News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

radiator help...'22 with shroud or '26 with no shroud?

Started by AKcharger, February 21, 2008, 10:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi Guys

With our trip to Carlise I try to do some maintenance to my car, this time it's the radiator and brakes. Right now I have a '26 inch in it from a late model C-body I think. It's worked OK for a few years as long as I don't get in stop-n-go traffic, if I do I need to put on the heater full blast and pray that traffic moves before it over heats. So here's my questions:

- My car originally was a 383 4 bbl so I'm pretty sure it came with a '22 inch...is that right?
- Is a '22 inch with a proper shroud adequate for modern traffic? (motor is .030 9:1 compression)
- Is there any '26 radiators that will fit a '22 frame?
- Any souces for a radiator/shroud combo (besides that places that wants a $1000!!)
- current '26 is not correct and don't have a clue what shroud goes with it...i tried a couple and no good. I also don't have time tools to adapt an original '26, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

bull

It wouldn't necessarily have come with either a 22" or 26" based on the engine size/configuration. My 383 came with a 22" (some 440s did too) and some 318s came with a 26" radiator. Your build sheet and/or fender tag should address the cooling system your car is supposed to have, usually it had to do with your car having A/C or not but if your hole is for a 22" radiator it's safe to assume that's what it came with. A 22" would work fine so as long as it is functioning properly and it will work much better if it's been converted to a 3-row. If your hole is for a 26" radiator than it most likely came with a 26" radiator and a 22" radiator won't work unless you have some sort of blocking plate. Typically the opening was built for either 22" or 26" rads. If you have a 26" in there now you can either buy a new aluminum one or have yours (or another 26") rebuilt. There are many aluminum radiator choices for under $1,000, and many under $500 too. Having an original style radiator rebuilt with a 3-row core will probably cost about the same as you want to spend on a new one so that's a bit of a wash. Either way I would get a shroud and either way I would get at least a 3-row core. If the radiator is not the right one for the car you're not going to get a shroud to fit it.

If I were you and your car came with a 22" originally I would either try finding an original 22" radiator to rebuild or buy a 22" aluminum aftermarket replacement. And get a shroud for sure.

69CoronetRT

My 22'" two row would overheat in hot traffic. I put on a shroud and have had no trouble since. A shroud made a huge difference for me.

It may be chaper to try and find the right shroud and make sure the cooling systlem is working properly before pulling the radiator.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

Sounds like he has a 26" radiator in a 22" hole so there's going to be some issues with getting a shroud to fit.

AKcharger

No Build sheet but I'm sure the hole is only '22...any good sources for a '22?