News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What alternator do you run on your 440? Where is best place to get it?

Started by dspaulding70, February 02, 2008, 02:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

Any other opinions I should hear before purchasing one for my new 440 rebuild?

Thanks.

68charger383

Powermaster 80 amp, purchased from summit.

When installing the new alternator, run an 8 gauge wire from the alternator to your ammeter and your whole car will have plenty of Amps to handle your cars needs.

Here's a great article on the different mods suggested:
http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

Here's also the best discussion on upgrading your system
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33574.0.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

JR

The www.440source.com Nippendenso alternator upgrade. Doesn't put out that much more juice than a nice factory one, but it is reliable, smaller, lighter, and looks better under hood.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Chatt69chgr

I ordered a rebuilt unit by ACDelco.  They offer a quality rebuild--see their website.  Nobody locally carried the ACDelco rebuilt unit.  Got to be careful who the rebuilder is since a lot of the rebuilt units are not much good.  Napa usually carries good parts.  You might check them.

moparguy01

I wouldnt buy a electrical part from Napa unless you really like replacing them. they usually are covered in warranty at least the first 2 or 3 times they burn out..... :eek2:

i'm running a stock reman alternator from checker auto parts.

dspaulding70

As always, thanks for the help.  Going to get mine today.  One last question.....1 wire alternator or not?  That is the question.

472 R/T SE

Don't wanna go too big if you're runnin' the original dash harness.   :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: JR on February 02, 2008, 05:18:03 PM
The www.440source.com Nippendenso alternator upgrade. Doesn't put out that much more juice than a nice factory one, but it is reliable, smaller, lighter, and looks better under hood.

Some of those little Densos are rated at 140 amps.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

That article I referenced in Mopar Enthuiast (I think that's the name--issue on newstands now) shows a dual field alternator which was used from 1970 forward.  You would use this alternator with the Mopar Voltage regulator they still sell that bolts on the firewall.  In fact, they are now selling a reproduction of this regulator in black correct for 70 and 71's (mopar that is).  This alternator is called the squareback.  The one used 69 and down is the round back.  The article says you can use the dual field alternator in a single wire application by shorting out one field to the case.  I have never done this--------am just quoting what the magazine article says.  I think most modern rebuilt alternators are 60 plus amps.  Article also says that NOS parts (I don't know if that's the right name) sells a replacement for the old electromechanical regular used in the single field application that has modern guts but looks externally like the old regulator.  Probably need to go to Books-a-Million and check out the article.  May want to be careful about putting a much higher current alternator in there if you have the original harness.  I think the std round back alternators were something like 43 Amps output.

dkn1997

you don't need to waste your time on aftermarket brackets or powermasters or whatever.  get a stock alt off an 02 dodge ram van (or just find that part number) and it bolts right into your stock big block alternator brackets.  it's even dual field externally regulated too.  if you are already dual field, then your only wiring change is to add a 4g main charge wire from alternator to starter relay.  this avoids putting all of the current from a modern alt through your lousy firewall bulkhead connector and amp gauge. 
RECHRGED

tommymac

I think I just got a square back instead of the round one , it looks the same from the front but the back has a square bottom to it. Has visible diaodes there. it also has two plug on ternimals and one bolt on one,My old one has one plug on and one bolt on ,New one is Chrome from Summit. Can I still use this one and not hook up the ground wire.; one of the spade plug ons.

Goldfinger71

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Plumcrazy

It's not a 440 but it's close enough.  ;D

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 07, 2008, 06:25:32 PM
you don't need to waste your time on aftermarket brackets or powermasters or whatever.  get a stock alt off an 02 dodge ram van (or just find that part number) and it bolts right into your stock big block alternator brackets.  it's even dual field externally regulated too.  if you are already dual field, then your only wiring change is to add a 4g main charge wire from alternator to starter relay.  this avoids putting all of the current from a modern alt through your lousy firewall bulkhead connector and amp gauge. 

dkn1997, I looked on napa on line  and all the alts. they list for an 02 ram van come with a 7 groove pulley not a v-belt pulley. Did you change the pulley to a v-belt pulley, if so where did you get the pulley. Are you sure you used an 02 ram van alt ? And it fit a 440 with the stock brackets.

2Gunz

Try a 1998 or 1989 dodge cargo van.... I forget which year.

Its like 126ish amps.

Thats what I have in my car.

I have pictures of the box and all in this thread.....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19802.0.html

dkn1997

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on February 21, 2008, 10:32:32 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on February 07, 2008, 06:25:32 PM

dkn1997, I looked on napa on line  and all the alts. they list for an 02 ram van come with a 7 groove pulley not a v-belt pulley. Did you change the pulley to a v-belt pulley, if so where did you get the pulley. Are you sure you used an 02 ram van alt ? And it fit a 440 with the stock brackets.

Absolutely used that alt..got it off ebay from a shop that does ambulance conversions with dual altrnators.  yes it had a serp pulley pulley. with very little ingenuity, you can use a pulley from a gm car. I took the alt to a shop that rebuilds them and they had a box of pulleys under the counter and I just picked one that fit.  a few more details, check these links. sort of half assed tech articles I did for 2 other boards I go to. 

the long story, but has every little detail
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61642

the readers digest version
http://cuda66273.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=Tech&action=display&thread=1081309590
RECHRGED

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 2Gunz on February 22, 2008, 05:08:39 AM

Its like 126ish amps.

2Gunz, I read your post on your alt swap and you said that the pulley is a little to big to get full voltage at idle but it is close. Do you know what the voltage reading was at idle with and with out the lights on. I'm just wondering how many volts you had at idle with the lights on, I want to put in an alt set up that will work with lights on in gear and not have the lights go dim like all the old mopars do. Thanks, Alan

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on February 24, 2008, 11:19:51 AM

Its like 126ish amps.

2Gunz, I read your post on your alt swap and you said that the pulley is a little to big to get full voltage at idle but it is close. Do you know what the voltage reading was at idle with and with out the lights on. I'm just wondering how many volts you had at idle with the lights on, I want to put in an alt set up that will work with lights on in gear and not have the lights go dim like all the old mopars do. Thanks, Alan

The alternator in the picture I posted above came from Mancini racing.   It already has a single groove pulley on it but you do need an electrical connector.

With my car in gear, with the headlights on, the heater blower running full speed, the wipers running and the stereo with subwoofer cranked up, it still shows a slight charge on the ammeter.  The only way I could get it to show a discharge at idle was to turn on the high beams, turn the wipers on high speed and the rear defogger running high speed also.  It only showed about a 3 to 5 amps discharge with all that running.

It's a huge improvement over the stock alternators. :yesnod:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on February 24, 2008, 11:19:51 AM

Its like 126ish amps.

2gunz, you said that the pulley is a little to big to get full voltage at idle, can you tell me what you meant by that. I'm looking at doing the same swap,do you know what your voltage reading was at idle :shruggy:  Alan

2Gunz

Sorry for the delay..........

Basically at idle the voltage output is just shy of "level".

Meaning its charging at idle but if you go up 200 RPM and the lights get a little brighter.

I did meter it and found it to be more than acceptable at the time.

And come to think of it I believe the battery was was mostly dead at the time.

So it would have been extra power hungry at the time.  And i really havent noticed it being

Dim since.

Anyway even being a little short voltage wise at idle its prolly charging way more than the stock

one at full boar.

Ill try to take some voltage readings for you when I get a chance.

The Alt and Optima battery are one of the best upgrades I have done for that car.

I wouldnt hesitate a second on doing it.

2Gunz

Sorry for the delay.

Voltage with car off is 12.5 Volts

Car at idle 13.8 - 14.4 (idle kinda wanders when its cold, I suspect running smooth it would settle into a steady 14.4)

Car just above idle - 15.5 Volts and doesnt go higher reguardless of engine RPM

I checked out the headlight dimming thing and you can barely tell the difference between idle and just above idle.

I have done a headlight relay upgrade and that Im sure helps that as well.

Hope this helps.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 2Gunz on March 17, 2008, 08:36:13 PM

Sorry for the delay.

Voltage with car off is 12.5 Volts

Car at idle 13.8 - 14.4 (idle kinda wanders when its cold, I suspect running smooth it would settle into a steady 14.4)

Car just above idle - 15.5 Volts and doesnt go higher reguardless of engine RPM

I checked out the headlight dimming thing and you can barely tell the difference between idle and just above idle.

I have done a headlight relay upgrade and that Im sure helps that as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info 2Gunz, I did the headlight relay also. It looks like the alt. swap you did works good, I'm going to do the same swap thanks for the info :2thumbs: Alan

2Gunz