News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint color...Tough choice....Thoughts????

Started by lilwendal, February 26, 2008, 09:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

I say paint the car whatever color you want. But I would also say that you shouldn't worry about making up a fake fender tag for the car. Just leave the origional tag on the car, and proudly display it with the car. Other wise someone will come along and see the fake tag, figure its legit. And then 20 years from now you decide to sell the car and there is a big argument over the origional color of the car because people have it recorded as being factory this color or that color for the past 20+ years. If it was my car, I'd paing it whatever color I want.

Ah who am I kidding, I can't even bring myself to change the interior or stripe color on my car. Pay no attention to my opinion. Its double sided.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on February 27, 2008, 07:40:15 AM
Ultimately it's your car, so you can pick whatever you want.

However......      since you asked.....  :scratchchin:

I'd leave it GREEN!!!!! Matching numbers, 6-pack, 4-spd, air grabber, Dana, etc??? No brainer.
Purists aside, I think it's refreshing to see a high profile Mopar painted in it's original color. Amongst a sea of cars all painted hi-impact colors (90% of those which aren't the original color), it's the brown, green, bronze, etc colored cars that STAND OUT. They take on an almost "elegant" look to them.
When done right, with a nice professionally applied paint job, they look stunning. If you asked me this question 15 years ago, my answer may have been different. However, now that I'm a little older, I can appreciate those other overlooked, often underrated colors much more.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
:Twocents:

Well said Bill...I agree 100%
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

With that car if it were mine I would have to leave it green.....and I don't even like green that much. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

lilwendal

Thanks guys for all the input. I went back and looked again at the 69 F8 hemi charger on 69hemi.com and do agree I could learn to love that color on the right car.  With a charger you have the butt stripe that breaks up the green some but not on the RR. I think a black top helps also.  Maybe go with the green and a black top then. Easier to change a vinyil top out latter than to repaint.
OK calling Legendary in the morning. Green it will be then.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lilwendal on February 27, 2008, 09:27:12 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I went back and looked again at the 69 F8 hemi charger on 69hemi.com and do agree I could learn to love that color on the right car.  With a charger you have the butt stripe that breaks up the green some but not on the RR. I think a black top helps also.  Maybe go with the green and a black top then. Easier to change a vinyil top out latter than to repaint.
OK calling Legendary in the morning. Green it will be then.

:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

hemi-hampton

lilwendal

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on February 27, 2008, 09:54:10 PM
orange............  :flush:   
WOW!
Its just with me certain cars ...I like certain colors.  I would never have a orange charger.  B5 with B7 interior and white top and stripe.
Cuda....Gotta be In Violet
Challenger..Sub lime
And Roadrunner I like the Tor Red which yes is orange.
But I must say the car I just finished  was R6 red and that sure was purdy :yesnod:

lilwendal

Couple more.....

69bronzeT5

BEAUTIFUL Coronet! :drool5:

If I had a 70 Roadrunner, it would be in one of these colours... :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Aero426

Quote from: lilwendal on February 26, 2008, 09:33:28 PM
Well I'm getting ready to start the 6 pack car and I've got to make the decision on color.  Car is a 70 RR 440 6 pack 4 speed with track pack and air grabber. Numbers matching all around from carbs to dana. This one is a keeper for me so effects of color on price are errelevant.
Heres my problem...  car is triple green  F8 dark green metallic. I admitt that dark gereen metallic is a pretty color but I'm just not a fan of green.
I always wanted a Vitamin C or Tor Red  Runner.
Would it be sinful to take a numbers matching car and lay down a non original paint?  I know the current trend is to repaint off the build sheet or fender tag.  Specially for numbers matching jobs.  I'm worried if I did go with  the color i want and not the green I'd take grief from the type of guys that walk up to a car and immediately look down at the fender tag before anything else.
Should I go with what I like and get a repop fender tag with my color and keep the original locked up?  I can't not have a fender tag.
My local Mopar buddies are all pushing me towards the green but I just don't know.
Its a 6 pack 4 speed dana RR :2thumbs: it shouldn't be green ;)

Observing cars at a show and owner's paint choices would lead you to believe that every 1970 Road Runner came in a high impact color, which of course is not true.   That said, your F8 car with fresh paint WILL stand out from the crowd. 

Personally, what you do to your car is up to you.   But if I view you as CARETAKER of a pretty desirable car like yours,   I would have serious reservations about changing color, even though I am also not a fan of F8.    Sure it is easy for others to say color is reversable, but at what cost?  Plus EVERYTHING will have to come apart to change it back.     Yes, if you change color, you will probably get some grief from others.    Yes, you will compromise value some, even though you say you won't sell. 

Is it wise to make another incorrect fender tag?    I think that's a terrible idea that could easily come back and bite a future owner two or three cars down the line.   I've seen it happen locally.     When you are dead and nobody knows where the real tag is stashed, or the next owner chooses to conveinently lose it, well then you've done a dis-service to the car. 

My take on it is simply this.  If you are not happy with the original color combo,  find the right car to please you.    But don't make the car something it isn't.    I understand the temptation to make the car a more pleasing color as I am in a similar situation.   If this was a more common car, I wouldn't feel at all strongly about changing color.     And as mentioned, Tor-Red and Vitamin-C are pretty common colors.   

Mike DC

I guess it depends on what situation you really have in mind for the car to "stand out" in.

At a classic car show, it's true that the more sedate colors can stand out as much as the hi-impact colors.  But the other 95% of the time when you're cruising in the real world is a different story.  The real world is a sea of modern plastic sedans in every sedate color you can imagine. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To each his own.  Nothing wrong with a green Mopar. 

I just say paint it whatever you want.  Leave all the fender tags original, whether the tag's markings show the color that's on the car or not. 

Joshua

Wanna make it stand out?
DON'T paint it a factory color.....Or, if you do, at least add a little pearl in the clear to give it that little extra "something"...... ya know? :scratchchin:

Remember, this car is a keeper, so paint it a color that YOU really like....not what the fender tag says......regardless of how "rare" the color option is.....triple green is ugly.....
All this factory paint code talk makes me dizzy...... :icon_smile_big:

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Joshua on February 28, 2008, 04:49:55 PM
Wanna make it stand out?
DON'T paint it a factory color.....Or, if you do, at least add a little pearl in the clear to give it that little extra "something"...... ya know? :scratchchin:

Remember, this car is a keeper, so paint it a color that YOU really like....not what the fender tag says......regardless of how "rare" the color option is.....triple green is ugly.....
All this factory paint code talk makes me dizzy...... :icon_smile_big:

I agree with this 100%.....

This discussion kind of never makes me want have a 6 pack,r/t or hemi car. To many numbers people saying leave it alone or dont change this or change that -I say  :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
I'll let them folks argue about the numbers but meanwhile I'll take my original 318 powered car, build it my way,beat on it, put the blood sweat and tears into and most of all......... Enjoy it!!!! Build the car of your dreams! That is always the one that will make you happy!!

If you ever wanted to sell you'd probably get more $$$$ obviously out the factory colors but when you get tired of the numbers game you'd could sell the roadrunner and buy a sweet '70 sattelite build a 512 big block for it and beat on it like you stole it. Now thats my Idea of fun.
I'll never care about negative comments toward my rides at shows. Funny thing is that the comments usually come from someone who has never built a car nor do they know what effort it takes to do so.....
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Hemidoug

I don't know why so many people don't like green. With the quality paints now a days the color will stay as fresh as day one. How many of you would turn this car down because it's green?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Aero426

Quote from: Hemidoug on February 28, 2008, 09:54:03 PM
I don't know why so many people don't like green. With the quality paints now a days the color will stay as fresh as day one. How many of you would turn this car down because it's green?

I sure wouldn't.  Again not my favorite, but things tend to grow on you too.   I also like that Tawny Gold met as well. 

Aero426

Quote from: Death1970Proof on February 28, 2008, 07:58:40 PM

This discussion kind of never makes me want have a 6 pack,r/t or hemi car. To many numbers people saying leave it alone or dont change this or change that -I say  :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
I'll let them folks argue about the numbers but meanwhile I'll take my original 318 powered car, build it my way,beat on it, put the blood sweat and tears into and most of all......... Enjoy it!!!! Build the car of your dreams! That is always the one that will make you happy!!

Part of the deal is truly understanding the collectible difference between a 318 Sat and a 6 pack stick Runner.  And that's not a put down to the lesser car.    The Sat born with the 318 is more of a weapons grade car.  If you want to, use it up.  Have fun.   The Runner is blue chip by virtue of the VIN and fender tag.   And sure, you can beat on it.   If you approach things with an eye on conserving the car and taking care of it for the future beyond your time with it,  you need to think twice about making major changes.    If the idea of knocking 15-20 percent off the value of your car is attractive, and you can accept that,  get out the color charts and spray away.  It's a big world and there's room for everyone.

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Hemidoug on February 28, 2008, 09:54:03 PM

Is that an F8 green on that???? It looks beautiful and I do like F8-- My '70 came in F8 -- I want it black and black it will be. I always said When I own a charger it will be black.
Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 28, 2008, 11:11:07 PM
Quote from: Death1970Proof on February 28, 2008, 07:58:40 PMNo way Id turn that car down...

Part of the deal is truly understanding the collectible difference between a 318 Sat and a 6 pack stick Runner.  And that's not a put down to the lesser car.    The Sat born with the 318 is more of a weapons grade car.  If you want to, use it up.  Have fun.   The Runner is blue chip by virtue of the VIN and fender tag.   And sure, you can beat on it. If you approach things with an eye on conserving the car and taking care of it for the future beyond your time with it,  you need to think twice about making major changes.    If the idea of knocking 15-20 percent off the value of your car is attractive, and you can accept that,  get out the color charts and spray away.  It's a big world and there's room for everyone.

I fully understand the value of a six pack runner w/a stick. Anybody should be proud to own that. The value thing can go either way but it's all a question of what the owner wants. If we all restored our cars stock and everyone did the same things with them this hobby would be dull. Being different is what makes the world go round and you only live once.  The main objective is to have fun whether youre doing a resto or tubbing it out  :2thumbs: :cheers:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Joshua

Quote from: Death1970Proof on February 29, 2008, 12:08:02 AM
The value thing can go either way but it's all a question of what the owner wants. If we all restored our cars stock and everyone did the same things with them this hobby would be dull. Being different is what makes the world go round and you only live once.  The main objective is to have fun whether youre doing a resto or tubbing it out  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Preach on brutha....
My car is an R/T....some people (resto freaks) *think* I screwed it up by converting over to a four speed and painting it a non-'68 color (it was that ugly-ass Gold color :eek2:), I also ripped out all the AC crap, and converted it over to manual steering........oh well. I'm making my car what I want it to be. :2thumbs:
It is a 1970 Mopar color though...hahaha.....although, it's getting pearl in it this summer....

I do like the green on the Charger above......but I wouldn't own it.....I see a green dash pad..... :nana: :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

i made up my own color...
but my car is a resto moded frankenstein monster anyhow...
I thought a dark navy blue would look classy on a charger, there was a dark blue but it was a mettalic and the one charger i saw painted that color a '68 looked good but not great, the mettalic seemed to make it look grainy in the sun... to me it detracted from the smoth flowing lines anyhow i decided i wanted a unique color so i went with the dark ink non mettallic blue and at the last moment I asked the painter to include a red tint to the paint so now it popps purple in the sun but usually looks black or blue in the shade. some folks are convinced it's plum crazy...  :lol:
I'm allways suprised how many folks ask what color they think others think their cars should be,.. and how most everyone sticks to the factory colors with some few exceptions like the jenni lees clones then it's ok to paint a non factory chevy red/orange cause that's what every one else does... i don't get it but i'm old and was thouroughly into chargers ten years before the one time i ever watched that dumb tv show..
  whatever...

KMPX2

A car like thats needs to stay the factory color

2nd69charger

:iagree: stay with f8 green, do it base clear, it makes a big difference

gordo1968charger

when i started mine it was going to be a stock resto,then i lost the way.but before i lost the way it was painted EE1,glad i did!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Brock Samson

i was just thinking noone ever paints their car gold...
or bronze,..
not that you should, but i can't think of a single gold car on this site other then my plymouth,..
anyhow, that red coronet up there looks freakin awesome!  :drool5:
If someone offered me a done up '70 plymouth B body in the color of my choice i agree with your orange/red choices...
i have some shots of a green B but it's a '69, but i think these picss will make the idea of a dark green plymouth rest alittle easier..

Brock Samson

i got one more if i can find it...

photo number 7..  :lol: