News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Problem HELP! UPDATED

Started by pb24, February 09, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

1968 Charger 383 stock engine with four wheel drum power brakes. One of the front brake hoses developed a small leak so I replaced both front hoses, bled the brakes took the car for a short drive and they worked fine. Today I went for a long drive and for the first part of my drive the brakes worked fine. When I got to my destination I noticed that the engine was Idling rough and on my way home I noticed that I had to push really hard on the brakes to stop  the car. When I got home I bled the front brakes again and adjusted all four wheels and it didn't help. I pulled the hose from the booster at the manifold and felt vacuum and when I plugged the fitting with my thumb the engine idled a lot smoother. You can tell That the booster is not original but I don't know how old it is. Do you think my booster is bad? Is there any way to test it? Also the brake pedal doesn't go down after you start the car.

Todd Wilson

Sounds to me like yur booster has failed.

Todd

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemihead

Yep , booster went south on ya .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

booster leak... diaphragm broken or even the baquelite body ( center section ). It could be also the front seal went bad, or the check valve or seal.

Since you are getting a rought iddle, I would think more toward to some leak to outside. Just diaphragm broken will make a bigger vacuum chamber joining front and rear chambers , but if all seals are still god, will keep vacuum to keep smooth iddle. Just would get hard braking.

I can be wrong thought! but I'm thinking on the booster design, what as far I know is a sealed chamber all around.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pb24

I replaced the brake booster today and it solved my problem. BUT the brakes act differently. With the old booster all i needed was a lite touch of the brake pedal and the brakes would grab all most locking up the wheels. With the new booster I have to apply a lot more pressure to the pedal to make the car stop. Is this normal or do i have another problem.

bordin34

Did you bleed all the lines on when you replaced the booster? Try doing that to see if it firms up.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

pb24

I Didn't disconnect the master when i replaced the booster. I did bleed all the brakes before i replaced the booster. The pedal is firm but i have to push a lot harder to stop the car with the new booster compared to the old booster.

resq302

Did you adjust the rod that comes out of the booster to the master cylinder enough?  If it is not adjusted properly, extra pedal travel might be necessary to make up for the lack of adjustment.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

pb24

I adjusted the rod to the same length as the old rod. How much free play should you have at the pedal?
The problem is that I have apply a lot more pressure to the brake pedal make the car stop compaired to the old booster.