News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brake conversion

Started by l8rg8r, February 13, 2008, 12:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

l8rg8r

I have a 68 rr with front drum brakes I want to install discs from a 74 charger I have the whole front suspension from the charger can this be done and if so what do I need :scratchchin:

terrible one

Since it's not mentioned in the thread, and you will probably run into the same thing, don't forget to switch the spindles around so that you can mount the calipers to the back! As you'll see, mine were mounted in the front and did hit the sway bar mount, so I had to switch them around (I had only mocked one up at the time though, so no big deal). Also, I simply used the '74 Charger front brake lines and it seems like they are going to work, still need to let the car down and turn the wheel, have someone put weight on the suspension, etc. to make sure. Also, just in case you have the same problem as I do with finding the banjo bolts, they are HELP! part number 13935 (you know, the funky brand with random parts that there are billions of at the local part store).

Shakey

Quote from: terrible one on February 13, 2008, 11:51:03 AM

Since it's not mentioned in the thread, and you will probably run into the same thing, don't forget to switch the spindles around so that you can mount the calipers to the back! As you'll see, mine were mounted in the front and did hit the sway bar mount, so I had to switch them around (I had only mocked one up at the time though, so no big deal). Also, I simply used the '74 Charger front brake lines and it seems like they are going to work, still need to let the car down and turn the wheel, have someone put weight on the suspension, etc. to make sure. Also, just in case you have the same problem as I do with finding the banjo bolts, they are HELP! part number 13935 (you know, the funky brand with random parts that there are billions of at the local part store).

Do you have any photos of your brake hoses and how the fit was?   :popcrn:

terrible one

Quote from: Shakey on February 13, 2008, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: terrible one on February 13, 2008, 11:51:03 AM

Do you have any photos of your brake hoses and how the fit was?   :popcrn:

I'll try and get some pretty soon. . . today or tomorrow or something. I have some school shit to do before I go into work. (BTW, they are exactly 15" long . . .)

terrible one

Shakey,

Haven't forgotten about those pictures for you, trying to grab some OT at work. I was over there the other day just to grab something and looked, and at full turn to the left on the passenger side (meaning the caliper is as far out as it will get) it gets pretty tight, but that's with the suspension bottomed out. . .

Shakey

71charger_fan

Here's a link that will take you to more links that will probably take you to even more links. This may be the most commonly asked question in all of Mopardom.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32906.msg358590.html#msg358590