News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

replacing wiring harness on 68 charger

Started by charger2fast4u, February 08, 2008, 07:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i need all new wiring in my 68 charger but dont know what harness would be best  just  get stock replacements or the painless muscle car wiring harness looking for everyones thoughts and opinions

Shakey

The M & H wiring harnesses from Year One are an excellent product and easy to work with.  The most complicated one of the bunch would of course be the one under the dash - I had mine installed in about 20 - 30 minutes.  There are some photos in my Interior Thread.  Do it right the first time.

Back N Black

I just received mine two days ago from YearOne, i ordered everything front to back which included headlight harness, engine harness, dash harness, tail light harness and back up light harness. It is made by M & H wiring and i must say I'm very impressed with the quality of their work. Its just plug and play.  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Back N Black on February 08, 2008, 11:28:22 AM
I just received mine two days ago from YearOne, i ordered everything front to back which included headlight harness, engine harness, dash harness, tail light harness and back up light harness. It is made by M & H wiring and i must say I'm very impressed with the quality of their work. Its just plug and play.  :Twocents:

For the price the quality should be impressive...            :RantExplode:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Back N Black

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 08, 2008, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on February 08, 2008, 11:28:22 AM

For the price the quality should be impressive...            :RantExplode:

Hey $860 bucks is a good deal to me, complete new from front to back and the piece of mind of no fires driving down the road. Considering bumper jacks and air cleaners are going for $350 to $400 a pop on E-Bay.  :cheers:

Shakey

Damn straight - for that kind of money you should be able to simply tear open the plastic wrap, lay it in the car where it's supposed to go and plug it in.

And that is exactly how it works.

charger2fast4u

will the harness from year one handle a high amp alternator and a aftermarket head unit and subs? nobody has or knows anyone with the painless wiring harness? would like to get more info on this one considering it's half the cost as year one's

Sixt8Chrgr

I also bought a new wiring harness from Year One. M&H is the manufacturer. I bought the harness for the alternator, voltage regulator, horns to the firewall. I also bought the harness from the firewall to the air conditioner. Both harnesses fit perfectly and were wrapped professionally. These were very easy to install. As far as the price goes, if you are worrying about spending a couple hundred bucks extra for very good parts you are probably in the wrong hobby.

gtx6970

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 08, 2008, 06:31:53 PM
will the harness from year one handle a high amp alternator and a aftermarket head unit and subs? nobody has or knows anyone with the painless wiring harness? would like to get more info on this one considering it's half the cost as year one's

Call M+H , trust me - they will be more than happy to answer ANY questions

JimShine

The Year One harnesses are awesome. In a few hours we had an entire Charger completely rewired and there was absolutely no troubleshooting or faulty wires to chase down.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: JimShine on February 09, 2008, 07:40:43 PM
The Year One harnesses are awesome. In a few hours we had an entire Charger completely rewired and there was absolutely no troubleshooting or faulty wires to chase down.
:yesnod:

charger2fast4u

for the dash harness from year one they got 2 styles for 68 dodge / plymouth one with oil light the other with oil gauge they are talking about the oil pressure gauge right? and the engine harness i have a 72 440 in my car would i still need the 68 383 440 harness

JimShine

I would look deep into that. I can think of a few major differences between a 1968 and a 1972, like ignition switch placement and style and hazard switch location. There are most likely many, many more differences.

Anders

I was very happy with the quality of the engine harness  from M&H. I think the best feature is that in the future you can use the factory wiring diagram in the trouble shooting. I already regret, saving few cents and changing only the bulkhead connector instead of buying the whole dash harness :-\
68 Charger

charger2fast4u

anyone know if the dash harness for a 68 plymouth dodge from year one is for a tic tock tach? also if i get the engine wiring harness for the stock ignition could i switch to electronic ignition later and keep that wiring harness?

Troy

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 13, 2008, 09:31:35 AM
anyone know if the dash harness for a 68 plymouth dodge from year one is for a tic tock tach? also if i get the engine wiring harness for the stock ignition could i switch to electronic ignition later and keep that wiring harness?
As far as I know (meaning you should confirm this) the tach requires an "add-on" wiring harness and isn't included in the main dash harness. The engine wiring harness would need modification for electronic ignition (you need more wires) but it doesn't look too daunting and you should get everything you need with the ignition kit. If you want it to look like a factory install you can order a custom made one from Evans Wiring but then it won't really work with the old style ignition.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JimShine

Thats right Troy, its an add on. What you get with any of the harnesses is the core harness. Any and all add ons need to be purchased seperately or reused. Like with the dash harness, you don't get the map light, console, key light, rear window defroster, glovebox lamp, AC, or any other accessory wiring.

charger2fast4u

anyone  use the fusible links year one sells  part #FD5369 on there engine harness getting my list of parts ready to order wondering if anyone used this

charger2fast4u

how can you tell what speed your windshield wiper motor is 2 or 3? need to find this out so i can order it don't have my switch

Back N Black

The 3 speed the body is off to the right (first pic). The 2 speed the body is straight out( second pic).

charger2fast4u

thanks back n black so the 2 speed one the switch would be push whole way down is off push so its in the middle is low and push the switch up and it's high? also it's a 68 charger anyone use those fusible links in there harness still seeing if i should get them or not

Back N Black

The 3 speed sw. has the extra position. Also on the back of the 3 speed switch it has a resistor,the 2 speed do not have the resistor.

charger2fast4u

today my wiring harnesses came in the mail they look great. now i just have to wait to install them waiting for weather to to change so i can take my windshield and dash out.

JimShine

You can also buy the 2 speed wiper motors at most Advance type parts stores for reasonable money. I reused the resistor strip and gaskets from my stock motor and it looks and works perfectly.