News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best exhuast gasket?

Started by miller, August 14, 2011, 01:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

Hello,

I am going to replace the exhaust gaskets on the Charger in hopes to stop the ticking. My question for you is, what is the best exhaust gasket, and what brand of silicon would you recommend for optimal sealing capabilities? The engine is a 440, car is a 1969 Charger, Headers are Headman.

Thank you,
Adam Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

elacruze

I used REMFLEX at the head and collector both, on my 40 year old Hooker Super Comps which always leaked some in the center due to warpage. We did 4000 miles with no trace of a leak, and no retightening needed. Best gaskets I've ever seen.

http://catalog.remflex.com/
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Stretch

I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

HeavyFuel

Are gaskets between the manifold and the head necessary when using stock exhaust manifolds?  The service manual says no gasket, which does seem odd.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Quote from: HeavyFuel on August 15, 2011, 12:22:53 PM
Are gaskets between the manifold and the head necessary when using stock exhaust manifolds?  The service manual says no gasket, which does seem odd.

No gaskets on stock manifolds, different story for headers.

HeavyFuel

Hmmmm.....wonder why that is?

Does iron provide a tighter fit, and produce less "flex" than the materials headers are made of?  Or does it have to do with machining, or maybe the amount of torque you can put down on the bolts with iron?

tufamc

Just a FYI....

Do not use Remflex gaskets with headman headers, the port opening on the gaskest is much bigger than the opening on the headman's, by at least 1/8" to maybe 3/16", although the Remflex gaskets "squish" they'll still leak on you. Maybe the one's I got were just cut wrong. I've been fighting a tick, tick tick, in my exhaust, and always thought, "no way those nice remflex gaskets could be leaking". Exhausted all other things, changed the gaskets to good ol' paper......no more leaks, of any kind....I have Headman "elite" headers....Going Percey's after these paper's blow out....

Just my  :Twocents:
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

Charger-Bodie

FHO says no gasket on my hemi with tti headers. I did it that way and no leaks so far.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

FLG

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 15, 2011, 06:12:02 PM
FHO says no gasket on my hemi with tti headers. I did it that way and no leaks so far.

guess it depends on header manufacturer? i know tti make top dollar pieces so i can see why...but with cheap headman/hookers i think a gasket would be required?

interesting.

RallyeMike

QuoteI used REMFLEX at the head and collector both, on my 40 year old Hooker Super Comps which always leaked some in the center due to warpage. We did 4000 miles with no trace of a leak, and no retightening needed. Best gaskets I've ever seen.

QuoteJust a FYI....

Do not use Remflex gaskets with headman headers, the port opening on the gaskest is much bigger than the opening on the headman's, by at least 1/8" to maybe 3/16", although the Remflex gaskets "squish" they'll still leak on you. Maybe the one's I got were just cut wrong. I've been fighting a tick, tick tick, in my exhaust, and always thought, "no way those nice remflex gaskets could be leaking". Exhausted all other things, changed the gaskets to good ol' paper......no more leaks, of any kind....I have Headman "elite" headers....Going Percey's after these paper's blow out....

Agree on the port size matching. I am also using these on Hooker Super Comps on the road race car and I like them a lot other than there is no chance for re-use. They get destroyed if you have to take things apart.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: FLG on August 15, 2011, 09:19:52 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 15, 2011, 06:12:02 PM

guess it depends on header manufacturer? i know tti make top dollar pieces so i can see why...but with cheap headman/hookers i think a gasket would be required?

interesting.

The hemi also has a better bolt pattern for holding the header tight around all the ports. On anything else I would reccomend the Percys. I have used them on quite a few builds and they work real nice.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

miller

should silicon be used with the gaskets, or will Percy's gaskets alone be enough?

Also, how do you clean the head and header to ensure a tight fit? Do you just use a wire wheel with socks shoved into the exhaust ports?

Lastly, is there any special trick to getting the headers off the studs other than loosening up the exhaust system and wiggling it around until it comes off (The header seems very close to the torsion bars)?

Thanks,
Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

A383Wing

factory did not use gaskets....

from what I have heard, if you use gaskets on stock manifolds, they will run a bit hotter because they are not being cooled by the direct head contact

if that makes sense

Remflex is a good gasket for headers, not stock manifolds

RallyeMike

Exhaust gaskets should be set dry - no silicone.

There are many ways to clean surfaces. I use razor and then a small steel brush.

Headers can be a pain depending on brand and engine. You may have to loosen the header at the collector or otherwise loosen the exhaust to swing the header out far enough to clear for gasket replacement. You may even have to go as far and loosening motor mounts and jacking the engine around. If you are comfortable with pulling the T-bars, that works well in some cases too.

Good luck.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/