News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine break in opinions?

Started by 1BAD68, January 26, 2008, 10:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I just installed my stroker and plan on firing it up tomorrow. I was wondering what you guys recommend for a engine break in procedure?
I re-used my cam so I wont need to do a cam break in.
New pistons, rings, crank, bearings and cylinders honed.

deputycrawford

A twenty minute break in has to do more good than just a cam and lifter set up. I would break it in as a new engine and leave it at that. Why change something that works.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

chargerman68

not too get off topic was it hard to put together and any prices

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

1BAD68

No it wasn't hard to do, I have approximately $1500.00 in it.

chargerman68

sweet going that way on a new project...
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Tilar

After I did my rebuilds I would take them out and run them from stop to 30, then stop to 50 and then stop to around 80. Then I would tell people to just drive them like they planned on driving it, but dont really push it hard or long for the first 500 miles.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

firefighter3931

I would still give it a 15-20 minute breakin at 2000 rpm and blip the throttle every minute or so. Take it out for a drive and vary the speed to help seat the rings. After 500 miles change the oil/filter and let her rip !  :icon_smile_big:

Use good oil and some EOS for cam/lifter protection.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1BAD68

I cant take it out due to snow and salt everywhere.
Is there anyway I can put a load on it to help seat the rings without driving it?

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1BAD68 on January 27, 2008, 12:24:47 PM
I cant take it out due to snow and salt everywhere.
Is there anyway I can put a load on it to help seat the rings without driving it?

Chassis dyno !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1BAD68

I finally got to fire it up yesterday.
I was surprised that after filling the carb with gas it fired up on the second turn of the key!
Oil pressure went right to 60 psi and I quickly set the timing and ran it at 2000 rpm for about a half hour blipping the throttle here and there.
I had a header leak so after I shut it down I went to pull the header to check the gasket and when I pulled the front bolt, antifreeze came gushing out (I thought that was a big block thing only)
So now I have about a gallon of Prestone on the garage floor. Other than that, I dont have any leaks yet.
Then I fired it up again and put it in neutral and topped off the tranny, shifted through the gears to make sure I didnt screw it up when I installed the shift kit and everything seems fine.
Obviously I cant tell how the performance will be until I take it out on the streets but one big difference is that the rpm's come up fast when I tap on the gas, real fast.
so far so good
:2thumbs:

The70RT

Quote from: 1BAD68 on January 29, 2008, 10:21:25 AM
I finally got to fire it up yesterday.
I was surprised that after filling the carb with gas it fired up on the second turn of the key!
Oil pressure went right to 60 psi and I quickly set the timing and ran it at 2000 rpm for about a half hour blipping the throttle here and there.
I had a header leak so after I shut it down I went to pull the header to check the gasket and when I pulled the front bolt, antifreeze came gushing out (I thought that was a big block thing only)
So now I have about a gallon of Prestone on the garage floor. Other than that, I dont have any leaks yet.
Then I fired it up again and put it in neutral and topped off the tranny, shifted through the gears to make sure I didnt screw it up when I installed the shift kit and everything seems fine.
Obviously I cant tell how the performance will be until I take it out on the streets but one big difference is that the rpm's come up fast when I tap on the gas, real fast.
so far so good
:2thumbs:

Cool. Looks like you did a good job  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

firefighter3931

Nice work onebad ! Hopefully spring comes soon enough for ya !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

4aThrill

Hey 1BAD68,

I was just wondering if you put in new lifters even if you did reuse the cam? because if you don't put in new lifters or put the old ones back in without marking them where they came from then they could wash out the cam, it is a chance, but since you did put all that money into it you probably put new ones in. but just making sure.  :cheers:

1BAD68

no, I reused the old lifters but everything was marked and installed back where they were originally except for the push rods, they somehow got all mixed up.

4aThrill

well the pushrods are alright, glad to here that you did mark the old lifters though   :2thumbs: