News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

classic insured car as a daily driver?

Started by kylem4711, February 28, 2008, 11:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylem4711

i have a question,

does anybody have their car insured as classic, but drive it daily?

i am thinking of buying a viper, so i want to see if anyone does.

i would be switching from my charger and viper (if i get one) as daily drivers.

1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Ryan

none of the classic insurance companies will insure a classic as a daily driver thats one of the main rules for it being insured by that type of policy.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

kylem4711

justin1987

Quote from: kylem4711 on February 29, 2008, 12:05:04 AM
yeah, but how will they know?

Some insurance companies have yearly mileage restrictions.

694spdRT

The more important question is how do you know they won't send out an adjuster to investigate, deny the claim, and leave you without coverage after an accident. You will need to have another vehicle insured as a daily driver to even qualify. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

oldcarnut

I have a 70 Challenger and a 68 Firebird Sprint convertible that is a daily driver for work, play, Walmart trips, or whatever.  Its insured as a regular driver but with stated classic values if something should happen. I had put my kids on them as its cheaper for them (me) because of the vehicle age.  My 69 Coronet R/T and the 31 Ford Roadster I had is insured as a classic. I don't have limits on milage, where its parked, or too many other restrictions other than its supposed to be driven primarily to car shows and car events. The definition of a car event is kinda left open to me from the agent.  I can have some joy ride outings in it occasionally but here's the catch.  If it gets caught up in an accident or similar while in route, lets say to work one day, and I don't have a good believable reason for using it (believe me I would), I leave myself open to being rejected for coverage because it was being driven outside of what it was insured for at a much cheaper rate. Its likely that I would be driving it to get parts, worked on, or getting ready for a show etc.  ;), but there is that odd chance that I get a unappreciative adjuster.  If your classic insurance is similar, then you need to be aware that you could be subject to some scrutiny or coverage rejection too so best to have some good reasons already in mind before something would happen.  Sure lots of people do it, but at what risk? :shruggy:

kylem4711

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 29, 2008, 12:24:31 AM
I have a 70 Challenger and a 68 Firebird Sprint convertible that is a daily driver for work, play, Walmart trips, or whatever.  Its insured as a regular driver but with stated classic values if something should happen. I had put my kids on them as its cheaper for them (me) because of the vehicle age.  My 69 Coronet R/T and the 32 Ford Roadster I had is insured as a classic. I don't have limits on milage, where its parked, or too many other restrictions other than its supposed to be driven primarily to car shows and car events. The definition of a car event is kinda left open to me from the agent.  I can have some joy ride outings in it occasionally but here's the catch.  If it gets caught up in an accident or similar while in route, lets say to work one day, and I don't have a good believable reason for using it (believe me I would), I leave myself open to being rejected for coverage because it was being driven outside of what it was insured for at a much cheaper rate. Its likely that I would be driving it to get parts, worked on, or getting ready for a show etc.  ;), but there is that odd chance that I get a unappreciative adjuster.  If your classic insurance is similar, then you need to be aware that you could be subject to some scrutiny or coverage rejection too so best to have some good reasons already in mind before something would happen.  Sure lots of people do it, but at what risk? :shruggy:

thanks for taking the time to write that. the reason that i want to do this is because i am young, so i am fearful about what the insurance will be for a 97 viper.

694spdRT

Does anyone know if the classic insurance companies even insure a Viper? The reason I ask is because a friend wanted to insure his '99 Trans Am convertible through one of the classis insurers. They initially said if it was just a standard Trans AM that did not have some type of limited edition status it could not even be insured. The only reason they did finally allow it was because he had several other old cars on the policy already and he calmly :RantExplode: mentioned dropping everything.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

kylem4711

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 29, 2008, 12:49:32 AM
Does any know if the classic insurnace companies even insure a Viper? The reason I ask is because a friend wanted to insure his '99 Trans Am convertible through one of the classis insurers. They initially said if it was just a standard Trans AM that did not have some type of limited edition status it could not even be insured. The only reason they did finally allow it was because he had several other old cars on the policy already and he calmly :RantExplode: mentioned dropping everything.   

hmm, good point!!
ha, i will need to check in to that first.

anyone know a rough estimate of what it would cost to insure a viper to a 21 year old?
would it lower the price at all because its a 1997?

694spdRT

Quote from: kylem4711 on February 29, 2008, 12:54:11 AM
anyone know a rough estimate of what it would cost to insure a viper to a 21 year old?

Unfortunately it is probably the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" deal. The premium might be a little less due to the cars age, but I am guessing your age is going to be the problem.  :sorry:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

kylem4711

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 29, 2008, 01:02:22 AM

Unfortunately it is probably the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" deal. The premium might be a little less due to the cars age, but I am guessing your age it going to be the problem.  :sorry:

yeah i understand, i guess im just hoping that with the car being a 97 and me having been driving for 6 years now, that the insurance would be manageable

i can afford the car,  i am just wondering if i can afford to be driving it.

this is why im thinking about the classic car insurance.

Ryan

Well I know whare you are coming from dude, Im 22 and have the charger, and a zo6 vette. Insurance is a bitch when you are under 25. You cant even get classic insurance if you are under 25. I had to have my charger insured under my fathers name becuase they wouldnt insure me, even though I have another car and a clean record. I also ended up having the vette insured under my dads name becuae of how much these places tried to charge me to insure it.......$350 a month was the cheepest I could find, and I have a cleen record......thats bull. So I just I my beater insured in my name now. I would recomend trying the same with the viper if you can, because being 21 you are not going to be able to get collector/exotic car insurance. And if you did and you decided to chance driving it everyday you are risking more than just your viper if you crash. If you hit somone going to work and put them in the hospital and total their car and the insurance company tells you to F. off guess who is going to be getting sued for all of the damages, plus paying to get a smashed up viper fixed. Hope I didnt ruin anything for you, just trying to help because I have been in your place before and that is what I have learned.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: kylem4711 on February 29, 2008, 01:15:01 AM
Quote from: 694spdRT on February 29, 2008, 01:02:22 AM

Unfortunately it is probably the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" deal. The premium might be a little less due to the cars age, but I am guessing your age it going to be the problem.  :sorry:

yeah i understand, i guess im just hoping that with the car being a 97 and me having been driving for 6 years now, that the insurance would be manageable

i can afford the car,  i am just wondering if i can afford to be driving it.

this is why im thinking about the classic car insurance.

Get married real quick & put it under your wife's name ;).....although some states have insurance higher for women :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

kylem4711

Quote from: Ryan on February 29, 2008, 01:57:47 AM
Well I know whare you are coming from dude, Im 22 and have the charger, and a zo6 vette. Insurance is a bitch when you are under 25. You cant even get classic insurance if you are under 25. I had to have my charger insured under my fathers name becuase they wouldnt insure me, even though I have another car and a clean record. I also ended up having the vette insured under my dads name becuae of how much these places tried to charge me to insure it.......$350 a month was the cheepest I could find, and I have a cleen record......thats bull. So I just I my beater insured in my name now. I would recomend trying the same with the viper if you can, because being 21 you are not going to be able to get collector/exotic car insurance. And if you did and you decided to chance driving it everyday you are risking more than just your viper if you crash. If you hit somone going to work and put them in the hospital and total their car and the insurance company tells you to F. off guess who is going to be getting sued for all of the damages, plus paying to get a smashed up viper fixed. Hope I didnt ruin anything for you, just trying to help because I have been in your place before and that is what I have learned.

naw dude you didnt.

thanks for the info.

im thinking i will just put it under my parents name too. they will be the primary drivers.

and i will just keep my charger as a classic and pay 3 hundred and whatever it is for a year.

70charginglizard

Quote from: justin1987 on February 29, 2008, 12:17:16 AM

Just change the speedo gear out to something that makes the mileage run up real slow...lol
70charginglizard

daytonalo

I think you need a daily driver that is just that ! No INS co is going to believe your 1968 whatever is a daily driver ! If you are for real driving that old junk daily , you should not be surprised when some Grandmom plows into you !!!!!!!

bull

Many classic car insurers are pretty lenient on how much you use your classic car. Hagerty is that way. They limit you on usage but they really don't have a mileage limit written down in their policies to my knowledge. I believe it's kind of done on an honor system right now but I'm sure if there are too many guys like Kaylem out there who try to abuse it they will get more strict. So thanks in advance for screwing the rest of us. :2thumbs:

justin1987

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 29, 2008, 02:59:38 PM
Quote from: justin1987 on February 29, 2008, 12:17:16 AM

Just change the speedo gear out to something that makes the mileage run up real slow...lol

Or just disconnect it.  :D

alfanta

Quote from: daytonalo on February 29, 2008, 03:13:54 PM
I think you need a daily driver that is just that ! No INS co is going to believe your 1968 whatever is a daily driver ! If you are for real driving that old junk daily , you should not be surprised when some Grandmom plows into you !!!!!!!

I agree 100%. use the money and buy yourself a nice new 328xi or something like that. you will have NO maintenance fees on it for the next 4 years, EVERYTHING is covered in the warrenty, you can take people with you, you will be able to take it in bad weather much more reliably than the viper, there are TONS of reasons for NOT buying that viper. lol

you could even check out the new caddy cts. I test drove one of those the other day with the 304 hp DI. that was fun.

kylem4711

Quote from: daytonalo on February 29, 2008, 03:13:54 PM

huh?
i want a viper to be my daily driver.  what 68 are you talking about

i have no idea what you are trying to say

kylem4711

Quote from: bull on February 29, 2008, 04:16:47 PM
Many classic car insurers are pretty lenient on how much you use your classic car. Hagerty is that way. They limit you on usage but they really don't have a mileage limit written down in their policies to my knowledge. I believe it's kind of done on an honor system right now but I'm sure if there are too many guys like Kaylem out there who try to abuse it they will get more strict. So thanks in advance for screwing the rest of us. :2thumbs:

i kind of want to get hagerty and have them change the rules just to spite you now.  :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: kylem4711 on March 01, 2008, 05:53:47 PM
Quote from: bull on February 29, 2008, 04:16:47 PM

i kind of want to get hagerty and have them change the rules just to spite you now.  :2thumbs:

:nana: Knock yourself out.

runninhorn

oh my..........viper as a daily, good luck. Mine lasted 3 weeks and I was DONE with it as a Daily.

kylem4711

Quote from: runninhorn on March 01, 2008, 06:29:49 PM
oh my..........viper as a daily, good luck. Mine lasted 3 weeks and I was DONE with it as a Daily.

how come?

gas?

runninhorn

Quote from: kylem4711 on March 01, 2008, 09:06:05 PM
Quote from: runninhorn on March 01, 2008, 06:29:49 PM

how come?

gas?

um, no, its just that it was the worst daily driver ever- cramped, burning legs, no a/c, ride, etc.