News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please post factory pictures of 68,69,70 chargers on the assy line.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 16, 2008, 09:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I always wanted to start a thread about seeing pictures of chargers coming down the assembly line in 1968 1969 and 1970.  After seeing bull's picture of the 68 in this thread (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39958.0/all.html#bot)   it got me to finally ask around.  Please post any pictures you can find of "back in the day".
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

I can't recall the title of the thread, but I thought there were a bunch of pics already on here somewhere like that?

Brock Samson

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: JMF on February 16, 2008, 10:31:31 AM
Here's a few

O.k but this brings up the long and hard debated subject or 68 grilles having painted vertical silver bars or not?  :-\

Troy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 16, 2008, 11:27:59 AM
O.k but this brings up the long and hard debated subject or 68 grilles having painted longitude silver bars or not?  :-\
Who has been debating it? As far as I know, 68 Chargers had silver painted vertical fins - and so does the one in the picture. The fins were black in 69.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Troy on February 16, 2008, 12:03:10 PM
O.k but this brings up the long and hard debated subject or 68 grilles having painted longitude silver bars or not?  :-\
Who has been debating it? As far as I know, 68 Chargers had silver painted vertical fins - and so does the one in the picture. The fins were black in 69.

Troy

I remember there being a past thread that different people had different thoughts.  Me?  I look at those pictures and I'm sorry, I see black compared to the silver border line, I see how it can look like silver vertical , but I've always thought black.  I've seen close up factory shots and they were all black vertical speaking. :shruggy:  Maybe like the 69 having different shades of silver or grey for a grille, in 68 some had silver vertical lines and some didn't?  I just painted my grille Satin (Satan ) Nickle what do I know?

JimShine

Its funny because in the old commercials, you see poorly parked wipers. Supposedly this is due to worn wiper motors.

The 1968's had silver lines on the grille fins. Take an old one apart and you will see the bright remains under the emblems.

Troy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 16, 2008, 01:02:33 PM

Troy

I remember there being a past thread that different people had different thoughts.  Me?  I look at those pictures and I'm sorry, I see black compared to the silver border line, I see how it can look like silver verticle , but I've always thought black.  I've seen close up factory shots and they were all black verticly speaking. :shruggy:  Maybe like the 69 having different shades of silver or grey for a grille, in 68 some had silver verticle lines and some didn't?  I just painted my grille Satin (Satan ) Nickle what do I know?
I've seen people debate whether they should paint the fins when redoing the grill but not much debate on "which way were they from the factory". Painting the lines sometimes gives a strange effect or optical illusion and some people just don't like it so they leave them black. The outer part was painted silver/gray on all 68-69 grills - only the fins were treated differently between the two years. Well, those and the bezels around the lights. Only the very front edge is painted so it can be difficult to see in low light or at an angle.

I zoomed in and lightened the picture above so the fins would be easier to see.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Troy on February 16, 2008, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 16, 2008, 01:02:33 PM

Troy

I remember there being a past thread that different people had different thoughts.  Me?  I look at those pictures and I'm sorry, I see black compared to the silver border line, I see how it can look like silver vertical , but I've always thought black.  I've seen close up factory shots and they were all black vertical speaking. :shruggy:  Maybe like the 69 having different shades of silver or grey for a grille, in 68 some had silver vertical lines and some didn't?  I just painted my grille Satin (Satan ) Nickle what do I know?
I've seen people debate whether they should paint the fins when redoing the grill but not much debate on "which way were they from the factory". Painting the lines sometimes gives a strange effect or optical illusion and some people just don't like it so they leave them black. The outer part was painted silver/gray on all 68-69 grills - only the fins were treated differently between the two years. Well, those and the bezels around the lights. Only the very front edge is painted so it can be difficult to see in low light or at an angle.

I zoomed in and lightened the picture above so the fins would be easier to see.

Troy

I'm hearing ya, great pics.  Thanks.  I apologize, I went back to some early 68 ads I have and yep, plain as can be I see the silver lines.