News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

internal or external oil pickup?

Started by JerseyJoe, February 12, 2008, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyJoe

I've got a 493" stroker and I'm thinking about using an external oil pickup instead of machining my stock block passages.
Any pros or cons?

mally69

If your going to use an external pickup then you might as well buy the 543 kit

JerseyJoe

Quote from: mally69 on February 12, 2008, 10:08:32 PM
If your going to use an external pickup then you might as well buy the 543 kit
My buddy told me the external line will make it run like a 543!  :smilielol:

mally69

I bought the 512 kit, I have never heard anything about having to modifiy the block's oil passeges.  :shruggy:

JerseyJoe

Quote from: mally69 on February 12, 2008, 10:15:16 PM
I bought the 512 kit, I have never heard anything about having to modifiy the block's oil passeges.  :shruggy:

Oh yeah, lots has been discussed about when switching from a 3/8" pickup tube to 1/2" should the passage in the block to the pump be opened up to match so there's no "bottleneck" after the top of the pickup.
I thought I may bypass all of that and use the ext. line but I've never used one. Just looking for opinions.  :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

I would run the internal pickup whenever possible. The 1/2in upgrade depends on the engine's usage ; High RPM motors will benefit from the increased oil volume. A hydraulic cammed 6000rpm street motor doesn't need it, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

In my op. money spent on a good oiling system is always money well spent, even if the engine might not be a balls to the wall performance engine...

/Tom

JerseyJoe

Hey Ron,
    I shouldn't need to go too high with the RPM's with this motor. But it is a solid lifter cam that may see an occasional blast past 6000.
The cold weather has me over-thinkin' the build again  ;)

Musicman

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
I would run the internal pickup whenever possible. The 1/2in upgrade depends on the engine's usage ; High RPM motors will benefit from the increased oil volume. A hydraulic cammed 6000rpm street motor doesn't need it, inmo.  :Twocents:
Ron

For what it's worth, I agree with Ron... anything up to a 512 should not be an issue, especially on a street runner. I feel that reaming out the often stagered oil passageways between the crank and the lifter gallery to a full 1/4" or 17/64" is always a good idea however. Even if it's only for the sake of consistency. Enlarging the pickup from 3/8 to a 1/2" is more of an option in this case than a necessity.  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

1/2" internal pick-up..      way easier to mess with.  :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

I've always questioned the wisdom of an external pickup over a 1/2" internal pickup.

Supposedly, the idea behind the external pickup is to avoid the sharp corner inside the block but most practical external setups require at least two 90° elbows on the way to the pump cover and a third 90° if a swinging pickup is used. What's the advantage in that?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

For 1/2" HEMI pickup conversion on Strokers, here is something you may consider.

We were getting lots of Strokers, for a few years now, for guys with Street Cars, that don't want external Pickups.

To service "those guys",

We built a "guide", (for an end mill that we hand bomb in a drill), that bolts to the Pan Rail, and "drills" the Hole Offset from the stock 3/8 Hole, over closer to the side of the Block.

We then hand port and blend smooth, and enlarge the Hole all the way through, radius'ing the turn to the Oil Pump mount face, prior to then tapping for the 1/2" HEMI Pickup.
Then, some cleanup and relief is applied to the painrail, and, Presto, we're done.
Takes about an Hour to do.

I'll post some photos next one we do.

You may be surprised how BIG a Stroke Crank, WILL fit, with an Internal Pickup.

It just made our lives easier, and Customers happier, with so many Strokers these days.

Moves the Pickup over where it "outa be".

Maybe I should "patent" or "sell" a KIT to do it ?

No matter, I just told the "whole world" how it can be done !
Somebody else will figure out an even better way.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

racecharger

That sounds like a really good idea!!
I was going to put an 1/2" pickup in my stroker build.  But it cracked when I made the threads :'(

Now the crack is welded and the hole is plugged (I don't dare to screw the pickup in the hole again)

And now I have bought an external pickup and modified my oilpan.
I wouldn't have gone external if I didn't have to..