News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Gurus, stab at this Fen Tag??? 2.94 SG?? JIM S MADE A DECODER CHECK IT OUT..

Started by Charger Aficionado, October 06, 2005, 03:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Or does anyone have a link to a '68 decoder?   This is the only one I could find:   http://www.cynobyte.com/decoder1.html
  Why in the heck don't they put full VIN on these things?   Makes it look funny when someone is buying the car...   How come most of the time there is no VIN on the Rad Support, just some non-sensical numbers?   '69s make so much more sense...   (Sorry Troy, 8-wheeler and the rest of you '68 "Bubbas")...  

8WHEELER

Bright Blue Poly is a nice color, I don't mind the 68 tag. Your bottom Right sequential numbers on the
fender tag as you know should match the rad support and trunk lip, and if it has the original block
those numbers on the top back will match as well. They add a few letters to those places as well
in front of the numbers now those letters still have me scratching my head maybe Troy knows
that one, mine start with a BX.

I have to admit I am not a good tag reader I have a friend not far from me that does a real
good job on most all tags ''Gary'' he is nice enough to help me out, but I have used him to
much lately   ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 06, 2005, 04:03:38 AM
Bright Blue Poly is a nice color, I have to admit I am not a good tag reader I have a friend not far from me that does a real good job on most all tags ''Gary'' he is nice enough to help me out, but I have used him to
much lately  ;D
Dan
I do know what the UU1 Blue is fortunatley...  Love the color :)  Actually I like that EE1 alot better (DARK).
  I am bad on '68s especially now that I can't find a decoder...  I Love '69s...  But I'm nowhere even close to 6T9's abiltity on those, he's da' man when it comes to '69! 

MoparYoungGun

Here's the tag decoded,

XP29: Regular Charger
61: 383 2-bbl
5: 3spd Automatic
43: 7.75x14 White Side Wall Tires
229: Built February 29th, 1968
106759: Vehicle Shipping Number

25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Moulding
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

A2: 2.94 Axle Ratio
A8: Sure Grip Rear

TC: Charger Interior Trim
R6: Vinyl Bucket Seats
MB: Light Blue

PU: Light Blue Metallic Roof
NU: Light Blue Metallic Body
T1: One Color

UU: Light Blue Metallic Upper Door Frame Color
There is no stripe

A1: 26" Radiator
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioner
X1: All Glass Is Tinted
Y7: White Vinyl Top

B4: Bucket Seats

Kinda odd that this was equipped with a 2.94 Sure Grip, I've never seen that before. Hope I have been of some help!

694spdRT

It is a leap year Charger...that is something you don't see everyday.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Khyron

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 06, 2005, 08:41:16 AM

whoohooo the car is only 9 years old :thumbs:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 06, 2005, 08:41:16 AM
Wow, I have NEVER had one.   Matter of fact, never seen one...   Have you???

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on October 06, 2005, 06:19:50 AM
A2: 2.94 Axle Ratio
A8: Sure Grip Rear
Kinda odd that this was equipped with a 2.94 Sure Grip, I've never seen that before. Hope I have been of some help!
  Some help?   ALOT of help man!   Thank You!       :cheers:

At least it has a Sure Grip (the infamous "Rear Possie" lol)...   That is unusual...
Then the Leap year thing...   Wow, I've never seen that before.   9 yr. old Charger funny Khyron!    :lol: :hah: Well instead of getting it a cupcake you would have to DO IT IN BIG FASHION since your car's birthday is only once in awhile! :) (That still cracks me up)...     :haha:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

8WHEELER

I bought a car 20 some years ago that was all the stock drive train in a 68 charger 318 car, started
taking it apart saw the suregrip tag and looked closer and it was a 294 as well, no not very common
at all, still have it and its a great freeway gear and still has a suregrip      :thumbs:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Charger Aficionado

Khyron

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 06, 2005, 12:59:14 PM

Then the Leap year thing...   Wow, I've never seen that before.   9 yr. old Charger funny Khyron!    :lol: :hah: Well instead of getting it a cupcake you would have to DO IT IN BIG FASHION since your car's birthday is only once in awhile! :) (That still cracks me up)...     :haha:

That would have to be a carvel ice cream cake with a stenciled Charger on it :lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Dennis K

Depending on where in the country you live, sure grip rear ends are fairly common in the low-performance cars. Salesmen in the snow belt talked a lot of people into getting them to lessen their chances of getting stuck in the snow. I have found a lot of 2.76 geared sea bodies with sure grip rears. Most of them were 383 2v cars. I wish I would have bought them all, but I didn't.

MoparYoungGun

mopar_madman

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 06, 2005, 04:49:59 AM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 06, 2005, 04:03:38 AM
Bright Blue Poly is a nice color, I have to admit I am not a good tag reader I have a friend not far from me that does a real good job on most all tags ''Gary'' he is nice enough to help me out, but I have used him to
much lately   ;D
Dan
  I do know what the UU1 Blue is fortunatley...   Love the color :)   Actually I like that EE1 alot better (DARK).
  I am bad on '68s especially now that I can't find a decoder...   I Love '69s...   But I'm nowhere even close to 6T9's abiltity on those, he's da' man when it comes to '69!  

:iagree: My 68 RR original color is UU1, one of the selling points when I bought it. light blue with white vinyl top and white int.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

cudaken

My Charger came with 2.76 sure gripp as well. Found it in MO, or what should I say what mother natuer left of her! ;D

Cuda Ken
I am back

JimShine

Kind of related to the topic. I tried to whip up a simpler tag decoder. I used basic info to get it started and will add to each field as I get info. Please give me some feedback as to its ease of use and if I have any incomplete or inaccurate info.

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/68registry/tag%20info/68tagdecode.htm