News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you take off the old bearings on the axles?

Started by dspaulding70, February 20, 2008, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

I have an 8 3/4 rear end sure grip and I need to take off the old bearings but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it without damaging the axles.......HELP!

Also, I plan to go back with the "green" bearings.  Any comments/suggestions of vendor for those?

Darrell

John_Kunkel

You need a press to remove/install the bearings. Are the old bearings defective? Why change to Greens?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dspaulding70

Was told by the previous owner that he thought they needed to be changed.  I assumed he knew more than I did.  I am not sure what I am looking for to determine if they are in need to replacement.

471_Magnum

• Buy new green bearings.
  • Remove old axles.
  • Bring to machine shop.
  • Come back next day, hand over $40.
  • Bring axles home.
  • Remove thrust button.
  • Reinstall axles.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Chatt69chgr

The green bearings are ball bearings.  The original Mopar bearings are tapered roller bearings.   Ball bearings are not intended to resist side thrust.  They do work quite nicely for drag racing where you are mostly going in a straight line.  Not to say they won't work for a period of time but that isn't what Ma Mopar intended.  You can get the original equipment bearings at Auto Zone of all places-----Timken Tapered Roller Bearings.  And it does take a press to get them off.  Best to take down to local machine shop and let them handle the job.  I had some on a 65 Belvedere II that took 50 tons force to get off----------leastways, that's what the guy said when he came back out with them installed.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 20, 2008, 09:20:28 PM
The green bearings are ball bearings.  The original Mopar bearings are tapered roller bearings.   Ball bearings are not intended to resist side thrust.  They do work quite nicely for drag racing where you are mostly going in a straight line.  Not to say they won't work for a period of time but that isn't what Ma Mopar intended.  You can get the original equipment bearings at Auto Zone of all places-----Timken Tapered Roller Bearings.  And it does take a press to get them off.  Best to take down to local machine shop and let them handle the job.  I had some on a 65 Belvedere II that took 50 tons force to get off----------leastways, that's what the guy said when he came back out with them installed.

It probably is a lot more convenient to go and get someone press them off, but I recently did mine myself using a Dremmel tool. Very easy but you do have to make sure you don't score the axle.

I have Grren bearings in my Charger - no trouble so far and I drive it almost daily.I say try the Green bearings, if there does happen to be a problem, use the others next time. It's not a hard fix.
Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

chargerbr549

I have seen several ways people have done it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend all of them.

Take and drill into the collar retainer that goes up against the bearing and take a cold chisel and snap it and for the bearing like Peter said use a dremmel tool or grinder and grind a groove without touching the axle  and use a cold chisel to snap it, once they crack they will slide right off.

Using the torch is a gray area with so I would recommend probably not doing it this way but I have seen it done without people having problems. Use the torch to cut-off the bearing and collar, or heat them red hot in one area and hit them with a ball peen hammer they will loosen and slide right off or get a bearing puller set-up like they use in the factory manual.

Kevin

dspaulding70

Thanks for the advice.  I decided to take them to the nearest automotive shop and they charged me $10 to remove the old ones and press on the new ones. 

RallyeMike

Ten bucks is a smokin deal. Not sure why anyone would want to change out the awesome Timkens though    :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/