News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sunset at the North Pole pic.

Started by MorePwr, February 11, 2008, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

400/6/PAC

Shakey

Quote from: MorePwr on February 11, 2008, 07:55:20 PM
No I didn't take the photo. wish I had, I would love to see that in person.

My Sister and her Husband live 300kms North of the Arctic Circle, well they did until last October, and I never made the journey up there.

There were periods where they wouldn't see the sun for weeks and also where it wouldn't get dark for weeks.

I saw some beautiful photos that they took while they were there, including the shots of the Polar Bears that wandered into town.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MM1R/T

Shakey:

What was the name of the town your sister lived in? I spent 2-1/2 (very long) years in Inuvik.

The sun set on Dec. 6 and didn't rise again until Jan. 6.

69charger2002

with a moon that big who needs the sun!
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

A383Wing

I got that as one of my desktop wallpapers on my computer

Bryan    :2thumbs:

leeandgrant

1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

Shakey

Quote from: MorePwr on February 11, 2008, 08:05:14 PM
I would imagine the long periods of darkness could get depressing, but sure would be an experience. anyway you could get some of those photos? love to see them.

These are the Polar Bears that wandered into town.  They have three strikes - the first two, they are led back out to the tundra, the third time they make rugs outta them!

Shakey

Quote from: MM1R/T on February 11, 2008, 11:27:00 PM
Shakey:

What was the name of the town your sister lived in? I spent 2-1/2 (very long) years in Inuvik.

The sun set on Dec. 6 and didn't rise again until Jan. 6.

Her and her Husband lived in Igloolik.  See the green arrow at the top of the map!

tomt

Bogus picture. It was digitally created by a 22 year old German student. Go to www.snopes.com and type in "arctic sunset" in the search block.
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side."

Charger_Fan

I was thinking it looked made up, mainly because of the moon size, but I'm trying to not be pessimistic. :icon_smile_tongue:
Oh well, still looks cool.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Rolling_Thunder

Yea = Sun sets and Sun rises are pretty trippy in the arctic...    My father told me all about how weird it is - (He was stationed in Antartica for two years in the Navy)  He doesn't miss it much - he said penguins will try to peck you....          white-outs do exist....         and -100*F was a WARM DAY
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

PocketThunder

what is the purpose for going there?  :shruggy:  any purpose at all? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

Brock Samson

charger_mike75

Shakey

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 13, 2008, 04:09:28 PM
what is the purpose for going there?  :shruggy:  any purpose at all? 

There are people (natives, Eskimos whatever you choose to call them) that have lived there way before the white man came over on the Mayflower.  They have lived off of that land by utilizing it resources for countless generations.  Over time certain few have made their way South to more modern civilization to share with us what they have learned from the land.  Scientists with curiosty are willing to explore the land to learn from it, something that may help us understand it better.  As they share with the world what they have learned others decide to go and explore and find some pretty interesting things.

Mining - gold, diamonds, nickel, zinc

Since there are now mining towns up there, supplies are needed.  Then people move up there to live.  Then you need all of the amenities that any town will need, no matter it's location.

My Brother-in-Law was stationed in the RCMP detachment up there and of course his Wife went with him.  She taught school while he patrolled the town of about 1500 people with one other Mountie.

Brock Samson

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

Hey I've heard that they have "oil" in places like that? Is that true Brock?  :nana:

Crazy Larry

I was fortunate enough to spend time in Antarctica and the North Pole. The sun sets and sunrises were amazing. I spent an Antarctic summer down there for a few months back in 1999-2000 - the sun never set for almost two months, Daylight 24/7. It was really amazing.

I wish I had a digital camera at the time, I would have taken more pictures. here are some that I still have.

Both places were amazing.

PocketThunder

Quote from: MorePwr on February 14, 2008, 11:54:04 PM
Something I found a few years back while looking for info on my snowcat that I thought was interesting to keep in my favorites file for this long.  a first hand perspective on a very tough place.... the north.  it's cold up there!!!!

http://www.thuleforum.com/wayne_leland_kanorr_1.htm

Good Read!!  "did i mention that it was COLD!"  :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :smilielol:

Rolling_Thunder

Nice Adelie penguins...      My dad said him and his buddies trued to catch an emperor penguin but couldn't hold on to it...     slippery when wet i guess...      :RantExplode:             I'll see if i can find some of the photos my pops took when he was down there...     I remeber him showing this picture where some guy put a frozen seal on top of the McMurdo Station sign...      :scratchchin:

My dad was down there in 1979 when Flight 901 Crashed down there...        not exactly a fun time to work there so i hear...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip