News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Booster linkage information please!

Started by Cooperman, February 26, 2008, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooperman

I have a '68 Charger that previously had a non-power disc brake set-up. I've ordered and received an SSBC booster and master cylinder setup, but it seems I don't have the necessary pivot linkage to connect the pedal to the booster rod. These are a little difficult to find in England...

Would someone be kind enough to measure their power disc brake linkage and provide me with the dimensions, so that I can make one? With the measurements below, hopefully I can calculate the ratio required to achieve a useable pedal pressure. I assume the short pushrod in the picture sets the brake pedal height relative to the gas pedal? That should be reasonably simple to work out once I know the ratio of the linkage.

Unless of course you have one you'd like to sell?   :scratchchin:

Thanks guys!  :cheers:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Chatt69chgr

The distance from the center of the top bolt to the center of the middle bolt is 1-1/8 inches.  The distance from the center of the middle bolt to the center of the bottom bolt is 1-1/2 inches.  The distance from the center of the bottom bolt to the center of the top bolt is 2-5/8 inches.  Hopes this helps. 

Dans 68

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 27, 2008, 10:12:04 PM
...The distance from the center of the bottom bolt to the center of the top bolt is 2-5/8 inches...

I get 2-9/16 inches versus 2-5/8 inches  (just happened to have an assembly at my desk...go figure  ;D) So who is going to be the tiebreaker?  :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Cooperman

Guys, can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking he time to do this for me.

I'm assuming if I didn't use a linkage, I'd have insufficient pedal pressure? The dimensions suggest a multiplier ratio of 1.75:1 (or 1.8:1 Dan! ;) )
Anyone have a link to an explanation as to why the good guys at Dodge came up with this device?  :scratchchin:

Thanks again fellas!  :2thumbs: :cheers:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

John_Kunkel

The linkage pictured above will shorten the pedal travel but it will also decrease the pressure to the booster.

If you hook the pedal directly to the booster using the same hole in the pedal the brakes might be overly sensitive and the pedal travel will increase.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooperman

Thanks John. Now you describe it, the reason for the link makes good sense.

I assume the longer portion goes to the top? Like this...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THERAMMAN

Quote from: Cooperman on February 28, 2008, 06:19:47 PM
Thanks John. Now you describe it, the reason for the link makes good sense.

I assume the longer portion goes to the top? Like this...