News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Check this out.. Dana 60

Started by mally69, February 08, 2008, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

I picked up a dana 60 today and look what I found inside  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:   It measure's 56.5 inches flange to flange so i know its not from a b-body but hey  its not bad for not paying a single penny for it  ;) ;) a perfect mate for the 512. 

These pics make it look alittle worse than it really is, everything cleaned up. :2thumbs:

The axles have 30 slpines.. I though dana 60's were supposed to have 35 slpine's  :shruggy:

mally69

John_Kunkel

Mopar passenger car Danas have either 23 or 35 splines, many trucks have 30 splines. What do the axle flanges look like?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mally69

here

mally69

It has 4.10 gears and some kind of a limited slip/ posi which ever ,,  If i use the 30 spline unit will it hold up to my 512 ???

Animal

Don't wanna rain on your parade , but shoud'nt you have 5 bolts on the axle ends , or are you gonna weld some new ends on.

:2thumbs:

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

firefighter3931

Nice score ! That is a powerlock suregrip unit and it is rebuildable.  :2thumbs: The 4.10  gears are a huge bonus. The ends are not for a car but you'll be cutting the tubes down anyway and adding the correct 5 bolt axle flanges. Strange sells a nice street/strip 35 spline axle and you will have to swap in some 35 spline side gears to match the axles but that's no big deal....that's how mine was done. You will also need spring perches welded in the correct location.

Does the center section have provision for a pinion snubber ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 08, 2008, 09:23:25 PM
Nice score ! That is a powerlock suregrip unit and it is rebuildable.  :2thumbs: The 4.10  gears are a huge bonus. The ends are not for a car but you'll be cutting the tubes down anyway and adding the correct 5 bolt axle flanges. Strange sells a nice street/strip 35 spline axle and you will have to swap in some 35 spline side gears to match the axles but that's no big deal....that's how mine was done. You will also need spring perches welded in the correct location.

Ron

Nope, no pinion snubber.   I about fell over when I looked down and seen this thing laying, the funny thing is someone opened it up and took all the ring gear bolts and left everthing else, that was strange.. So basically with the inside's, I can use all of what I have except the side gears which need to be for a 35 spline?? and of course all new clutches..Notice where the 60 is stamped in the lower left hand corner, the 6 is upside down. :slap:

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on February 09, 2008, 12:22:20 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 08, 2008, 09:23:25 PM

Ron

Nope, no pinion snubber.   I about fell over when I looked down and seen this thing laying, the funny thing is someone opened it up and took all the ring gear bolts and left everthing else, that was strange.. So basically with the inside's, I can use all of what I have except the side gears which need to be for a 35 spline?? and of course all new clutches..Notice where the 60 is stamped in the lower left hand corner, the 6 is upside down. :slap:

The lack of a snubber mount indicates that it's not a car D60 but with SS springs or Caltracs the snubber is not needed anyway (non functional)

Correct, you will need new side gears if you want to upgrade to a better axle which is a very good idea with a 650-700hp motor. I would also replace all the bearings and seals while you're at it and inspect the ring/pinion for any abnormal wear/chipped teeth etc...

The housing ends are available new as are all the other parts. When i had mine built it came with Green Bearings, the Strange SST axles and 3in studs...all of which you will need. Dr Diff carries all this stuff so if you're gonna build it locally just order the parts from him and have it shipped.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Thanks guys :2thumbs:   Today I got a bit curious I had an extra 8 3/4 axle laying around and its the exact same splines as the 60 that i picked up. Its not the same length it just has the same splines.  ::)

charger2fast4u

John_Kunkel

That rear end is probably from a sixties Ford truck, what bolt pattern are the wheel lugs?.

Look for the date stamped in the ring gear.

mally69

It has a kinda large 5 bolt pattern,  Im not sure if this matters but it has a 3 1/2 tube instead of a 3''   I will look for a date tomarrow on the ring gear..

mally69

It was made in 1967, its on the ring gear..

John_Kunkel

Ford pickup wheels through much of the seventies had a 5 X 5 1/2" bolt pattern.

Steve P.

Smellin like a Rose buddy...   Great score.. :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida