News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CONVERT A 70 DASH INTO A 69

Started by daytonalo, February 14, 2008, 10:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

I want to convert my 70 dash into a 69. I have a few questions , will a 69 steering column bolt up ,what else is different ??

Larry

Runner

69 has the igntion switch in the dash and 70 has it on the column. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

69charger2002

i tried bolting in 70 lower pads in place of the padded 69 ones.. that's not going to be easy just so you know. they are all the same shape and size, but all the mounting holes on each piece, including the glovebox, is different. you'd have to redrill the dash frame. i didn't want to spend that amount of effort, though i much prefer the "stay in shape" 70 plastic pads.. the 69's get all nasty looking once they warp
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bull

daytonalo

69 Charger 2002, my Daytona clone started life as a 70 Charger , simply pit I would like to install a 69 column and install key switch in dash and leave everything else the same , and yes I figured as much that the dash harness is different .

Larry

CLONEDXS29

Don't forget, the 70 glove box opens down. The 69 flips UP. I think it would be easier to find a complete 68or 69 dash frame, pull the 4(or is it 6?) bolts that hold it in the car, and swap in the hole she-bang. That way you dont have to worry about chopping holes in your dash frame. BTW if the point of this is to make a Daytona clone, have you given thought to the headlight switch? Just thinking out loud...

daytonalo

i CONVERTED MY ORIG 70 SWITCH TO VACUUM . I COULD HAVE USED ONE OF THOSE ELECTRIC VACUUM SWITCHES . I'M OK WITH THE GLOVE BOX OPENING THE OPPOSITE, JUST WANT TO KNOW IF COLUMN WILL BOLT UP .

LARRY

Mike DC

If you don't feel very strongly about getting the perfect '69 appearance, then I would not mess with it and leave it a 1970 dash. 

There's a whole lot of stuff that needs to be swapped and it makes for a bunch of very minor differences in the final appearance when you're done.  Not a very rewarding job to do.   

daytonalo

Can i just swap the column and install dash key switch ??

Larry

BROCK

The column mounts look very similar.  I can't say they are the same though - because I haven't tried your swap.
As for adding the dash mounted ignition switch:  You're right back to swapping your 70 lower pads for the 69s.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Mike DC

The whole column is different year-to-year from the steering wheel down. 

The sheetmetal dash frame itself?  Not sure about that.  Maybe a '70 dash can be modified for the '68/69 key location, maybe not. 

The dash pads & glovebox door were different from the column all the way over. 

Nacho-RT74

I would sell the 70 complete setup and get a 69 complete setup. no more headaches about conversion. If you are making a clone MAKE IT ON THE RIGHT WAY! considering also the seats, door panels , tail lights and sidemarkers too... where just on Vin will be noticeable.

Sidemarkers and tail lights would it be nice keep them like 70 thought! ( light on function and reflection area ) more because safety at nights.

That's my opinion at least
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

daytonalo

I have went to 69 taillights and 69 side reflectors that I converted to illuminate by LED . I will definitely not install those butt ugly 69 seats . I would like to install a 69 column and install key switch , what will it take ??

Larry

Charger-Bodie

Id get a 69 dash assy and column.....or Forget it!  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

OK , who has a set up they can sell me ??? I have Gauges and I will buy a new dash pad .

Larry

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: daytonalo on February 18, 2008, 06:29:38 PM
OK , who has a set up they can sell me ??? I have Gauges and I will buy a new dash pad .

Larry

Even the gauge panel is differant, The flasher switch is on the column in a 70.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

daytonalo

Charger-Bodie

If youre gonna leave the 70 seats in it you may as well just leave the entire interior 70. :Twocents:

daytonalo

Not the seats !!! Thiose 69 seats are Butt ugly !!!

Larry