News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Brake Distribution Valve for 69 Charger disc/drum car

Started by Chatt69chgr, February 20, 2008, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Look at this picture of what Inline tube calls a distribution valve and hold off valve.  They tell me it's the correct part for my 69 Charger with front discs and rear drums.  Is it?  They say the proportioning valve to the rear is contained in the piece to the right (that has the safety switch in it) and that the front brakes go thru the other end of the distribution valve and then to the hold off valve (on the left) the output of which goes to the left and right front wheels. 

Musicman

Well, it's not exactly the valve that I would choose for a 69 but it will work. Personally, if your looking for something a little more traditional in terms of Mopar, then I would look at this one:

http://piratejack.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=153&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=114

It's a combination valve (Metering hold off, HYD Switch, Proportioning) used on Mopars from 1971 +

Chatt69chgr

That's the correct valve for a 71 and up vehicle---they used those cast iron valves.  Not correct for a 69.  I do know that all 69's used brass type valves.  I think they looked like the ones that I have posted.  Sure would like to confirm if that.  I do appreciate the response however. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 20, 2008, 09:14:41 PM
That's the correct valve for a 71 and up vehicle---they used those cast iron valves.  Not correct for a 69.  I do know that all 69's used brass type valves.  I think they looked like the ones that I have posted.  Sure would like to confirm if that.  I do appreciate the response however. 

The ones you posted are correct.  Here they are on my friends 70 GTX.

That cast iron piece looks like a Chevy unit!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

That highest brass one in your pic I do not have.  According to Inline Tube, there were a couple of different set ups with valving for disc brakes in 1969.  Then you get into the whole over and under the frame rail with the brake lines as well.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Musicman

In the picture above... I believe the higher piece is a Metering Hold Off valve for the front disc's... the lower front unit is the Hydraulic Safety Switch, and the other piece is the Proportioning Valve for the rear drums. I like everything in one unit myself, but that's just a personal preference... less clutter. If you want to keep that original stock look, stick with the stock components of course. Sorry I don't have better information for you on the stock 69 setups at the moment, but all that stuff's at home and I'm not.

Mike  :cheers:

Chatt69chgr

OK, Chris's picture has cleared up the mystery for me finally.  In 69 and 70 on B-bodys with front disc and rear drum brakes, you could have had two possible configurations.  One would be the one that Chris has posted a picture of----that's the 3 piece setup.  It uses a separate Metering Valve, Distribution Valve, and Proportioning Valve.  These items can be seen on the Inline Tube site by looking at their proportioning valve section and dialing down to the Mopar section.  There you will find the distribution only valve listed as P/N BLK244, the proportioning valve listed as P/N PR104b, and the Metering Valve listed as P/N Blk247.  Now the two piece setup simply combines the proportioning valve with the distribution valve.  That would be the combination (distribution) valve listed as P/N 246 and the metering block as P/N 247.  If you bought the three valve setup, you would need the two piece front to rear brake line kit they sell.  If you bought the two valve setup, you would need the single front to rear brake line kit the also sell.  They have kits that are for either right port or left port masters and also for the particular type of rear end you have (the cars rear end, not yours).  When I talked to them about my requirement, they guy said that the kit I was looking at had the left front brake line going under the frame to the rear of the wheel well and the right brake line going over the frame to the rear of the wheel well which was what I want.  I havn't ordered yet since I had not figured out the brass valve mess until tonight.  Unfortunately, Inline Tubes descriptions of these brass valve is pretty screwed up and misleading.  One final thing.  The cast iron valve posted earlier is correct for Mopars.  It is for a 72-74.  Look at Inline Tubes P/N's VML104 and VML105 and you will find these items.  I think these are true combination valves since I think they actually combine all three valves into one body.

One idea I had was to buy the three valve setup but not buy the PR104b proportioning valve but buy the adjustable proportioning valve that everybody is selling and put it in at this location.  You could buy the two piece front to rear brake line setup and this way, you wouldn't have to cut and flare any lines and you would be able to dial in your rear brake pressure to be exactly what it needs to be.  I've heard that the same proportioning valve was used on A, B, and C bodies and that it was just a approximation of what was needed-----I think it's suppposed to cut the line pressure from something like 1000 # to something like 300#.  Anybody think this is a good idea?  Or just stick with the PR104b piece---or buy the two piece setup?

I really appreciate Chris posting this picture.  I was tearing my hair out until I saw his post. 

Musicman

The action of a proportioning valve depends on how hard and how fast you are hitting the pedal. Adjustable valves are the best in safety of course, they just require a little extra time and effort to set up. If your really serious about your cars brake system, and you have someone to help you get it tuned in, then an adjustable valve is the way to go.  :Twocents:

Chatt69chgr

Well---after reading some of the posts concerning Inline tube and based on my conversation with them (which didn't engender a great deal of confidence concerning their knowledge of the product) I called Fine Lines.  I was very favorable impressed.  The guy I talked to knew exactly what I wanted and informed me that the 3 valve setup was what he has seen on all the 69 & 70 Chargers he has looked at while going to the shows  with disc/drum brakes and 440.  He told me that the valves they have do come from Inline Tube and have only been available for about a month.  They are exact repops of the originals.  He said that if I wanted the two valve setup that he has that too----my choice.  So I will be getting all this stuff from Fine Lines and am going with stainless steel for both the brake and fuel lines.  Based on what I have read on here, I feel that if I have a problem the company will work with me to make everything right.  I'am sorry but I just didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling with Inline tube.  Might end up regreting my decision but had to go with my gut feeling.  This whole deal has been a pretty tough nut to crack but I think I am on the right track now.