News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How long does it generally take for new paint to cure?

Started by bull, February 04, 2008, 10:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm wanting to get a car cover while the Charger sits inside but it seems to me it might be a good idea to leave it alone for some time to let the paint cure (I got it back from the paint shop last week). Any idea how long it takes to cure and if it matters if the car is covered during that time?

hemihead

I was always taught 30 days but maybe someone else knows more .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

charger50071

It depends on several things. 1, did the body shop bake your car? 2, did the shop use  a single or two stage paint? 3, whats the temperature where the car is stored? 4, has the car been wet sanded and buffed yet? all these things make a big difference in knowing if the paint is cured. A simple guess is no, not for a couple of months would the paint really be cured/hard. I don't think a car cover that is soft and care was used putting it on would hurt anything.
1971 Charger 500 383
1971 Charger RT 440-6
1965 Coronet 500 426 wedge
1960 Phoenix D-500 convertable crossram

Charger-Bodie

bull,

the finish needs to breath for atleast a month, personally Id try to keep the cover off for about 8 weeks , just to be safe.

Its not so much about marring etc. , but the solvents need to be able to escape. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MichaelRW

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 05, 2008, 08:32:20 AM
bull,

the finish needs to breath for atleast a month, personally Id try to keep the cover off for about 8 weeks , just to be safe.

Its not so much about marring etc. , but the solvents need to be able to escape. :Twocents:

Good advice.  :yesnod:
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

bull

Thanks. Right now is a good time for it to be uncovered since there's not much kid-in-the-garage activity this time of year. I'll leave it until about mid March and then cover it up.