News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rt leaf springs

Started by chargen86, February 17, 2008, 06:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargen86

my 68 rt has more leaf on one side
does anyone no why this is thanks

1969chargerrtse

Me again.  Once again I kinda know this.  It was a Mopar torgue thing.  That's a great sign to know the car is a real R/T.  Mopar did put one more spring on that side to deal with engine torque.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The springs are biased (5½ leafs left, 6 leafs right) to prevent axle wind up because of the higher torque 440 or 426 Hemi available on the R/T model.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2008, 06:50:03 AM
The springs are biased (5½ leafs left, 6 leafs right) to prevent axle wind up because of the higher torque 440 or 426 Hemi available on the R/T model.

Yea right, what he said. :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

The same reason that trunk mounted batteries should go on the passenger side and the same reason why an open differential will usually spin the passenger tire.  :icon_smile_big:
It's a good thing and another example of high performance engineering from the folks who made driving fast and looking cool better.

chargen86