News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas doesn't stop flowing right away when tank fills up...

Started by joflaig, February 16, 2008, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I noticed when I fill up the tank the gas over flows for at least a second before the dispenser cuts it off. This makes a mess everytime and I end up puting in a fixed number gallons so I never get a full tank. Why would this happen? It seems to occur at any gas station.

Ghoste

Because the new nozzles are a smaller diameter.  This was done to prevent people from putting leaded fuel into unleaded vehicles.  The newer cars all have the smaller inlet to match the nozzle but on our old cars, it's a big old honking hole which allows lots of back pressure to escape around the nozzle instead of into it and triggering the shutoff.

joflaig

Well I'm sure everyone running around in a 40 year old charger doesn't have this problem. What can I do?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thats why I "listen" to the gas going in mine and go SUPER SLOW.  I can hear when its almost to the top & I STOP!  No topping off here....

Sucks having the black paint get eaten off your nicey-nice chrome fuel ring and have to take off the "tamper proof" screws to get the cap assy off to soak up all the gas that puddles around on your nicey-nice paint under the trim ring....

DAMHIK :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Quote from: joflaig on February 16, 2008, 07:47:42 PM
Well I'm sure everyone running around in a 40 year old charger doesn't have this problem. What can I do?

It definitely happens in mine.  :shruggy:

joflaig

So this is completely normal? Sorry if I sound incredulous, I only have experience filling the gas tank of one old car... :)

Ghoste

It's been normal for my experience, but I'm only one voice.  It is the backpressure that triggers it and the nozzle size is different.  The same thing happens when you fill a plastic gas can, they won't trigger the shutoff either.

joflaig

I guess I'd be curious to hear what mods people have done to get around this so that it behaves like a modern car.   

poppa

Happens with mine too. Always thought I was just an idiot. Listen when I fill mine too.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

joflaig

Quote from: poppa on February 16, 2008, 08:11:27 PM
Happens with mine too. Always thought I was just an idiot. Listen when I fill mine too.

Yeah, it can be a real experience at a big gas station when you pull up in your Charger, but I feel like an idiot standing there when this happens.

69_500

This is the reason that I do the squeezing of the trigger at all gas stations when filling up my Charger. I stand there, and apply the pressure, and go slowly.

Although unlike Chris, I do top of my tank every time I fill up. I fill it up until I can literally see the gas at the top of the filler neck. Pump it in slowly, and then very slightly rock the car with my hip, allowing all of the air in the filler neck to come up and out. If you fill up your car very early in the morning here in Indiana,(in the spring or fall when its colder in the mornings) and then drive it to wherever. Then come outside when its around 2 pm and getting warmer in the sunshine, you'll notice that the gas tank is still full in the filler neck. Even though you burned off some gas driving (maybe a gallon or so to the show depending on how far away it is) you will still have a full tank as the gas expands as the air temp raises.

:nana:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Keep doing stuff like that Danny & you'll wind up like this guy   :slap:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

My dads el camino does that when we fill up.  Drive it around for a while and then let it sit and then it starts spewing gas out of the fill neck sitting overnight or if it gets hot outside the next day.  Found this out the hard way when his elky was on the lift and the charger was under neath it.  Made a nice spot on the cover of my charger and took all of the wax off in the area on my car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69charger2002

i always fill mine up completely. it's not that big an issue if you go slow, pump it yourself, and like others said.. listen. you can head it when it is about to creep up the filler neck. unless they have one of those loud radios or tv's right there at the pump.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

JimShine

Same thing happens to me. I don't see it as a problem, just something to get used to. I don't top off either. I don't know why, but if I really topped it off and went right home, it would leak a little fuel out of the vent. If I stop when it clicks, its good.

When I was real young, I worked at a full serve gas station. I remember occasionally we would have an old car (pre mid 70's) come in with the filler behind the plate. We had to watch those because the gas would kick back up the filler and throw about a quart or so of gas out the tube and onto the ground.

bordin34

On my charger it stops. Maybe the 3rd gens were designed with unleaded in mind.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

The70RT

The only thing to fix this would be to put in a smaller hole to match the unleaded nozzel....but why bother. Put 60 bucks in it and forget it.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

terrible one

Quote from: The70RT on February 19, 2008, 12:54:38 PM
The only thing to fix this would be to put in a smaller hole to match the unleaded nozzel....but why bother. Put 60 bucks in it and forget it.

Maybe forget the nozzle problem, but you won't forget the hit your wallet took! :P

69_500

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2008, 08:12:34 PM

;)

Haven't had that happen yet. But then again it seems every time that I fill the car up, I'm off driving for at least another 20-25 miles. Most times I fill it up, its on the way to a show, which is usually multiple tanks away from my house.

six-tee-nine

Is'nt that the way why we love our old cars because they have issues....
It's the same with women the attractive ones all have issues... :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

To the filler problem.
If it is quit you can always hear the gas guzzling up the filler tube and then its time to STOP.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bordin34

But in NJ the state thinks we are too stupid to pump our own gas.  :slap:

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Troy

Quote from: 69_500 on February 19, 2008, 07:36:27 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2008, 08:12:34 PM

;)

Haven't had that happen yet. But then again it seems every time that I fill the car up, I'm off driving for at least another 20-25 miles. Most times I fill it up, its on the way to a show, which is usually multiple tanks away from my house.
And with the 4.10s your car gets like 2 gallons to the mile so a 15 minute trip really drains the tank. ;) I think the point was that you're filling up immediately before driving a long way so the car won't be sitting in the sun spewing out gas - the gas isn't in there long enough to expand!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69_500

Yeah it doesn't tend to make it very far on a tank of gas does it Troy? As you would well know after following me from St. Louis to indianapolis. I filled up right after we ate dinner, and that was what about 15 miles EAST of the track. Then had to stop 15  miles WEST of Indianapolis again as the car was WAY down on Empty. I'm sure you just loved having to drive at 67 all of the way from St. Louis to Indianapolis didn't you?
Hopefully will remedy the situation this year with either a gear change, or maybe even going up to some 15" rims. Ideal solution would be both, but rims and tires are much more expensive than just simply putting in a new pumpkin in the rear.

resq302

Quote from: bordin34 on February 20, 2008, 04:18:23 PM
But in NJ the state thinks we are too stupid to pump our own gas.  :slap:

Yeah, and I still pump my own gas.  I am not going to let some 17 year old know it all accidentally bang the nozzle into my car or the chrome cap trying to fill it up only to over fill it and spill gas all down the side of the car.  I don't care if its the law in NJ or not.  If it is the law, then why do I have to pump my own fuel when I am filling up the fire trucks on my department and police cars where I work?????
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto