News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lunati voodoo cams

Started by 69chargerR/T, January 27, 2008, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

I read a post some where that holley no longer makes lunati cams, and that another cam company makes the lunati cams. But I don't remember what company bought it from holley. Do any of you guys know who did. Thanks Alan

firefighter3931

Alan, the Lunati cams are still available through Summit....but i'm not sure who Holley sold it to  :shruggy:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerR/T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 27, 2008, 08:23:30 PM
Alan, the Lunati cams are still available through Summit....but i'm not sure who Holley sold it to  :shruggy:

Ron

Thanks Ron, heres what I found :2thumbs:

Found this.. here is the new website: http://www.lunatipower.com/

How about this!

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:32 pm Post subject: Holley Sells Lunati

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the designer of the VooDoo cams, here is what I know.

At the SEMA show, a group of private investors from North Carolina bought Lunati away from Holley.
The investors invited Ron Coleman, the owner of Comp Cams, to join with them as another private investor.
Comp Cams, the company, owns no part of Lunati.
The investors have asked me to do future cam designs for Lunati, both in my VooDoo line, and in the Lunati line.
I have heard that they intend for Lunati to return to being "The Racer's Cam Company".
If anyone is interested in VooDoos, or other cams that I have designed, or will design, please let me know.
Tuesday my phone number will be 662-562-7400, and I will answer as "UDHarold".
I also have Morel lifters, and Pacalloy valve springs.

UDHarold

firefighter3931

Interesting.....Harold was the owner of the now defunct Ultradyne cam company. Those were awesome cams and the dude knows his stuff. Last i heard he was working for "Bullet Cams" and you could still purchase the old Ultradyne grinds through Bullet Cams. I think Harold also worked for Lunati at one time.

Alan, are you wanting to buy a VooDoo cam ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerR/T

Yea Ron I was looking at the 60303 for my 440, I was also looking at the comp XE 274H. I know your not a fan of comp cams but the XE274H looks close to the 60393 but less lift I'm not sure what cam is better. I'm going to be doing a cam swap before spring I'm sure one of these cams is better than the mp 484 I have now!!! I have good top end power with the mp cam but I would like something with a little more bottom end power :2thumbs: A cam that would come in a little sooner say 1500-1800 or so,my car is only street driven so a little more power down low I think would pull better on the street :2thumbs:

Alan

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on January 27, 2008, 11:08:59 PM
Yea Ron I was looking at the 60303 for my 440, I was also looking at the comp XE 274H. I know your not a fan of comp cams but the XE274H looks close to the 60393 but less lift I'm not sure what cam is better. I'm going to be doing a cam swap before spring I'm sure one of these cams is better than the mp 484 I have now!!! I have good top end power with the mp cam but I would like something with a little more bottom end power :2thumbs: A cam that would come in a little sooner say 1500-1800 or so,my car is only street driven so a little more power down low I think would pull better on the street :2thumbs:

Alan

Why not an Engle K56 ? That grind works great with a stock converter. The XE274 will want more stall (2800-3000) allthough it's about 8* smaller than the 284 MP cam (230 vs 238 At .050 valve lift)

The k56 is 223@.050 and has more lift than either the Comp or the MP stick with less seat to seat timing....meaning it will idle better and make more torque. The K56 is basicly the same as a Comp XE268 with more high lift area under the curve.

The Comp XE's are descent cams and the XEHL's are even better....but those profiles (XEHL) require valveguide modifications with stock heads. The K56 will work fine with a stock head that has unmodified guides...valve lift is .504  :2thumbs:

Ron

john108

Ron  --  What does "less seat to seat timing" mean?  Smaller LSA or skinnier lobes?? :shruggy: :shruggy:

69chargerR/T

Ron, awhile ago I posted my build and one of the cams you suggested was the voodoo 60303 and the other one I think was an engle but I don't remember what one. I was going to get the voodoo cam but, like always some thing came up and I no longer had the $$$ to do the cam swap :brickwall: I'm going to do the cam swap with my tax refund this year. This is what I have so let me know what you think :2thumbs:

440 30 over
TRW forged flat top pistons
steel crank
eddy RPM intake
holley 750DP ( that you suggested and I love)
hooker 1 7/8 comp headers
stock 906 heads
3" flow master exhaust with H-pipe
TCI street fighter trans
TCI breakaway converter ( TCI says stall is 2400-2600 and adv. duration of 265*-280*)
391 pos.rear
rear tires 275-60-15 BFGs ( I think they are 28" tall )
right now an mp 484 cam

In a 69 charger, the car runs pretty good after a lot of tuning but, I think it can run better and I've read that know one really likes the mp cams ( the cam was in the car when I got it ). I do want to change the heads to 440 source or eddys but that won't be till next year and maybe stroke it!!!!!! But this year just a cam change to get a little better perfomance :2thumbs:

Thanks, Alan

firefighter3931

Alan, either cam will work. The voodoo 268 grind is pretty close to the Engle K56. It's your call.  :yesnod:

Ron

Musicman

Have you considered the 60302...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Musicman on January 28, 2008, 08:30:17 PM
Have you considered the 60302...

Mike, the 302 is a little small for Alan's combo, inmo. If he was using a stock converter and 3.23 gears it would be a better choice.  :yesnod:

The 2400 stall and 3.91's allow him to step it up a notch.  ;)

Ron

Musicman

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2008, 09:01:22 PM

Mike, the 302 is a little small for Alan's combo, inmo. If he was using a stock converter and 3.23 gears it would be a better choice.  :yesnod:

The 2400 stall and 3.91's allow him to step it up a notch.  ;)

Ron

Sorry... Guess I should have read deeper into the thread... I thought he was running a stock converter.

TCI breakaway converter ( TCI says stall is 2400-2600 and adv. duration of 265*-280*)
391 pos.rear

Duh... I'll be getting reading glasses tomorrow...

Mike (my eyes are older than my car)

dads_69

Good cams, I've had two in the past in a 451 stroker motor and a 340/408 motor. I currently have a .493 cam also waiting for the next 340 I have to finish building soon. I'll be running a True roller chain w/it, Ross pistons, Scat Pack crank an rods. 10.7 to 1 comp. Heads are a toss up for the time being, I have a set of J heads built up.
Good cam choice non the less.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2008, 08:26:22 PM
Alan, either cam will work. The voodoo 268 grind is pretty close to the Engle K56. It's your call.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ron, looking at the K-56 and 60303 the K-56 has the same duration In. and Ex. and same lift .504-.504, the 60303 has .226 In-.234 Ex. @ .050 and lift .494 In.-.513 Ex. why do the voodoo cams have different In. and EX. duration and lift and what does that do, and how does it help or hurt performance :shruggy: I all so see the comp XE274H also has a split duration and lift :shruggy: Is this good, bad ???

Thanks,Alan

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on January 28, 2008, 09:35:49 PM

Ron

Ron, looking at the K-56 and 60303 the K-56 has the same duration In. and Ex. and same lift .504-.504, the 60303 has .226 In-.234 Ex. @ .050 and lift .494 In.-.513 Ex. why do the voodoo cams have different In. and EX. duration and lift and what does that do, and how does it help or hurt performance :shruggy: I all so see the comp XE274H also has a split duration and lift :shruggy: Is this good, bad ???

Thanks,Alan

The split pattern is supposed to help a bit with a stock type cylinder head because of the flow imbalance between the intake and exhaust ports. Typically BB mopar heads are comparatively weak on the exhaust so the theory is that hanging the ex valve open longer and higher (more lift) it will allow the motor to scavenge the cylinder better. It works to some degree but it's not a cure all for a weak exhaust port.

As the heads get better (aftermarket aluminum) the intake/exhaust ratio improves and therefore the split pattern becomes a non issue. The accepted standard for best performance is a 70%  I/E ratio so if you're looking to go to an aluminum head in the future the single pattern works fine.

The cam in my 446 (E-heads) is a single pattern grind and the I/E ratios are 70% across the board.

Ron

69chargerR/T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2008, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: 69chargerR/T on January 28, 2008, 09:35:49 PM

Ron

Thanks,Alan

The split pattern is supposed to help a bit with a stock type cylinder head because of the flow imbalance between the intake and exhaust ports. Typically BB mopar heads are comparatively weak on the exhaust so the theory is that hanging the ex valve open longer and higher (more lift) it will allow the motor to scavenge the cylinder better. It works to some degree but it's not a cure all for a weak exhaust port.

As the heads get better (aftermarket aluminum) the intake/exhaust ratio improves and therefore the split pattern becomes a non issue. The accepted standard for best performance is a 70%  I/E ratio so if you're looking to go to an aluminum head in the future the single pattern works fine.

The cam in my 446 (E-heads) is a single pattern grind and the I/E ratios are 70% across the board.

Ron

Ron, I am going to go with some aluminum heads next year ( 440soruce or e-heads ) so if I go with the split pattern cam like the 60303 will it hurt power :shruggy: Its hard to decide I hear good things about the Engle cams ( K-56) and the voodoo cams (60303 )  :2thumbs: It's a tough decision  :brickwall:

Thanks for your help Alan

firefighter3931

Alan, i can see you have your heart set on the voodoo cam....go ahead and use it. No problems in the future should you go to an aluminum head. An 8* split between the intake & exhaust is nothing to be concerned about. If the split was wider i would definately advise against it...with the aftermarket head.

Ron

69chargerR/T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2008, 10:58:04 PM
Alan, i can see you have your heart set on the voodoo cam....go ahead and use it. No problems in the future should you go to an aluminum head. An 8* split between the intake & exhaust is nothing to be concerned about. If the split was wider i would definately advise against it...with the aftermarket head.

Ron
[/quote

Thanks Ron, sorry for all the questions, I read on hear and other sites about guys picking the wrong cam I just want to make sure I chose the right cam  :2thumbs: And it does what I want,and is an improvement over the mp 484 cam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Alan