News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Odd rust removal

Started by joesykora, February 27, 2008, 10:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I think for general rust removal the acid bath works best hands down, but for little stuff thats delicate, I would use the electrolysis method.
I used the electrolysis way on my ash tray assembly, it has slight rust and black stains from cigarettes twenty some years ago and it came out almost like new. The cool part is it left the (galvanized?) coating on it and looks like it was never used. The uncool part is the ball bearing rollers turned black.

bull

I'd start a new thread but this one has a bunch of cool pictures. :2thumbs:

Anyway, I've been considering the purchase of a media blasting cabinet but I'm interested in this Evaporust stuff. Does anyone know if it takes paint off too or just rust off bare metal? If it only works on rusty bare metal then I might as well buy a cabinet.

Nevermind. I just found this on their site: Anodizing, Cobalt Tungsten Carbide, Powder Coating, Chrome, Nickel, Paint, and most other coatings will not be removed as long as they do not contain oxides. EVAPO-RUST will not harm lead or solder points.

riggs626

technically If one had a big enough tub say swimming pool size you could treat the whole damn car  :scratchchin:

TylerCharger69

I use muriatic acid.....

lexxman

I think I have some of that in my garage or some thing like it.I'll check and get back to you.

bordin34

I used electrolysis and it actually works, slow but it works. The cool part is you can watch the rust flow toward the rebar. If you use muriatic acid, keep it away from anything you don't want to rust, it will remove paint, rust, aluminum, skin, and also is bad if you inhale.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ