News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dont you hate liars!!!!

Started by lilwendal, February 25, 2008, 10:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

Man I cant believe the nerve of some people. I'm handling shiping for a Belgium buyer of this Ebay charger and when the car showed up.....
Nothing in his add was true.
Here is his opening statement.

YOU ARE LOOKING AT MY ORIGINAL1970 NUMBERS MATCHING PLUM CRAZY PURPLE DODGE CHARGER

THIS CAR HAS ORIGINAL 383 MAGNUM ENGINE WITH ORIGINAL 727 TRANSMISSION

CAR IS IT'S ORIGINAL PLUM CRAZY PURPLE COLOR, FC-7 PAINT CODE

I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR 10 YEARS AND IT HAS BEEN EXTREMLY WELL MAINTAINED

CAR HAS BEEN RESTORED AND IS IN EXCELLENT COND.

REBUILT 383 ENGINE

REBUILT 727 TRANS

NEW PAINT IN 2005 NEAR PERFECT

And heres the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250211738514&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

Well the car showed at my place and man what a polished turd.
Engine is a 1973 400. Not numbers matching.  Also not rebuilt.  Orange paint sprayed on top of grease and original turquise paint.
Someone swapped the original rear with an 8 1/4....  Another numbers matching lie.
Owned the car ten years he says.....excellently maintained..... Well the registration and insurance in the glove box has a different name so I call the person from the registration and he says he sold the car to the new seller in October...2007.. He told him it was not the original engine or rear and that the engine was "tired". That the car was rusty and needed paint and rust repair and  had not been driven in a while.
6 months equals 10 years in Penn. I guess.
Nothing works on  the car.  No wipers..headlight doors inop...  most of the gauges.. Radio inop..
Lots missing from the car. 
Restored... What a joke.  Fresh coat of cheap paint and some fancy rims and he calls that restored.
You should see the Frankenstein trunk.
I know how I would handle this but unfortunately an overseas buyer has alot less resources.
Nothing screams buyer beware more than this one.

Anyone have any ideas??? What can Ebay buyers protection do after the moneys been wired???
I'm sure this guy has several Ebay accounts and could care less if this one gets shut down.
Pisses me off.

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bull

It sure looks good in the pictures, for the most part. Just goes to show you how easily it is to hide flaws in pictures.

71ChallengeHer

If the trunk is rusty, lights don't work. wipers , etc. The car should have never passed PA inspection. 1st call the Pa State Police and turn in the garage for passing it. :Twocents:

68charger383

Sounds like only a lawyer can set this straight for the buyer.  :rotz:

Ebay safety protection won't apply for items discoverable if car was inspected.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

71ChallengeHer

It looks like the car is sitting in front of a garage. If the guy that owned the car inspected it , he could be in a lot of trouble.

69bronzeT5

Report it to Ebay and go from there. And for a hitman..may I suggest HITMAN 149? :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemihead

If you are just handling the shipping , why not let the buyer deal with it ? It is leaving the country anyway .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69charger2002

poor per... he is a very nice guy. i sent some trim to him a few months ago on ebay. it cost him $225 just to have the trim shipped there. he doesn't deserve to get screwed like that. even if he is overseas. it's even more helpless for him. kudos to you mike for trying to help him out before he's really stiffed on it. i would definitely get ebay fraud involved and make him give the money back, or at least enough to fix what he lied about
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ChgrSteve67

I would let the buyer know and let them make the call on going to ebay or ship the car.

When is it suppose to ship out?

CB

So that's exactly why I flew over to the states to buy my car.
I will never buy a +10K car again without seeing it with my own eyes.
You can't trust ebay sellers just by looking at their feedback.
When buying a car it needs to be inspected before you hand over the money.
CB (also from Belgium)

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

AKcharger

Those Gay wheels are just screaming "I'm a bondo mobile" No self-refecting mopar guy would put those thing on...ewwwwwwwww

nakita7

Yes, the wheels scared me too! There must be some kind of protection from Ebay. Never had vehicle issues with Ebay, but I was scammed on 2 other auctions. They do have some safeguards.

lilwendal

Its just the whole idea of it. Come on... to actually know its not the correct or original engine but then to deliberately advertise it as such.
And to claim its rebuilt. It is not.  Old dry gaskets 20 year old grease.  The orange engine paint was sprayed on the engine in the car.  Theres missed spots that show original torquise and orange overspray on the suspension. Has a couple of those rubber temp freeze plugs installed.  What.. is that what machine shops use now for freeze plugs on a rebuild?
The guy is a POS.  Thats not my opinion thats a fact. How much does #s matching effect the cars value??? 10%...20% He lied to increase the cars price period.
Yeah and the thing is full of bondo.  The lower quarters are an inch thick in it.
I've done several inspections for the buyer and with my recomendations he purchases those cars.  This was one of those 1 hour till auction close impulse buy.  I didn't know aboput the car till the auction closed.  I warned him about being warry of the upper east coast cars.
Hemihead..I will take no action in the matter..Not my car... Just pisses me off that someone could be so low.

Forza

I agree the only way this will get settled is with the help of a lawyer. Shouldn't take to much to get him for false advertisment. He claims the car is his, fully restored, and numbers matching in his ad. We can tell he's an asshole but if he thinks he is getting away with this he is a retarded asshole.

LeeBoy

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on February 25, 2008, 11:16:01 PM
If the trunk is rusty, lights don't work. wipers , etc. The car should have never passed PA inspection. 1st call the Pa State Police and turn in the garage for passing it. :Twocents:
It is odd that the car has a Pennsylvania antique plate on it in the picture and an inspection sticker also. I have Pennsylvania antique plates on my car and once they are on the car you no longer need to have it inspected or renew the registration?
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

Chris G.

Damn, that really sucks. There's some honest flippers out there, and then there's the guy who will say anything to help sell a car. The guy does have 100% feedback though.

23K is a pretty respectable number for a 383 car in that condition (I mean how the item was described). Also plunking down 23K sight unseen is very risky. I would expect it to be much nicer than what you are reporting. How about some pics while it's in your shop? Let's see the real product compared to the auction.

As soon as I saw the backs of the taillights painted and door latch, I knew it was a spray bomb. The wheels are the ugliest thing to ever grace a Dodge Charger...of any year.  :Twocents:

hutch

god I hate the Pimp wheel look on classic cars.  it looks like they just slapped a ton of undercoat on the bottom of that thing.  No telling what the pan looks like unless you pull back the carpet.

Sorry to hear about it.  Buying on the interent is a crap shoot sometimes.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

JMF

Those wheels are absolutely hideous

bill440rt

My, my, my. What a shame.  :-\  :rotz:

Amazing what pictures can do. That is, until it got to the shot of the rear valence with all the bondo pinholes.
I feel sorry for the buyer.

And those wheels?  :puke:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dave22443

Quote from: Chris G. on February 26, 2008, 05:04:14 AM
Damn, that really sucks. There's some honest flippers out there, and then there's the guy who will say anything to help sell a car. The guy does have 100% feedback though.

I looked at his feedback and most of it was a buyer, not a seller.  I did find it funny though that he left negative feedback to a buyer who he claims never paid for a 1970 Mustang he had for sale.  The add reads a lot like the Charger add and is full of hype. (numbers matching, new paint, no rust, etc.)  Perhaps that guy got smart and ran away  :2thumbs:

Here's the Mustang add, unfortunately the pictures are gone so we don't know what it looked like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250186647957

On the positive side, I have purchased one vehicle on ebay, my dad purchased a boat and a friend of mine bought 3 classic cars there and all of those purchases were good.  But you definately have to look close at the pictures, always assume the worse and whenever possible, get an independent inspection!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

CB

QuoteI warned him about being warry of the upper east coast cars.

He should've known that also.
Impulse buys can turn out real ugly... i know  :icon_smile_blackeye:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

68charger383

You could have the buyer call the seller...let him know he has talked to the prior owner of the car which will let the seller know you have a witness as to the true condition of the car and the fraudulent claims made by the seller in his ad.

He can ask for some money back...maybe $8K back. This might scare the seller into doing the right thing and working out a deal. However, my experience with someone like this is they are either to stupid to man up or are long gone......then its hitman time!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

70 500

Not gonna lie, i cried a little bit for ya just now, tough luck man. But look at the bright side now u can go buy a cutlass and put those wheels on it  :lol:
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

l8rg8r

oh man people like that just chap my a$$