News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gear vendor floor switch question

Started by gordo1968charger, March 10, 2008, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

finally getting round to wiring in the gear vendor.i do nt really like the idea of the floor switch,so i was going to put it on the shifter
does anyone make a switch to go on the shifter?
i have a stock shifter and console and would like to keep it that way if possible or get an aftermarket shifter that looks stock,while keeping the console,i was looking at the b &m handles with button,but would i need something to mechanically get the car out of park?
any ideas?
cheers
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

NorwayCharger

I did machine a B&M hammer handle for the botton, it works great
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

RECHRGD

I had the B&M shifter, so the B&M handle with the button was a no brainer.  I've gone to a turbo action shifter now and am going to go with the foot switch.  With a stock shifter, I don't know of a good way to accomplish what your after.  But, any maintained contact switch will work.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Hemidog

gordo1968charger

would a rocker switch work?or would a microswitch be better?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

RECHRGD

Quote from: gordo1968charger on March 11, 2008, 04:00:24 PM

There's no real electrical current that your dealing with, so a micro switch would most likely be fine.  I'm thinking though, that all of the micro switches that I've dealt with have been momentary contact.  You need a maintained contact closure to keep the o/d functioning.  I'm not familiar with the stock shifter set-up, other than the push button is to get you into PARK. Right?  If you could find a maintained contact micro switch that could be activated in conjunction with your PARK push button you could use that for your o/d activation.  There would have to be enough physical movement somewhere with the pushing of the button to activate the switch and an area to mount the switch that did not interfere with it's function.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

gordo1968charger

:cheers:
ive mounted it as a floor switch,for now,roughly translated means"i m too impatient,lets smoke them rear tyres through the new dana with 4:10s"
its been off the road since november and i can t wait to get behind the wheel again. :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:
its been one hiccup after another,i hope this gear vendor has been worth the money and hassle.i ll post tomorrow night and let you all know.
in the meantime i m going to have an early start on the taxis tonight,so i have plenty of petrol money for tomorrow. :2thumbs:
later :cheers:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Runner

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 11, 2008, 08:18:06 PM
Quote from: gordo1968charger on March 11, 2008, 04:00:24 PM

I'm thinking though, that all of the micro switches that I've dealt with have been momentary contact.  You need a maintained contact closure to keep the o/d functioning. 

hey bob, a clutch release switch on any heavy truck that ive ever seen is a maintained closed micro switch.   its stays closed as long as the clutch pedal isnt depressed and opens when the clutch pedal is depressed.  its used to shut off criuse and/or engine brake function.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

JimShine

We used the highbeam type switch. But it is obviously something that you can customize to suit.