News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new chargers

Started by gomango0042, March 05, 2008, 10:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomango0042

how many members are driving new chargers and how do you like them .at present my wife and i have a 06 daytona in gomango it is car #0042 of 4000 it repaced a dear freind and family member my 73 charger se 400 cid had a lot of time in it but was made a offer to hard to let go wish still had it. just trying to find out what any one else has done to theres and if it was worth making the change ...cold air intate spacers catback headers .

41husk

I think there are many threads on here bashing the new Charger, you won't need to search hard to find them.  I personaly like the look, but don't believe it should have been called a Charger. :horse:  I would be more interested in any members who have seen the new Challenger yet, on the road or in a dealership.  Not a spy photo or auto show event.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

welcome to the site Gomango0042
there is a number of members here who have the newest generation charger and many many threads exist on them so try a search in the search funtion box up top...

have any pics of your old one you sold?..
most the folks here have the older chargers and they are the primary focus of this site.

bull

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: plum500 on March 05, 2008, 03:42:08 PM
Check out:
http://www.chargerforums.com/
http://lxforums.com/

Yup, I'm a member here and both of those sites....and many others.

I have a 2007 SE in B6 Blue.
It's the best car I could get given the choices at the time and I love it.
The one thing that I realized right away was how uncomfortable my old Taurtoise was - the seating, headroom, steering wheel adjustability in the Charger has literally changed my life.
Seriously, my chiropractor has even mentioned how my posture and alignment have improved - and I get less adjustments for my traps...

I used to hate the idea of a 4-door Charger. I guess I still do in a way. If they'd called it a Coronet, I'd still have gotten it and I'd still be happy with the car - It is what it is and relatively speaking, what it is is a pretty darn nice car.

I would say it seems they made a mistake naming it. That said, it sells and that's helped keep the company going. Maybe it was a desperate measure to try and hold the fort while they get their ducks in a row. Hopefully, the Challenger is the first step towards a comeback and I'd venture to say that the Challenger wouldn't likely exist if it weren't for the Charger and all of the controversy it generated. I might be wrong, but it's a good theory.... in theory..

ITSA426

I was shopping for a 300C and saw the brochure with the top banana daytona so I ordered one of those instead.  I'm absolutely happy with it and I don't care what they call it.  I also use a solar yellow Rumblebee to drag the '66 hemi charger around so I just tell people it's my yellow phase.

tkkruzer

me and the wife bought an 06 R/T, maroon in color, and we are very happy with it. we get excellent mileage in it on the highway and its so roomy if thats a word. its a pleasure to drive, call it what you want, mines a wiggitt R/T  :2thumbs: Tom

73chgrSE

They don't look half bad for a four door car. I've seen a few that look really mean. An all black R/T and those yellow and black daytonas are cool. :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 73chgrSE on March 05, 2008, 06:08:31 PM
They don't look half bad for a four door car. I've seen a few that look really mean. An all black R/T and those yellow and black daytonas are cool. :Twocents:

I agree. I just dont think they sgould be called a Charger......Monaco, polara ,newport,Cordoba, etc but not Charger :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

73chgrSE

Agreed. I've said all along that the "Viper" should have been called the "Charger" since the Charger was Dodge's first supercar.

andy74

and here we go again! :eek2:

Brock Samson

OneofNoneRT

We bought one  "Torred" R/T with the R/T option.. I still think it is strange having to option out a R/T package on a R/T badged car. :shruggy:. Wife drives it as her daily driver.. She loves it, Lots of attention and comments..  :coolgleamA:  We added the Lighted Sill Gaurds, Kinda cool at night. 100+ Before you realize it, Comfortable cruzing altitude, Alot of fun, though I dont like the ESP Traction control ( Puts the brakes on the spinning wheel so as to put more power to the one with traction) Turning it off with the button only partially disables..Anyway We Enjoy it.. But My true love is My 68 R/T..   ;)
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

68RT4ME

You know, I saw this thread earlier today and started reading the comments on this car (Mostly negative). I followed the link to a rather lively discussion between a few guys but 2 in particular. Not very cool I'd say. Still, I have tossed around the idea of sharing news about the "New Charger" my wife and I bought last week mostly because, instead of being happy for someone who gets something they like, some people would rather criticize them for doing it. I know this isn't an LX forum but, I still feel that as a forum where we share our thoughts on anything Charger related that we should build each other up rather than tear someone down.

For the record, I have always felt and still feel that the name "Charger"was mis-applied to this car. I personally feel that it would have been more appropriate to call it a "Magnum R/T" sedan or something other than"Charger" still, it was out of our hands and simply because we don't like the name on the car, doesn't mean we should not like it (The car itself). I have seen some really ugly 4 door cars over the years and some very cool looking ones too. In my opinion, this car looks cool. As an owner of one, I can first hand say that it performs great. It catches the eye of everyone. Even the haters must admit that when you see one going down the road, you more than likely stare at it and I don't mean in disgust. The car is well put together, runs incredibly strong and provides allot of comfort while driving. No matter what the name, it can't be denied that it is a musclecar. A modern musclecar.

So the Germans didn't listen to us and built this 4 door "Charger". Well, I don't know too much about what happened to Chrysler in the first place to cause them to be bought up by a German car company but, it happend and they had their own ideas as to what a "Charger" might have evolved into had it stayed in production. They didn't go the retro route and I'm not going to make excuses for them. But, if Chrysler hadn't been saved by MB, it too would have gone the way of the Dodo bird and we would be down to just 2 American nameplate car companies. Seems to me that MB kept Chrysler afloat for a while and If Chrysler didn't like or want another company to run them, they should have done something to be more competitive in the market. Maybe they could have bought Merc's instead.

Anyway, We wanted an American named 4 door car. We didn't want to buy a Chevy or Ford, Pontiac or Buick, Saturn, Lincoln or Caddy. We wanted a MOPAR because we are MOPAR fans and now an all MOPAR vehicle owning family. This one filled the need and wants for us. We find it to be very cool, Fun to drive (understatement). I am proud to own it as I bought it at and American family owned and operated dealership. I know the car was assembled in Canada but, it's an American nameplate "DODGE" and whether true or not, I'd like to think that in these times, I'm doing my part to help our own economy buy buying it and not some foriegn car makers company or country. Could I have bought a better car? Sure could but, I like this one and I'm through buying foriegn cars.

We now own 3 "Chargers" and a "RAM 3500" truck. I don't care what name is on the car other than "DODGE". This car may have the wrong model name on it but, it's still a "DODGE" and I'm proud to own it. With that said, here it is, Our new 2008 Dodge Magnum R/T....errrr, I mean "Charger SRT8 SUPER BEE". Since the wife will be driving it mostly, I've come to call the car "The Queen Bee"...  :D  Let the haters ensue  ;)

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

70 Battle Horse

You have every right to be proud!! AWESOME  Bee!!!  Check out the custom hood badge I had made for my Mango!! I think it would look great on your Bee as well

Best 1/4 run so far 12.7 @ 108 mph

Rack

Don't mind the look other than that gawd awful grill (just remove the giant cross hairs and it would probably look bad ass). I also just don't think it should be called a charger.

I may get one a few years from now and just cut out that truck grill and change the chargers badges to "Intrepid" or "Stratus" badges.

hemihead

Sorry but you still can't sell me on the Creeder . Chrysler can put as many Dime Store stickers on it they want but the car still screams " midlife crisis car my wife would let me own ". And no , still not impressed when I see one on the road ( which isn't often ) . And no ,  it still is ugly . MHO
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

BigBlackDodge

The Germans saved Chrysler? Morelike just the opposite. Things started going bad after the 'merger of equals'. MB raided Chrysler and then sold most of it off to Cerberus.

BBD

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on March 06, 2008, 08:09:15 AM
The Germans saved Chrysler? Morelike just the opposite. Things started going bad after the 'merger of equals'. MB raided Chrysler and then sold most of it off to Cerberus.

BBD

I agree with this statement 100%. And that was the Germans plan from the get go! IMO  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

41husk

I for one am happy for your purchase,  I like when people are in to cars.  I teach at risk high school kids, and encourage them to get into anything possitive that might divert time away from drugs and gangs.  For that reason I try not to rip any car or brand.  I take kids to car shows with me and try to stay possitive if they move right past the 69 Hemi Charger and flock to the Scion with the sick audio system :shruggy: Everyone has there own taste.  I would buy and drive a new Charger if I got a good enough deal.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

gomango0042

thanks for your input and i to would much rather have my 73 se back have acualy tried to buy it back but no go so my daughter has moved to az and i have her looking for 1. as for the new challenger thay are schedualed for mid june arrivel my local dealer told me his 1st will be there on or about the 12th.wait to see .also i agree that the charger should have been called something else .but it still is a modern muscle car and i have had no problom puting the old f#*d rustangs to shame with it . dodge still rules the rear wheel drive .

68RT4ME

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 06, 2008, 08:17:57 AM

BBD

I agree with this statement 100%. And that was the Germans plan from the get go! IMO :Twocents:

Well, like I said in my post, I'm not aware as to what happened for Chrysler to be bought up by MB. The bottom line is they let it happen and if they didn't want it to, they should have stopped it.

Quote from: hemihead on March 06, 2008, 07:29:24 AM
Sorry but you still can't sell me on the Creeder . Chrysler can put as many Dime Store stickers on it they want but the car still screams " midlife crisis car my wife would let me own ". And no , still not impressed when I see one on the road ( which isn't often ) . And no , it still is ugly . MHO

First off, I don't need the wife's permission to do or buy anything. Actually, it was she that wanted to get the car and I had no problem with it since I like it too. I can drive whatever I like. I just so happens to be that we have the same (great) taste in Veh.'s  ;) As for the dime store stickers? They're the same ones on most all Chargers and cars from that era. Same price too I suspect. As for looks, one mans pig is another mans rose. That's why they make all types of cars in different shapes/sizes. To each his own. I'll go along with those that complain about what I choose to drive the day that person or persons steps up and buys my car for me.

As I said, I think the car has the wrong name and I wish it was called what I really feel it is. A "Magnum R/T Sedan But, Damn is it nice to drive. I know we are only expressing our own opinions and I truly respect that and only hope that other can do the same.  :Twocents:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Brock Samson

http://www.amazon.com/Taken-Ride-Daimler-Benz-Drove-Chrysler/dp/0060934484

i doubt alot of folks care to read this but it does give the inside story...

The jist of it is a few top execs at Chysler were bamboozeled by the Germans B.S. and sold out the Chysler Corp. in return for multi-million dollor golden parachutes.
The Germans took approx. two years to bring their their design input to Alburn Hills, meanwhile raiding the five billion war chest for new designs Chysler had saved up, Stuttgart used the fresh cash infusion to bring out new M.B.s like the Maybach, Mclaren Built SLR, S-class, E- and C- class not to mention the GLs and the Rs. and foisted off excess SLK production capacity on Chysler in the form of the Crossfire.
Every DCX Chysler product from the 2000 P.T. Cruiser till the present day has been well behind the expected intoduction curve while mercedes gained models which were introduced on an acccelerated timeline.

take a look at the M.B. product roster to see what happened to Chysler.  :eek2:

A-Class Hatchback
B-Class Sports Tourer/Hatchback
C-Class Sedan, Sports Coupe & Wagon
CL-Class Coupe
CLK-Class Coupe & Cabriolet
CLS-Class "4 Door Coupe"
E-Class Sedan & Wagon
G-Class Cross-country vehicle
GL-Class SUV
GLK-Class SUV
M-Class SUV
R-Class Sports Tourer
S-Class Sedan
SL-Class Roadster
SLK-Class Roadster
SLR-McLaren High Performance Coupe & Roadster
Maybach-57/62

bull

If nothing else I think this thread (and the other 832 just like it) prove that people love controversy.

68RT4ME

Thanks Brock for posting that article. I wasn't aware of the story behind it all. The bottom line is that the guy's who ran Chrysler before the take over were all about greed. They listened to the MB Bullshit and sold their soul to them for the money. Now MB comes in. They own all these asset's and decide to do what they please with what they now own. No different than what you or I would do if we bought a warehouse full of parts. We'd keep what we want, sell off the rest and follow our own agenda to get to where we want to be. We'd say the hell with what anyone else thinks and move on.

I still lay blame at the feet of the Chrysler Execs who sold it in the first place. They are to blame for MB using hallowed names and icons to make a buck. They took advantage of the opportunity and the nostalgic emotions of the American buyers. I don't condone it and hate that it happened. I least an '06 E350 and really liked it. It is now going back and the reason we went out to buy another 4 door. I can only hope that the new owners will go back to the companies roots and put out a product that we will want. Hard to say "Poor Plymouth" when we didn't support them while they were here. This new purchase by my wife and I has occurred under new ownership and UAW contract. I'd like to think it benefits the American worker. I'm am trying to buy American in our case and buy something I like/can live with. If and when they come out with what we would consider to be a real "Charger", I'll buy it. Keep in mind that the "Challenger" is being build on the same platform. It just looks closer to what we expected on the outside.

BigBlackDodge

I also believe alot of the of the resentment towards the new Charger was in the way it was presented. At first DCX didn't do 'retro' cars like Ford (there's a video of this some where with that statement)..........until they saw how well they sold! Then all the heritage stuff was thrown at it.... :eyes: If not for the gripping and ill comments about the new Charger the Challenger would have been the 'Avenger'.............at least now they're starting to understand what a muslce car should look like.

BBD

472 R/T SE

68RT4ME & 70 Battle Horse, those are some DAMN fine lookin' CHARGERS.   :2thumbs:

BigBlackDodge

I'm am trying to buy American in our case and buy something I like/can live with.

American made? North American made maybe. :scratchchin:

BBD

68RT4ME

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on March 06, 2008, 08:55:09 PM
I'm am trying to buy American in our case and buy something I like/can live with.

American made? North American made maybe. :scratchchin:

BBD

Close enough...lol  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 06, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
68RT4ME & 70 Battle Horse, those are some DAMN fine lookin' CHARGERS. :2thumbs:

Thank you very much... ;)

hemihead

Quote from: 68RT4ME on March 06, 2008, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on March 06, 2008, 08:17:57 AM

BBD

I agree with this statement 100%. And that was the Germans plan from the get go! IMO :Twocents:

Well, like I said in my post, I'm not aware as to what happened for Chrysler to be bought up by MB. The bottom line is they let it happen and if they didn't want it to, they should have stopped it.

Quote from: hemihead on March 06, 2008, 07:29:24 AM
Sorry but you still can't sell me on the Creeder . Chrysler can put as many Dime Store stickers on it they want but the car still screams " midlife crisis car my wife would let me own ". And no , still not impressed when I see one on the road ( which isn't often ) . And no , it still is ugly . MHO

First off, I don't need the wife's permission to do or buy anything. Actually, it was she that wanted to get the car and I had no problem with it since I like it too. I can drive whatever I like. I just so happens to be that we have the same (great) taste in Veh.'s  ;) As for the dime store stickers? They're the same ones on most all Chargers and cars from that era. Same price too I suspect. As for looks, one mans pig is another mans rose. That's why they make all types of cars in different shapes/sizes. To each his own. I'll go along with those that complain about what I choose to drive the day that person or persons steps up and buys my car for me.

As I said, I think the car has the wrong name and I wish it was called what I really feel it is. A "Magnum R/T Sedan But, Damn is it nice to drive. I know we are only expressing our own opinions and I truly respect that and only hope that other can do the same.  :Twocents:
I wasn't getting personal with my comment . It was only a generalization .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69charger2002

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 06, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
68RT4ME & 70 Battle Horse, those are some DAMN fine lookin' CHARGERS.   :2thumbs:

INTREPID SEDANS!  :RantExplode:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

TheGhost

Love the new Chargers.  I'm one of the most vocal supporters, actually. :cheers:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Rack

Quote from: TheGhost on March 07, 2008, 05:38:43 AM
Love the new Chargers.  I'm one of the most vocal supporters, actually. :cheers:

What? Dodge made a new charger?!@

Cool, can't wait to see it.

;D

TK73

I really tried likin the new ones, fine looking vehicle on the front half, back half keep shocking me... just doesn't look "right".

Wonder how well they would have sold as 2-doors...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ghoste

Probably worse.  The huge majority don't care what it's called or even too much what it looks like, they just want a mid size four door sedan.  A small niche market exists for four door touring sedan crowd and they also don't much care what it's called.  An even smaller market exists that demands styling and performance deserving of the Charger image that would be found in a two door.  :Twocents: