News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Camaro Question

Started by TruckDriver, February 28, 2008, 07:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I know some stuff about Camaros, but I haven't been around them in years. So, this is why I am asking. I have a chance to pick up a '73 Camaro for $1,000, that is mostly complete(see pic). The original buckets are gone, but he will toss some in. It has the original 350 4bbl motor, it is an automatic car, 10 bolt posi with stock gears (he thinks 2:73 just from calculating the wheel spin). It has factory rear window defrost, rear spoiler and disk brakes. The body is rough but all there, and the frame rails are solid. He said the lower quarters are rusted through as well as the lower doors and front floor pans. Typical Wisconsin car. He said it wouldn't take much to get it drivable again. He is a Mustang guy, not a Chevy guy. I asked him if it was a Z28, and he said he has no clue.
My questions......

I don't care what model it is, but do you guys think the car is worth it?

Could this car be a Z28 with the 2:73 gears?

Where would I look for numbers to tell me what model the car is?

I'm supposed to go to see it next week, what should I look for that is not obvious?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

restoman

Yeah, its probably worth it. That is a nice body style, ya know, for a Chevy. :)
A Z look alike would be easy to do. Parts are reasonably plentiful, and that style is getting popular. I love those small rear windows.

JT01

I have a 71 original SS 350 camaro so I know alot about camaros. If the price is right it is worth it. In 73 the SS option was dropped and replaced with the type lt option. The trim tag will tell you if it is a Z28 or not if the camaro was built in Ohio it will say Z28 on it California built cars didnt do this but the vin number if it has a T in it then its a Z28 no matter where it was built. You also can tell if it is a type lt from the vin. Then you have the Rally Sport option RS which has the split bumbers the extended nose piece and has the round parking light beside the headlight some people get this option confused because the split bumbers will fit on the standard full bumber front nose and  people think it is a RS but its not it has to have all the other to be a RS. Pretty much the RS just has the different front nose and the RS otion can be added to a Z28 or type lt when this done the Z28 or lt will get the RS front nose. I would say if it has a good frame then all the other work is easy.  Here is a pic of my 71                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Daytona R/T SE

I did the rust repair/panel replacement/resurrection of the body shell on one of these a few years ago. Watch out for the area where the front of the leaf springs bolt to the floor-it's a double layer of sheet metal there and if it's rusted out, it'a a real BITCH to fix! Been there, done that! Also pay attention to where the rear quarters meet the rocker panels and check the Dash board for rust. The dashboard is welded into the car and the windshield sits down on it and holds moisture, causing rusted out dashes. Another weak spot of these cars is the seam where the rear quarters meet the roof at the upper rear corner of the door glass (when rolled up) this area is very prone to cracking. The front subframes tend to rust out in the immediate vicinity of the body mounts, the rubber gets old, cracks and holds moisture and rusts the subframe out around the mounting holes-good subframes were getting hard to find several years ago when I fixed this car, so beware.

69bronzeT5

I'd get it :cheers:. I love 69-73 Camaros.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

JT01

The trim tag is on the drivers side firewall on the top. The vin is located on the top of the drivers side dash you can see it through the windsheild so thats not a problem to find the vin. It wouldnt be a Z28 if it has 2.73s in it but that could of been changed by someone.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on February 28, 2008, 10:59:55 PM
I did the rust repair/panel replacement/resurrection of the body shell on one of these a few years ago. Watch out for the area where the front of the leaf springs bolt to the floor-it's a double layer of sheet metal there and if it's rusted out, it'a a real BITCH to fix! Been there, done that! Also pay attention to where the rear quarters meet the rocker panels and check the Dash board for rust. The dashboard is welded into the car and the windshield sits down on it and holds moisture, causing rusted out dashes. Another weak spot of these cars is the seam where the rear quarters meet the roof at the upper rear corner of the door glass (when rolled up) this area is very prone to cracking. The front subframes tend to rust out in the immediate vicinity of the body mounts, the rubber gets old, cracks and holds moisture and rusts the subframe out around the mounting holes-good subframes were getting hard to find several years ago when I fixed this car, so beware.

Thanks. I'll take this info with me when I go look at it so I don't forget. He said the front floors have holes, but the rear of the car is solid(except for the lower rear quarters).

Quote from: JT01 on February 29, 2008, 05:40:58 AM
It wouldnt be a Z28 if it has 2.73s in it but that could of been changed by someone.

He said the car still has it's original drive train/rear axle. I don't remember for sure, but I didn't think 2:73's were avaliable in the 10 bolt rear?
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Joshua

I've been looking at Camaros lately to build a drag car for my wife......$1000 seems to be right in line with what I've been finding in my area.....
Camaros are so easy....every part is available....and they handle pretty good too...

694spdRT

Here are the available gear ratios in 1973 according to f body.org.

Rear end ratios available
(O=open, P=posi):
2.73o, 3.08p, 3.08o, 3.36p, 3.36o, 3.42p, 3.42o, 3.55p

Looks like 2.73 was not available with posi.

If the axle has been swapped with another year Camaro 10 bolt then there are all kinds ratios all the way from 2.41 posi to 3.73 posi. 

Here is the tech link: http://www.f-body.org/tech/tech.htm#1973
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

TruckDriver

Well, again, the guy isn't a Camaro guy, he told me that. He was guessing at the axle ratio from wheel spin I guess. He said it is the original rear end in the car. I'm begining to think this car is a Z28 or a LT. I just hope he doesn't sell it before I can go to see it. He said he is in no hurry though.
PETE

JT01

I just checked some of my camaro bookls and in 73 the only axel ratio for the Z28 was 3.73s. 2.73scame in the standard models with either the 307 or 350 motors. Also to tell a type lt from the vin the vin will start out as 1FS87 were all other camaros start out as 1FQ87

hotrod98

I say buy it. Even the Camaros are getting hard to find nowadays. I've owned several and should have held on to a few of them. I'm building a 70 Z28 to use as a daily driver at the present time. I have a 95 LT1 automatic for it so it should get decent fuel mileage. I no longer use any of my mopars as daily drivers. Too many idiots on the road.
At least with the Camaros you can buy practically every part brand new so if it gets wrecked, you just call up Classic Industries and tell them what you need.
I'll still drive one of the Cudas to the local cruise-ins though. The Camaro gets to rest on cruise night.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

rav440

i will stand corrected if im wrong .  :shruggy: i used to be up on my Z28s being i had a 81 Z28 be my mind is filling up with all the MOPAR info i can gather so all the info i had in my brain has either been deleted or overwritten .

so from what i can remember about Z28s  70-81

they all had 15" wheels heavy duty sway bars front and rear 7/8" or 1"  :shruggy: Z28s have a totaly differant front suspension IE " tie rods ect they also have a fender tag like MOPAR has that is stamped Z28 .

brain freeze  :icon_smile_big:

also there are no 1975 & 1976 Z28s
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

JT01

You are right no 75 or 76 Z28s All camaros had trim tags norwood Ohio camaros had Z28 stamped on them and some of the 70s and 71 Z28s had just a 28 on them SS350 Camaros had Z27 stamped on them and SS396s had either Z27 plus L78 or L34 on them. Cailfornia built camaros had trim tags but no stamping of Z28 or Z27 on them and yes the Z28s had a diferent suspension 15 inch wheels were standard on Z28s