News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Balance and blueprint an engine

Started by 68RT4ME, January 25, 2008, 11:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT4ME

Guy's I've said here before that I'm not mechanic. I can only handle simple maint jobs on my car, IE, oil changes, plugs etc. The engine builder I'm using for my '69's 440 said to me today that he thought it would be a good idea to go with a balancing and blueprinting of my engine. I guess, I felt too embarrassed  :blush2: about not really knowing what he meant though I have some idea as to what it is so I said I would think about it over the weekend and get back to him.

Could someone here give my a crash course on this? Explain what it is. The advantages to having it done. The dis-advantages too. The engine is going to be nearly stock. The cranks been turned 0.10, The engine is bored .30. Changing the pistons to forged from cast. Keeping the rods it came with. Cam will be the MP .484 purple shaft due to power brakes. Not sure on the carb but leaning toward a Holley 750 dual feed with Vac secondaries on the stock intake and heads. Stock exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch TTI exhaust. Electronic ignition Not building a race engine but, I wouldn't mind either if it was putting out a little more HP than stock. Not sure what this combo would make but, I'm guessing a tad more than a stock 440?

Anyway, please educate me on this question so I know what to tell him. Thanks for any help.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

FLG

firefighter3931

I would seriously rethink your cam selection.  :scratchchin:

The MP cams are not very street friendly...especially if you want to run power brakes.  :P

Ron

Ps. Balancing and setting the tolerances to exact specifications is a worthwhile procedure. The engine will idle and run smoother while making more power.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68RT4ME

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 25, 2008, 11:32:41 PM

The MP cams are not very street friendly...especially if you want to run power brakes.  :P

Ron

Ps. Balancing and setting the tolerances to exact specifications is a worthwhile procedure. The engine will idle and run smoother while making more power.  :2thumbs:

Hey Firefighter3931, thanks for your reply.  Based on the readings in some of your other postings in the forum, I value your judgement and so, would you recommend a cam package for me based on what I posted earlier for my setup?
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

68RT4ME

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 27, 2008, 01:33:38 PM

Ron

Hey Firefighter3931, thanks for your reply.  Based on the readings in some of your other postings in the forum, I value your judgement and so, would you recommend a cam package for me based on what I posted earlier for my setup?

The Engle k56 hydraulic grind would be an excellent match for your proposed engine build. Excellent idle, lots of vacuum (power brakes) and easy to tune. The Comp Cams #911 valve springs work great with the K56 and will fit your cylinder head with no extra machining.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68RT4ME

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 27, 2008, 08:09:22 PM

Ron

The Engle k56 hydraulic grind would be an excellent match for your proposed engine build. Excellent idle, lots of vacuum (power brakes) and easy to tune. The Comp Cams #911 valve springs work great with the K56 and will fit your cylinder head with no extra machining.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Thanks Ron, I will discuss this with the builder in the morning.

Andy

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 27, 2008, 09:07:29 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 27, 2008, 08:09:22 PM

Ron

Ron

Thanks Ron, I will discuss this with the builder in the morning.

Andy

You're welcome Andy....whatever you do, don't let him talk you into the MP 484 cam ! There are several members here who have made the switch from the 484 to an Engle grind with stellar results.  :2thumbs:

Just do a search and you should find some posts on that exact topic.  ;)

Ron

68RT4ME

Hey Ron,

Pardon my ignorance here. My car is a 4spd. To be sure, that doesn't matter right? I'll be ordering the K56 and springs today. Again, thanks for your help.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 28, 2008, 10:15:05 AM
Hey Ron,

Pardon my ignorance here. My car is a 4spd. To be sure, that doesn't matter right? I'll be ordering the K56 and springs today. Again, thanks for your help.

Nope, no difference at all....other than you have an "adjustable" stall speed !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

68RT4ME

Ok, I was on the phone with Doug the shop manager. He was very patient with me...lol. Anyway, I told him about our conversation. He did indeed feel that it was the right cam to go with. He feels about it as you do Ron. Bottom line, I ordered the cam the lifters and the matching springs. I figured I might as well get the whole package from them.

My engine builder didn't seem too enthusiastic about this cam set. He thought it was too small and won't be much on performance. I held my ground though...lol. He seems to feel that I won't be happy and will want him to change it eventually. Time will tell but, the way everyone here seems to rave about Engle cams, I know it's the right choice. BTW, Doug at Engle was happy to hear that we are such big fans of the shop.... ;)

Steve P.

Have you ever seen a cell phone vibrating across a table? That is out of proportion, but is just what a NON-BALANCED motor will do.   ALLLLLLLLWAYS BALANCE.  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 28, 2008, 04:01:04 PM
Ok, I was on the phone with Doug the shop manager. He was very patient with me...lol. Anyway, I told him about our conversation. He did indeed feel that it was the right cam to go with. He feels about it as you do Ron. Bottom line, I ordered the cam the lifters and the matching springs. I figured I might as well get the whole package from them.

My engine builder didn't seem too enthusiastic about this cam set. He thought it was too small and won't be much on performance. I held my ground though...lol. He seems to feel that I won't be happy and will want him to change it eventually. Time will tell but, the way everyone here seems to rave about Engle cams, I know it's the right choice. BTW, Doug at Engle was happy to hear that we are such big fans of the shop.... ;)

Andy, i want you to take the engine builder for a ride in your car once the engine is broken in and properly tuned.  :D When you stab the gas and light up the back tires he'll change his tune !  ;)

The Engle cam could be best described as a wolf in sheeps clothing....it sounds mellow until you drop the hammer !  :devil:

Ron

68RT4ME

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2008, 08:52:05 PM
Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 28, 2008, 04:01:04 PM

Andy, i want you to take the engine builder for a ride in your car once the engine is broken in and properly tuned.  :D When you stab the gas and light up the back tires he'll change his tune !  ;)

The Engle cam could be best described as a wolf in sheeps clothing....it sounds mellow until you drop the hammer !  :devil:

Ron

I will do just that. Thanks in advance for your time and help Ron. The engine will be done and ready for install long before the car comes from paint n body but, I will remember for sure. Steve, It will be balanced for sure too. Thanks.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 28, 2008, 10:39:17 PM

I will do just that. Thanks in advance for your time and help Ron. The engine will be done and ready for install long before the car comes from paint n body but, I will remember for sure. Steve, It will be balanced for sure too. Thanks.

:2thumbs:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida