News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

F8 Hemi Charger 500 reassembly

Started by Magnumcharger, February 21, 2008, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAC95054

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 28, 2008, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: RAC95054 on April 28, 2008, 01:24:00 PM
Was that Galen under the car in a few of the pictures?  Did he have anything nice to day about it (because he really should!)?  He seems to find something wrong in everyones car that I've heard about.

Better or worse, that's usually why he's hired... Sometimes to make a list of what's "wrong" is much shorter than making one for what's "right".. Unfortunately, sometimes the "right" stuff is lost in the few "wrongs".......

Troy

Yes, he is good at finding the incorrect things, but hopefully he acknowledges a beautiful car when he sees one.  :yesnod:
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

472 R/T SE

Mostly pix of the guys taking pix than anything.  It looks like they're doing more documenting than judging.

Yes, the guy in blue is Galen.  Guy with Mopar hat is Scott Smith, guy all tatted up is Mike with Rocket Restorations and I think the bald guy is David Wise.  I didn't see Kori in any of them. 

Harms Inc

QuoteMostly pix of the guys taking pix than anything.  It looks like they're doing more documenting than judging.

Yes, the guy in blue is Galen.  Guy with Mopar hat is Scott Smith, guy all tatted up is Mike with Rocket Restorations and I think the bald guy is David Wise.  I didn't see Kori in any of them. 

Hi guys,

The Charger was not being OE judged, the owner was having the car "verified" by Dave Wise, the rest of us (OE judges) had finished judging the other cars that were there for OE judging and were taking advantage of the opportunity to photograph the Charger 500 details. It was a very nice car and would have certainly done well in judging had it been entered for that. Galen was not on the judging team, he was invited in for a look since he was there.

:cheers:
Scott Smith
Harms Inc.

69_500

Gorgeous car. Who shot those pics? Because I'd love a copy of the origional sized photo's.

Did you wind up using a repro rear glass on the car? Just curious.

hemigeno

Quote from: Harms Inc on April 28, 2008, 05:05:03 PM
QuoteMostly pix of the guys taking pix than anything.  It looks like they're doing more documenting than judging.

Hi guys,

The Charger was not being OE judged, the owner was having the car "verified" by Dave Wise, the rest of us (OE judges) had finished judging the other cars that were there for OE judging and were taking advantage of the opportunity to photograph the Charger 500 details. It was a very nice car and would have certainly done well in judging had it been entered for that. Galen was not on the judging team, he was invited in for a look since he was there.

Scott Smith
Harms Inc.

Hi Scott!

Welcome to DC.com & the Aero forum - good to have a guy with your expertise hanging around!

I take it you were on the OE judging crew at MATS?  How did the rest of the concours part of the show turn out (haven't dug around on Moparts for any threads on the subject)?

Magnumcharger

"Mopar Action Magazine" Shoot at Mopars On The Strip 2008
'69 Hemi Charger 500 - winner of the "World's Ultimate Mopar" award at the 2008 Mopars On The Strip
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4819527_xSKrn

Photos by Hemi Bob
Please add a comment to the gallery at the bottom of the page! Thanks.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 69_500 on April 28, 2008, 06:10:31 PM
Gorgeous car. Who shot those pics? Because I'd love a copy of the origional sized photo's.

Did you wind up using a repro rear glass on the car? Just curious.

Pictures by Hemi Bob
Repro glass used...remember? I got the old one.

Harms Inc

Hemigeno,

Yes I was one of the judges at the MATTS event, the ICCA judges included: Dave Wise, Paul Jacobs, Mike Volz, Byron Fetting, and myself.

The cars we judged were as follows:
1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda - O.E. Bronze: Owner Mr. and Mrs. Livingston
1968 Dodge Hemi Super Bee - O.E. Silver: Owner Mr. Dan Kisiel
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340- O.E. Gold: Owner unlisted*
1971 Dodge Demon 340 - U.R.O.E Silver : Owner Mr. Bill Sefton
* Owner disclosure sheet not yet received by the ICCA. 

You can learn more about the ICCA at www.iccahome.org

Blown70

Quote from: Harms Inc on April 29, 2008, 11:57:38 AM
Hemigeno,

Byron Fetting,

That is a guy I know well.  Funny to see his name on a forum..

Harms Inc

Yea, Byron doesn't venture uot from under his rock very often, but that sucker sure has accumulated a ton of knowledge over the years, he's a true blue Mopar hands on guy all the way!

Blown70

Quote from: Harms Inc on April 29, 2008, 02:09:14 PM
Yea, Byron doesn't venture uot from under his rock very often, but that sucker sure has accumulated a ton of knowledge over the years, he's a true blue Mopar hands on guy all the way!

Ha yea, long way to anywhere when you live where he does.  Speaking of, I need to call him and get some parts.....off I go for a drive.... at least he is in the same state as I am..... :icon_smile_cool:

hemigeno

Hey Scott, seeing as how you're the ranking (and probably the only) ICCA judge amongst us pupils here...  :P

I had questioned the red paint that Kori put on the rear brake drums in an earlier thread.  What was the consensus of the judges on that topic? 

Inquiring minds want to know...   :lol:

Geno

Harms Inc

Well as I said, we didn't judge the car, just took a bunch of photos, I don't recall looking at it's drums. I'll scope at that thread and ad my .02 when I get some spare time today.

69_500

I had forgotten about the reproduction glass, but now I remember. Only other thing that jumped out to me on the car right off the bat was the flip top gas cap.

Harms Inc

Ok, on the red brake drum thread...........

Here's the general concensus amoung the judges. Yes, it was possible that the KH wheel cars had painted drums, and yes it's also possible that they did not. That's not a cop out, it's that way because at the current time there is no known "absalute" evidence proving either painted or bare drums were mandated on all of the KH cars.

In addition to normal engineering bullitins that call out normal production procedures there were often addendums made for special applicatons (such as the KH wheels). There could have easily been an addendum adding those rims to the "painted drum" list. I believe it's pretty likely because as noted in that thread, you can see the drums through the wheels. It's even more complicated that these wheels were available for such a short time, production procedures may have not been all that accurate, it could have easily gone either way, some cars could have recieved painted drums while others might not have due to new processes hitting the line.

So, bottom line, as things stand today with ICCA OE judging (concerning KH wheel equipped cars), notes would be made on the judging sheet concerning which the car had, painted or not, but no points would be deducted for either concerning correctness. If new data surfaces to prove one or the other as being correct, points could then be affected.

:Twocents:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Blown70 on April 29, 2008, 12:31:56 PM
Quote from: Harms Inc on April 29, 2008, 11:57:38 AM
Hemigeno,

Byron Fetting,

That is a guy I know well.  Funny to see his name on a forum..

I remember meeting Mike V. a long time ago.  He hangs out with Steve Miles of North American Muscle Cars here local.  He had a '69 500 years ago all painted up like NASCAR for sale at Graham.  He bought it from someone who took it to Talledaga for the reunion or he took it there, I have CRS.  He wasn't asking $$ a whole lot I remember, but back then everything was way cheaper.

When it comes to Mopars it seems like it's a small world.

sixpack71

Thanks Scott....No body had said anything about the red paint on the drums to me so I asked Galen and his thoughts were that they Should be painted red.....because they were an optional styled wheel that could be seen through the slots.  He says the red was applied just before the wheels were installed with the drums on the axle.
  As for the gas cap....Someone had said some early built cars (like this one) came with a 68 gas cap but since we can not prove that this car was one of those...Galen suggested we should have a 69 "fuel" cap....We bought a new correct cap in Vegas but could not change it because we used the special anti theft screws...we didn't bring the socket and no one down there had one. Carl dropped the car off Today at my shop and the first thing I changed...was the gas cap.  lol.
  Another note was the 'paint ok' stamp I put on the inner fender as seen in one of the pics Robin posted for me. (thanks Robin) Galen said only the Lynch Road plant did that so I got some brake clean and 'cleaned it off' before the show.
  This is just some of the small things we want to improve on before we take the car to Carlisle....Where it will be judged.  Vegas was a 'practice run' so to speak as there was afew items not finished in time. Remember....car was assembled from a painted shell in 2 1/2 months....
  I want to Thank Scott, Mike, Dave and the rest of the guys for being so professional and knowlagable   

69_500

I was going to say that if you were really wanting to replicate how the red paint was on the brake's then you would have to mount the wheels before the paint was dry too. That way some of the red paint would transfer over to the back side of the rims. Also I believe it was applied with a brush on the brake drums themselves. If I had to guess it would have been with about a 2-2 1/2" brush, it wasn't done very neatly either. Very sloppy if you ask me.

tan top

red paint on brake drums   :scratchchin: i always though that  it was only done to cars that  :scratchchin:  had a SPD  in 1969  :scratchchin: :confused:  ............................ :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Magnumcharger

More pics...courtesy of Kori!
And a link to more pics....courtesy of Hemi Bob!
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4822346_pYRgB

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wow that car turned out amazing!  Congrats on all the awards :cheers:

Another "must see" car on the list for Carlisle!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Okay I am just curious about an update on the car. I looked it over pretty closely at Carlisle. Was great meeting Carl as well finally. Gorgeous car by the way.

How did it do in the SME judging? I didn't stick around for Sunday at the show, so I am not aware of exactly how well it did. I have a figure in my mind, but just curious as to what they thought of the car.

472 R/T SE

69_500

If Kori was there I didn't get a chance to meet him. I would have loved to have sat down and talked to him some about the car though.