News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got the brakes, axles and 3rd member out

Started by 70charginglizard, February 16, 2008, 12:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Well all is done for the 3rd member removal.
got everything out tonight.
tomorrow I go to the shop for drums turning if needed and new axle bearings if necessary.
Some picture from the greasy dirty fun I had tonight-

drums are off-

By kels70charger

where do all those brake springs connect before I take those off...lol-

By kels70charger

All the brake hardware is removed-
(don't forget to use that big hole in the axle for your socket wrench with an extension for the axle nuts on the other side. Don't try to use a regular wrench on the other side. Too much of a pain in the but. No clearance)

By kels70charger

brake cleaner....what a miricle, axles removed out of the housing-

By kels70charger

Axles out (that was easier than I thought it would be)-

By kels70charger

Lets get that drive line disconnected-

By kels70charger

now the 3rd member bolts-

By kels70charger

3rd members out....My back!!! ouch man that thing was heavy-

By kels70charger[/

All ready for tomorrow when the 3:23 goes back in.  :2thumbs:-
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

By kels70charger

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Questions for you guys today.

Before I put this other 3rd member in I was thinking about cleaning the gears off real good with something. Perhaps WD40.
Would that hurt them in any way shape or form?

Oh and how do you know if your universal joint need replacing?  mine actually look pretty good.

If I do, I supose I have to take the whole drive line into the shop to have it removed right? If I do that is there a way to plug the tranny side or do I just got to deal with all that fluid flowing out until it's empty?

oh, and regarding the axles-
The book shows two gaskets but looking closely at the axle after I pulled it, I only see one gasket on it. (The white one)

By kels70charger
It looks to me like those 2 gaskets the books talking about will actually be on top of each other. That isn't making much since to me?
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 16, 2008, 10:07:25 AM

The book shows two gaskets but looking closely at the axle after I pulled it, I only see one gasket on it. (The white one)

Just use a single gasket and some silicone....no worries.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 16, 2008, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 16, 2008, 10:07:25 AM

Just use a single gasket and some silicone....no worries.  :yesnod:

Ron

Why does the book show to use 2 gaskets??? that really seemed kind of stupid to me too especially the way it looks, they are right on top of each other.

70charginglizard

firefighter3931

The second "gasket" is a steel shim that most guys just eliminate during reassembly. Heck, i've put them back together without a gasket...just silicone.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 16, 2008, 11:22:26 AM
The second "gasket" is a steel shim that most guys just eliminate during reassembly. Heck, i've put them back together without a gasket...just silicone.  :yesnod:

Ron

So Ron,
what so you think about spray/clean those gears in the 3rd member off with WD40 before i put it back in?
Would that be a bad thing?
I just want to make sure I get all the dirt that may be in it from the exterior cleaning I did out before I put it in.
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 16, 2008, 11:31:06 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 16, 2008, 11:22:26 AM

Ron

So Ron,
what so you think about spray/clean those gears in the 3rd member off with WD40 before i put it back in?
Would that be a bad thing?
I just want to make sure I get all the dirt that may be in it from the exterior cleaning I did out before I put it in.

No problem....spray away !

Ron

70charginglizard

and I've hear a lot of feed back on weather to rebearing the axles...

Do you guys honestly believe I need to with the axle pics you've seen? They still seem pretty solid.

Problem is that if I do, I'll have to wait until the weekday to do this because all the machine shops around here are closed on the weekends. Grrrrrr.

Do you think I'll be ok just repacking them and throwin it all back in? They weren't making any noise before I took them out.

Man I'd really like to get this back together tonight. :-\
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 16, 2008, 12:45:46 PM
They weren't making any noise before I took them out.

Man I'd really like to get this back together tonight. :-\

Repack them and go.....i expect to see 2 black strips on your street before nighfall.  :D

Ron

Ghoste

Me too, less typing and more getting greasy.  Go on now, get back to work.

70charginglizard

how do I get those axle oil seals out? They are stuck in there good.

I need some kind of hook tool or something it seems.

:scratchchin:
70charginglizard

2Gunz

I just did mine and had the same problem.

On the first one I ended up using a hacksaw blade on it.

Then before I cut all the way through grabbed the part I cut, bent the 2 halfs up and then yanked it out.

On the second one I discovered that you dont have to pull it out straight because the metal lips on the seals are weak.

So I just used the claw of a hammer and pulled on it like hell.

Which is hindsight would have prolly also worked on the side I hacksawed.

Anywho....

Go REALLY slow when putting in the new seals.

Make sure they are even.

One side likes to go in then bend the other out of wack.

I got smart at some point and cut up some wood to the size of the seal then

slowly tapped the wood with a hammer.

Ghoste

And be careful taking the old ones out too.  Whatever tool you finally decide to attack them with, watch you don't score the housing surface.

70charginglizard

Pain in the butt!

but I got one side out and new one in.

I did have to go to the auto parts store for another new tool.

Now it's on to the other side.

It's getting there.

now back to work.  :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

3rd member is in and Axles are on on and all is working.

Now on to the brakes.  :D
70charginglizard

Ghoste

firefighter3931

70charginglizard

11:57pm. Finished.

12:45. just got back from the test run.

Everything is running perfectly. :2thumbs:

Told you I'd finish the job before midnight. ;)
70charginglizard

69bronzeT5

Good job Kelly. Im not looking forward to the rear end stuff on my '69...especially the rear end swap :-\
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

Good work, now you'll have to give us some driving impressions.  Cody, the hardest part is paying for the parts, you won't have any big problems with the doing portion I'm sure.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70charginglizard on February 17, 2008, 03:44:38 AM
11:57pm. Finished.

12:45. just got back from the test run.

Everything is running perfectly. :2thumbs:

Told you I'd finish the job before midnight. ;)

:bow:

70charginglizard

Quote from: Ghoste on February 17, 2008, 07:18:02 AM
Good work, now you'll have to give us some driving impressions.  Cody, the hardest part is paying for the parts, you won't have any big problems with the doing portion I'm sure.

Impressions...
I know I love looking aut of the back window and seeing two lines of white smoke puring out of the wheelwells.  :drive:

Now that is just good stuff.

They are pretty tame gears though like you guys have been saying. Not much difference for them and my old 2:76's

but again, My ultimate goal was to see both those tires lighting up at the line which they are doing very well now. :2thumbs:

I'll tell you more after today as it is a totally awesome beautiful sunny day up here in the great northwest.
So I'm off on a nice little cruize.
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Oh, and some more pics of the 3rd member in, the brake build up soon after and my good buddy Mike who helped me thru the brakes and cooked the steaks in the celebration dinner afterwords-

By kels70charger

By kels70charger

[url=http://imageshack.us]

By kels70charger

By kels70charger

By kels70charger[/URL

70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Those blue brake shoes look pretty bling  :apimp: such a shame to cover them up  :lol:

Kudos to Mike for lending a hand !  :2thumbs:

Ron

CB

wow, that's not a steak, that's half a cow :o :o

nice work on the rebuild and thanks for the pics/info!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500