News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange electrical flux

Started by Highway by the Sea, February 03, 2008, 12:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highway by the Sea

I was driving my 73 Plymouth Satellite tonight and noticed that the dash lights and headlights were looking dim, then flickering from dim to bright.  The alt gauge was also jumping back and forth during this strange power flux.  I also noticed that this would happen when I was hitting the gas, but at idle did not notice it.  I replaced every electrical part under the hood in this car months ago with new wiring harness, alternator, volt regulator, coil, electronic ignition distributor, ignition relay, battery, and battery cables.  I had to overcome similar electrical gremlins back then.  This is the first problem in a while, so I could use some input.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71_deputy

recheck voltage reg. bolts- nice and tight, clean-no paint by threads, and bulkhead connections too.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Highway by the Sea

I checked the bulkhead (not sure what I am looking for but everything semed as it was before) and the volt regulator wires.  Still nothing unusual.  I cannot get to the ammeter wires yet because my factory Chrysler radio is in the way, and I only recently got it workling.  But I know that they were tight when I checked them several months ago.  As I stated in a previous post, this car had under hood wires that were fried like the Colonels chicken when I bought it and a fried/fused alternator.  I guess that 35 year old wiring will always have problems.

Highway by the Sea

I have noticed that the flux only seems to occur when the headlights are on.  Perhaps it is the bulkhead.  I still have not fixed it yet.

xp29g

You'll need to take the time to ensure that the terminals deep down insde are clean. Just looking at the tips of them won't tell you how clean the contact point is. The actual contact point is down inside the terminal itself. I use a Dremel with a small diamond tipped bit to reach inside there and clean the terminals up on the harnesses I work on. The spray cleaners you can buy do ok, but won't deliver the results you need. You may also want to check your ground wires, and their contact points as well, from the battery to the block, to the firewall, and everywhere there is a ground wire attached, particularly in the charging, and headlight systems.

Tophucious say: Part known new not known good.

Topher