News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I build a Charger or a C-body?

Started by migsBIG, March 01, 2008, 09:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

migsBIG

I was wondering which on to build, a 1971 Charger R/T or a 1970 Polara 2dr. Both have cool potential, but I can only do one since I haven't won th lottery. I put a poll on moparts if you feel like voting. Here is a link to get you guys into the mood.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4238975&page=0&vc=1#Post4238975

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

NHCharger

Your on a Charger board asking weather to build a 71 Charger R/T or a land yacht. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bull

Good question. Here are some other good questions: Should you marry someone who looks like Rosie O'Donnell or someone who looks like Angelina Jolie? Should you have a tasty prime rib dinner tonight or staple your tongue to the wall? Should you sit down, put your feet up and watch a good movie or slam your head in the door repeatedly. Decisions, decisions. :shruggy:

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ghoste

A 71 Charger RT or a Polara?  Yeah, that is a tough choice alright.

migsBIG

Thanks for replying guys, I didn't think I would get any replies this late on a saturday. The reson I posted this is I have a bad time figuring out what mopars I want to work on.
I figured that I would leave my next project ou to guys who might be a little more 'grounded' in their thoughts, thus the poll.
I'll post here what I posted over there. I did also post on the c-body Drydock board to just as many people to honestly vote on the issue.

Well, it has come time to decide which one do I really want and the one I should let go. I have a few cars, but I really want to build a ride with a big 'old snorting big block, thus the delema.
The R/T and Polara are both for sale, but only one of them will go.

The Charger is non number, correct auto and needs a full resto. Originally a green car, this one is kinda low for options, and was raced (but not cut-up).
I've always been a hotroder, so original paint and numbers stuff was never a big point with me. Probably leave the interior buckets black, paint it white and trim it in black. Always liked the thought of making the hood funtional to take in cold air, since the hood scoop plate just unbolts.

The good: Rare car, factory big block, has lots of parts, resale value is good, very little rust and still pretty cool to look at.
The bad: Very costly to restore, would cost probably $10,000 to restore and paint the body before the interior and drivetrain is calculated in (in my erea, body shops charge a premium and i'm kinda picky about the work being done).

Now, the 1970 Polara has a cool shape and style about it and I could easily upgrade it the same way as the Charger, but for less. This is a true $300 car that literatly screams 'BUILD ME'. I love big cars like this, and is one of the cooler C-body's out there.

The good: $300 starting base price and super clean body will save cash. Factory 383, auto, ps, disc brake, ac, power windows, heavy duty cooling and uncut dash harness. A low milage car. The engine knocks harder than the Avon Lady trying to sell her 'pretties' and wouldn't be a problem with replacing with 500+inches of thumper power.
The bad: Car still weights 450 lbs more than the charger (that me, a GF, a dog and a tank of gas in weight). There are ZERO restoration parts for the car, thus specialty part needs or custom made. Will never be as respected as a true muscle car, no matter how much decals and power you put on/in it. It's a C-body? Parking will immediatly getting you thinking about that song 'Give me Forty acres and I'll turn this rig around'. Resale value, even a slant six valiant and has a better return than one of these. Oh, Did I mention it's a C-body?

I have a few more pics to view here of the cars: http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/migsbig/

So there you have it. I either take the charger and make a resto racer with all appearing stock with lots of power OR I work the polara to a Lowered, big tired pro-tourer with enough inches of big block to get the job done.

Charger is estimate at $25K to restore while polara will be about $13K to do.

Help me decide, so I can finally get started on a summer cruiser. 
If your registered to Moparts, please feel free to vote. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4238945&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

dkn1997

ON moparts, I told you to build the polara.  i changed my mind. build the charger and sell me the polara.  I love that car. 
RECHRGED

Chatt69chgr

One thing about the Polara is that if you ever did have a wreck in it, it would be like it happened in the next state.  They will never make cars like that again.  Few are restoring them so you would probably stand out with it.  But I would still want the Charger.  I love muscle cars.  We never had one when I was a kid at home----just land yachts------but I have had several since that time and now am working on the best of all---a 69 Charger.  I really don't think you will ever regret restoring the Charger.  Every time you get in it and start the engine, it will bring a smile to your face.  And when that time comes to part with it, and it eventually will, your grandkids will want the Charger.  If they don't, you won't have any trouble selling it. 

Brock Samson

the featured article in collector car magazine this month is on the 69 Polara, worth a look.
nice cars and I can really see your delema,.. still the charger is more of a hot rod while the Polara is a cool daily driver with alot of possibilities if you want to mod it. and alot cheaper to do from the looks of it. i found a 3x green two door hardtop polara just like that at an auction about 20 years ago went for $2.7 K and it was super cherry.
It's really too bad you can't do both,..  hot rod the 'charger and cruise the polaris. which ever one you sell, your gonna continually kick your self forever...
reminds me of that lovin spoonful song.. have you ever had to make up your mind?..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LpiE-5wPsU8

Ghoste

I would still do the Charger.  I understand the economics of your choice but if forced to pick only one, my vote automatically goes to the Charger.

rare69

Let me know what you want for the charger, then i'll tell you which one to do.

Rolling_Thunder

I would say the Charger...       I do like C-bodies though...    just not the later years...    give me a 65-66 Sport Fury of VIP    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlackDodge

Cool...............looks like that c-body has the 'super-light' option. Illegal in some states. :yesnod:

BBD

migsBIG

See, by alot of your guys comments, the Polara is a more popular choice. Still, either car would be fun, just the priorities are just a little tighter. If I stored either car, that's an added $1,000 a year just in stashing that way. That's like aluminum heads or custom rearend center section. Funny thing is, the Polara is winning in the poll.  Still, I couldn't believe how many charger fans have voted for the polara! :yesnod:

Charger1973

I'd restore the R/T and drive the Polara.

Brock Samson

69charger440

you deserve this  :slap: that is an easy one. good luck with the charger :cheers:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

ACUDANUT

C-body's ?? they look like a Grandma car and are very,very ugly. CHARGER is the only way to go.!!

migsBIG

Dang, the polara is winning. Even hada couple members here offer to  buy it! :nana:
Still, I'll probably decide friday, as that's when the voting will be over.

mikesbbody

i do actually understand why you like c bodies (i have had a land yacht before and they are cool) but i think this one is pretty obvious its like comparing a thorobred to a donkey! its gotta be the charger  :2thumbs: id buy it off you if i had the $ (the charger, not the c body) it sounds to me like you have already made up your mind?

migsBIG

I really don't think the charger is a donkey. I'm just saying I am needing help deciding which one gets rodded and which one goes away. :shruggy:

Charger1973

Quote from: migsBIG on March 03, 2008, 09:42:00 PM
I really don't think the charger is a donkey. I'm just saying I am needing help deciding which one gets rodded and which one goes away. :shruggy:

The Polara is a cruiser man...  If you want to go fast and look good, build the RT.   :Twocents:

mikesbbody

Quote from: migsBIG on March 03, 2008, 09:42:00 PM
no. i meant the c body is the donkey but you knew what i meant didnt you  :lol: if not ill say it again go with the charger  :2thumbs:

migsBIG

Yeah, I had th throw that in there. The polara is nice, easy and such. The Charger is loosing big time to the tuna boat. All the C-body guys have been e-mailing me and saying I should gut the charger and use the parts in the polara! :rofl:

As for cruisers, I have four of them already, so cruiser is out and a bruiser is in!