News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Boyd Coddington is dead..

Started by NorwayCharger, February 27, 2008, 01:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I wonder if it was a heart attack?  I don't remember him being sick, Maybe it was something he contracted from that burried plymouth in Oklahoma.  My prayers go out to his family.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

69chargerboy

WOW, No kidding...... 63 years old. Still too young......... :angel:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

terrible one

Definitely unexpected. I thought the thread title wasn't literal! What a shame, even if he was knocked by the whole board.

The70RT

Wow. He didn't look 63. I guess you never know.....R.I.P.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: MorePwr on February 27, 2008, 02:15:04 PM
:rotz:  Lets have a Hawaiian shirt day in honor  :D

Here's mine but i'm currently in the Dominican Republic. Is it still OK? BTW. No Mopars here. Was hoping to see the tailend of a Hemi "whatever" poking out of a garage but there are no garages here.  The place is full of Nissans and Suzuki and Kawasaki 2 strokes. USA here I come!
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

694spdRT

Really surprising but I guess that is how it happens sometimes.

RIP
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

chargerboy69

I was shocked to see this. The guy made some great wheels.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Pistolpete

RIP.........love'em or hate'em he did have a big impact.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

chargerrt

Holy cow!  It's a shame, I really liked some of his work.  RIP

Charger_Fan

Holy crap, that's a name I didn't expect to see on the 'ol RIP list. :o

Even though his name has become a bit chiche' lately, he's definitely left a postive mark in the gearhead world. RIP, Boyd. :angel:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dads_69

Wow, this is guy that we loved to hate pretty much. He treated his crew like crap on the TV show, true or false, who knows how he was in person. He was talented, I'll give him that. I wanted to hopefully meet him someday, as much as I disliked him at the same time. I'm a car guy, customizer, fab tech, body man painter 20 years now. This just goes to prove, life is to short. His old partner/body man Roy died a while ago also, he must have wanted some company.
R.I.P.      old Hot Rodder  :drive:
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

TeeWJay426

That's a shocker.... 63 is too young. Love him or not, he was certainly a talented guy who had a big impact on the automotive world. RIP, Boyd. :engel016:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

68RT4ME

You just never know. :shruggy:  When it's your time, it's your time. Heres to you Boyd  :cheers: RIP.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

69bronzeT5

Damn, that was REALLY unexpected. I thought this thread was a joke until I saw the link. R.I.P Boyd :angel:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69_500

Definatley not something that I was expecting to hear. I wasn't too impressed with a lot of his work, but there was definately other things that his shop did that was very impressive. I guess the same can be said about many shops. Some things they do totally blow me away, but then I see other stuff, and its kind of a  :scratchchin:

68chrgrwife

it really blew me away.  I had to call hubby and tell him.  I can't believe that he just died like that.  Hubby is wondering if the price of his rims will go down now...Personally I think that all his stuff is gonna sky rocket since you won't be able to buy the stuff anymore.....should we buy up things while the prices are still low?
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Goldfinger71

R.I.P.. :angel:I was at a loss of words when I heard earlier this morning! Plus there really much onlina about him earlier today so before I assumed I wanted more info.The articles started being posted about it.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Neal_J

Wow, when I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought "B.S.". How very sad.

Damn that rusty Tulsa Plymouth Fury!!!!!!   It's all HER fault!

Peace,

Neal

Troy

I'm surprised to see this too. If he's been to the hospital recently it could be nearly anything (reaction to medication, complications, bird flu, etc.) but it seems like he was having something checked out. I generally don't put much thought into celebrities nor do I care much about their lives but he definitely had in impact on the automobile hobby.

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on February 27, 2008, 05:02:01 PM
it really blew me away.  I had to call hubby and tell him.  I can't believe that he just died like that.  Hubby is wondering if the price of his rims will go down now...Personally I think that all his stuff is gonna sky rocket since you won't be able to buy the stuff anymore.....should we buy up things while the prices are still low?
They sold off the wheel business to American Racing a couple of years ago. Just because he died doesn't mean the rest of his business will fold either. His old stuff (when he still actually worked on the cars) just might go up in value though. Not sure about anything newer.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

Wether people liked him or not, He was right up there at the top of the list. He never did look really healthy, But none the less,  it was definitely unexpected.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bull

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 27, 2008, 05:50:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Coddington

According to this link, "He died on February 27, 2008 while working on a car. While underneath a new hot rod being constructed, the transmission slipped into gear and the vehicle rolled over his neck. He was killed instantly."

I don't know how a car can slip INTO gear but that's what it says. :shruggy: Probably BS.

Tilar

***Until his death, Coddington had a 50,000 square feet (5,000 m²) garage located in La Habra, California and had 70 employees. He died on February 27, 2008 from liver failure.***

Dave  

Steve P.

Liver Failure.... 

{They sold off the wheel business to American Racing a couple of years ago. Just because he died doesn't mean the rest of his business will fold either. His old stuff (when he still actually worked on the cars) just might go up in value though. Not sure about anything newer.}

Actually I recently read that they have taken the WHEEL SALE back from AR and it is now back in house.

Also I now know why I didn't hear back from Boyd Jr.  I think we will probably see Boyd Jr. take over the business. That will more than likely mean that DWAYNE will be on a short road out. 

RIP Boyd.  We will all see you again one day.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JimShine

I wonder what took his liver out. Drink? Exposure to paint fumes over the years? The Belevedere in Tulsa? Maybe all 3?

Tilar

You know, It's hard for me to believe that it was liver failure without someone leaking that he was having health problems... I don't think that liver failure will take you out that fast... Takes a week or two at minimum.  Unless he knew he had it all along and just made everyone not tell, which would surprise me that it was kept secret that long.  :shruggy:
Dave  

Chatt69chgr

I am sorry to see that he has passed.  He was a "character" and brought a lot of attention to the old car/hot rod/muscle car hobby.  But I will admit that I wasn't a fan of his.  I quit watching him after he fired that young girl that came to work for them.  And it seemed that a lot of the good guys he had in the shop quit and went elsewhere too. 

It's a shame that there aren't more good car shows on TV.  They have made most of them into "reality tv" shows.  If you get to see much of anything on them that actually details how to do something, it's as if it's almost by accident.  I don't think they really care one whit about cars.  It's just a way for them to make a buck.  They would show trained monkeys throwing banannas at zoo attendees if they thought people would watch it.

I guess I should be happy that there are still some halfway decent car/truck shows on at all.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Steve P. on February 27, 2008, 06:23:12 PM

Actually I recently read that they have taken the WHEEL SALE back from AR and it is now back in house.

I just received a new set of Boyds 2 weeks ago. All the packing materials and packing slips all said "American Racing".

That is why you receieve your Boyd wheels in 6 weeks or less, and not 6 months is beacause ARE run it.  ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Quote from: Tilar on February 27, 2008, 06:15:10 PM
***Until his death, Coddington had a 50,000 square feet (5,000 m²) garage located in La Habra, California and had 70 employees. He died on February 27, 2008 from liver failure.***

They edited that pretty quickly.

Steve P.

Quote from: Tilar on February 27, 2008, 07:57:20 PM
You know, It's hard for me to believe that it was liver failure without someone leaking that he was having health problems... I don't think that liver failure will take you out that fast... Takes a week or two at minimum.  Unless he knew he had it all along and just made everyone not tell, which would surprise me that it was kept secret that long.  :shruggy:

Back on Jan. 8th I posted something about the new GREG WELD wheels. I had spoken with someone from Greg Weld Motorsports that day about the wheels and I was supposed to get good pics. to post from their rep.  The rep. is/was Boyd Cottington Jr. I did not receive a call back from him at the time due to him going back home for a family emergency.  It sounds to me like we now know what the emergency was. I just hope Jr. was around to say good bye.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charginglizard

I didn't really like the guy all that much but he was a car guy and as such

RIP Mr Coddington.
70charginglizard

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

moparstuart

Quote from: Steve P. on February 27, 2008, 08:40:22 PM
Quote from: Tilar on February 27, 2008, 07:57:20 PM

Back on Jan. 8th I posted something about the new GREG WELD wheels. I had spoken with someone from Greg Weld Motorsports that day about the wheels and I was supposed to get good pics. to post from their rep.  The rep. is/was Boyd Cottington Jr. I did not receive a call back from him at the time due to him going back home for a family emergency.  It sounds to me like we now know what the emergency was. I just hope Jr. was around to say good bye.

will jr. be able to run the buisness  they cinda make him out to be a moron on the show .  But is he really or do they just slant it that way ? 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

LeeBoy

Wikipedia is now saying the cause of death was a lacerated ulcer. I had read a week ago that he had fallen at home and had been in and out of the hospital a couple times since then http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb656503.htm . I must say I couldn't believe he was gone when I heard the news!
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

bull

Quote from: LeeBoy on February 27, 2008, 10:32:18 PM
Wikipedia is now saying the cause of death was a lacerated ulcer.

That's the third different explanation from them today.

EDIT** scratch that. Wikipedia now says the cause of death is unknown. What a great source of information! :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on February 27, 2008, 02:29:47 PM

Here's mine but i'm currently in the Dominican Republic. Is it still OK? BTW. No Mopars here. Was hoping to see the tailend of a Hemi "whatever" poking out of a garage but there are no garages here.  The place is full of Nissans and Suzuki and Kawasaki 2 strokes. USA here I come!

Thanks for covering up your face, dude. I'm sure you've done us all a big favor. :2thumbs: ;)

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: bull on February 27, 2008, 10:58:57 PM

Thanks for covering up your face, dude. I'm sure you've done us all a big favor. :2thumbs: ;)
:haha: :haha: :haha:  Sorry , RIP Boyd :angel:

Hemidog

Wow, that is a shocker, I just saw a rerun of American Hot Rod yesterday. RIP.

Mike DC

Yeah, it's surprising. 

He seemed like he had at least another 15 years in him.   

1969chargerrtse

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

Kinda makes you want to check americas most wanted list since he covererd his face....could be more Charger money  :laugh:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemi68charger

Lordy !!!!  Way too young !!!!!

RIP Boyd...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69pistolgripRT

I have diabetes and Boyd Coddington suffered from diabetes for years and is fairly well known as outspoken concerning the condition. Some of the side effects of serious diabetes conditions include heart and liver failure- often brought on by a lifelong dependancy on injected insulin. Liver failure as reported by many media outlets seems a logical explanation given his health industry. Sadly, liver failure is anything but quick or sudden.
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

kylem4711

terrible.

i always drive by his shop in la habra, CA
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed