'm pretty sure I have all the parts from my original PB setup (the car had power drums), so I have the bellcrank and all the bracketry. The problem is, that if the pushrod is too short it still shorts the overall pedal. The rebuilders told me they had the correct lengths in their book, but it's obvioulsy too short. It's easily and inch shorter than the rod from the older drum booster. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same length or not.

Thanks!

8WHEELER

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 10, 2008, 07:20:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I have all the parts from my original PB setup (the car had power drums), so I have the bellcrank and all the bracketry. The problem is, that if the pushrod is too short it still shorts the overall pedal. The rebuilders told me they had the correct lengths in their book, but it's obvioulsy too short. It's easily and inch shorter than the rod from the older drum booster. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same length or not.

Thanks!

I put my new Bendix booster in over a year ago, I did not measure the rod length, but there is a number on the rod
as well to tell if it is correct for your application. I would have let you see mine, but it is in the car now and works great.
I put my disc brakes on last summer, with regular driving, I liked my 11x3 drum brakes better, my disc brakes are still
getting broken in, there is a big selection of pads out there.

I was lucky, and got the last of these Bendix boosters that the Napa in Redmond could ever come across, I was lucky as  :nixon:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

NYCMille

I will have a mint one for sale in the coming months so keep your eyes on the for sale section.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 10, 2008, 07:20:03 PM

Thanks!

I never really measured mine either.....a phone call or email to Booster Dewey should get you the info you need....

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

Chris' '69 Charger R/T