News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caliper bracket brake swap question!

Started by terrible one, February 20, 2008, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Of course, nothing can ever work out right it seems. I put a '74 Charger disc brake setup on my '68. First, I had the calipers forward mounted until I saw that they hit the sway bar mount dead on, immediately seeing why I had heard of reverse mounting them. So I did that. Using the '74 Charger hoses, all seemed alright. But I then noticed that the wheel was binding and couldn't turn all the way to each side. Crawling below the beast and cursing, I identified the problem. The damn brake hose is hitting the lower shock mount hardcore.

See below:

So does anyone have any ideas? Different hose? Grind on hose end? Cut on shock mount? Is there anyone out there with this same setup? What hose did you use. Fuck.

pullrock

DO you have the Caliper on the right way?  you want the bleader screew on the top when it is installed.  Here is a pic of mine.  If you want a better pic let me know.

Eric CA

terrible one

Hey man,

Yep, bleeders on top.  :shruggy:

The only thing I can think of right now is using different calilpers. I'm using the '74 Charger pin types. The spindles are '74 Charger, with the 10.87" rotor caliper adapters. Maybe find a caliper that will work with the rotor/spindle setup?

71charger_fan

I'm using slider calipers and '73 Charger hoses and have never had a problem with fitment.

terrible one

Quote from: 71charger_fan on February 22, 2008, 01:41:07 AM
I'm using slider calipers and '73 Charger hoses and have never had a problem with fitment.

What sliders are you using? And what size caliper adapters?

71charger_fan

I'm using the complete setup out of a '77 Volare four door. That and some '73 Charger hoses and it was an easy bolt-in. I think the rotors are about 11".

terrible one

Quote from: 71charger_fan on February 22, 2008, 12:29:33 PM
I'm using the complete setup out of a '77 Volare four door. That and some '73 Charger hoses and it was an easy bolt-in. I think the rotors are about 11".

Right on, so you used the smaller rotors/caliper adapters then, right? Not the big 12" rotors? I KNOW FOR A FACT that you can use the b-body spindles like I did, but it seems to me that the problem is with the calipers. Looking at my own picture, I don't think there's a chance in hell that I'll clear anything without hacking on my shock mount, which I don't want to do.

So then switch up the calipers. . . okay, what all options do I have that will fit on a '74 Charger spindle with the smaller caliper adapters? At this point, I really don't have much preference between pin and slider type calipers. . . I just want to finish this chapter!

71charger_fan

'74 Charger spindle and '77 Volare spindle are the same part. Any disk brake set-up from any '73-up B-body is a bolt-on. Any Volare or Aspen as well as the J, R, and M bodies.

terrible one

Ahh right on, I didn't know that.

In that case, the '77 Volare calipers that you have should work fine, huh? But then again, this is on a '71, right? Either way, looking at the Volare calipers, it's obvious that they would clear, as the problem with the Charger calipers is that they go down so low AND the hose bolts to the bottom/lowest part. I don't have to change caliper adapters between slider type and pin type calipers, do I?

71charger_fan

That, I do not know. Personally, I prefer the sliders. I feel they are heavier duty.

Back N Black

Quote from: 71charger_fan on February 22, 2008, 12:35:40 PM
'74 Charger spindle and '77 Volare spindle are the same part. Any disk brake set-up from any '73-up B-body is a bolt-on. Any Volare or Aspen as well as the J, R, and M bodies.

Are you 100% sure on that one?  :scratchchin:

71charger_fan

terrible one

Alright, so they are the same spindle. In that case, looks like I'll copy 71charger_fan and go with the '77 Volare sliders?

terrible one

Okay, does anyone know if there is a difference in the caliper adapters for the sliders and the pin types?

71charger_fan

You might want to edit the subject of your thread and change it to caliper adapter question. Might draw new attention to it.

Shakey

I was just reading the Mopar Action article and it said there is a difference between the two brackets.

terrible one

Quote from: Shakey on March 26, 2008, 07:18:37 PM

I was just reading the Mopar Action article and it said there is a difference between the two brackets.

Thanks Shakey. I finally went back and found it and read it myself. As I said in the alternative caliper thread, I guess I'll just go with the other pin type calipers so I don't have to find different brackets. . .

Should have just gone with the A body setup in hindsight.

bull

The A- or E-body spindles are a much safer bet per the Mopar Action article linked below but there's been lots of debate as to whether it's unsafe to use Volarie or later B-body stuff. Both spindles are taller than stock 2nd gen spindles so the geometry will be altered. Is that unsafe? I don't really know but I chose not to take my chances.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

terrible one

I don't mind the spindles being taller at all. In my opinion, the only real world problem would be ball joints wearing out faster. I don't think I'm going to crash and burn with them. I simply made the comment about the A body stuff because this has been such a hassle. I do agree though that the slider calipers are more durable/heavy duty than the pins, but back to real world. . . the pins stopped the cars they were used on just fine. LET IT RIDE!

Chatt69chgr

The correct type of pin calipers you want are the A1Cardone 184065 and 184066 part numbers.  The hose comes out the side instead of the bottom.  And the caliper adapters are different for pin type and slider type.  They are also different depending on whether you are using the 10.87 inch rotors or the 11.75 inch rotors.