News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flowmaster mufflers....which ones ?

Started by 71 Bee Man, January 20, 2008, 01:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

whilst visiting the beautiful U.S of A last year I couldn't help but noticed that a couple of fellow 71 Superbee owners had cars whose exhaust sounded nothing short of fantastic.

My question is - should I get Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers or Super 44 Series which they are currently touting as the best sounding muffler at the moment.

I was that nice V8 rumble from my car - 71 Bee with a 383 and standard manifolds.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks, :2thumbs:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

aifilaw

You would probably be happier with the flowmaster 40 series, as that is what you will hear most of.
Those with bigger cubes, if your looking for an amazing rumble sound, put the 60-series on, they aren't meant for the application at all, but with 400+" you can't beat the sound, especially with a stroker

The trouble is, during my younger days, that was great... but after 3-4 1,000+ mile road trips... that drone of the pipes got really old, and my hearing actually lost 2-3dB
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Mike DC

For reference, Flowmaster's "chambers" are quieting methods.  Fewer chambers = louder. 

That confuses people sometimes. 

justin1987

I have the Flowmaster 40s on my Torino and I have the Flowmaster Super 44s on my 69 Charger.

I prefer the 44 series over the 40 series.

firefighter3931

Put a real performance muffler on that Bee.....Dynomax Ultraflows.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

aifilaw

My next set of mufflers will have a much different requirement than I used to buy. I want something with the most performance, and the least noise above idle.
Unfortunately, both dynomax and borla's attempt to meet performance, and some products are limited volume at higher RPM's...unfortunately both of them make whatever they are attached too sound like garbage
but that's an opinion of course.

mikesbbody

the flowmaster debate continues...like ron said a free flowing muffler is better but if your after that "sound" then flowmasters (series 40) are what you want. It comes down to what you like alot of guys here dont like them I dont mind them but would be open to try something else next time.  :Twocents:

68RT4ME

Hey there Pete, If you remember my car's sound, I run the 50 series on it. The tone inside the car is not so load as to blow you out while on long runs and I've driven the car hundreds of mile at a time. At the same time, it make plenty of noise when you jump on it so I feel you get the best of both worlds.

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

firefighter3931

Quote from: aifilaw on January 20, 2008, 03:21:00 PM
My next set of mufflers will have a much different requirement than I used to buy. I want something with the most performance, and the least noise above idle.

That would be the Ultraflow  ;)

Unfortunately, both dynomax and borla's attempt to meet performance, and some products are limited volume at higher RPM's...unfortunately both of them make whatever they are attached too sound like garbage

Well, if this car sounds too loud at idle ; you need to be driving a Toyota....and if you feel they sound like garbage at WOT ; then musclecars really aren't for you.  :D

This is a buddy's 10 second street/strip pump gas GTX. Oh ya, it has a set of E-Heads on it and no it is not a stroker....it's a 446 ! Best ET to date is 10.6X  :2thumbs: Those times are through a full exhaust system with an X-pipe and the Dynomax Ultraflows  :cheers:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=1253044-Fran1.flv

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=1253045-Fran2.flv

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=2527498-1182698-Fran.flv

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Joshua

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on January 20, 2008, 01:47:40 AM

What are your thoughts ?

My thoughts??? FM's sound gay on stock engine's with manifolds......for a nice, mellow tone, go with a Turbo muffler, Super Turbo, something like that.....but not a chambered muff...
Do a search here....a few threads on Flowmasters have video clips of guys with FM's, and IMHO, most sound kinda crappy, maybe it's the video's sound quality.
Also, remember the position of the muffler and the length of the pipes before AND aft can change the sound of any given muffler....

Might be best to talk with someone IN PERSON if you like what ya hear,,,,in person :2thumbs:....

aifilaw

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 22, 2008, 12:46:02 PM

Well, if this car sounds too loud at idle ; you need to be driving a Toyota....and if you feel they sound like garbage at WOT ; then musclecars really aren't for you.  :D

This is a buddy's 10 second street/strip pump gas GTX. Oh ya, it has a set of E-Heads on it and no it is not a stroker....it's a 446 ! Best ET to date is 10.6X  :2thumbs: Those times are through a full exhaust system with an X-pipe and the Dynomax Ultraflows  :cheers:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=1253044-Fran1.flv

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=1253045-Fran2.flv

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/firefighter3931/?action=view&current=2527498-1182698-Fran.flv

Ron

It seems a bit loud for what I'd be after at WOT, can't hear the idle due to camera position.
You have to remember I've lived through 4 years of daily driving a 426 inch stroker with straight 4" iron pipes off of headers to wallowed out 60 series flowmasters which were dumped at the rear axle under the vehicle. As much as I loved it... I don't think I want to take road trips in it. And my camaro with a 40 series dumped in the stock location is a bit much for the wife's eardrums on the roadtrips as well.

You would think with all the times of running straight headers with side-dumps and running at the dragstrip my hearing would be completely destroyed, it tests at 10dB unfortunately :)

firefighter3931

Quote from: aifilaw on January 22, 2008, 07:23:41 PM

It seems a bit loud for what I'd be after at WOT, can't hear the idle due to camera position.
You have to remember I've lived through 4 years of daily driving a 426 inch stroker with straight 4" iron pipes off of headers to wallowed out 60 series flowmasters which were dumped at the rear axle under the vehicle. As much as I loved it... I don't think I want to take road trips in it. And my camaro with a 40 series dumped in the stock location is a bit much for the wife's eardrums on the roadtrips as well.

You would think with all the times of running straight headers with side-dumps and running at the dragstrip my hearing would be completely destroyed, it tests at 10dB unfortunately :)

Actually, they're not too bad at WOT from inside the car. At idle and cruise from inside the car they don't sound loud either and the typical flowmaster drone :no: is not there at cruise speeds. I hear ya on the flowmasters....they become very annoying in short order.  :P They also flow like crapola and hurt performance  :brickwall:

I was just bustin on ya with the Toyota comment...i know you're a hotrodder at heart.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

FLG

I havent tried the Dynomax Ultraflows yet, but the kid who had my 73 last put flowmaster 40's on it, its tolerable but if your cruising on the highway and you sit at that "right" rpm...the resonance from the flomasters makes you want to shoot yourself after awhile. They sound nice outside the car, but there just annoying if your sitting in it. And if you dig around on the forum, Ron has been preaching about the ultraflows for awhile now. From the videos ive seen, im actually debating on purchasing a pair from summit.

bordin34

I would not get flowmasters I am 15 and the drone is just killing me. It does sound good at WOT though. It is a 400 with a 4bbl, mild cam, headers, 2.5" h-pipe, 40 series, hooker 3" resonator tips.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

chargerman68

i liked the flowmaster delta flow 3" mufflers :cheers:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

70_charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 22, 2008, 12:46:02 PM

Ron
Gimme a hell ya I like those !!!!! Do you think 3 1/2 all the way out is to much for a 505ci ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70_charger on January 24, 2008, 08:56:23 AM
Gimme a hell ya I like those !!!!! Do you think 3 1/2 all the way out is to much for a 505ci ?

Ya like those huh ?  :icon_smile_big:

On a 500 incher a full 3in exhaust sytem is plenty and i would use an x-pipe for sure.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Mike DC

Muffler discussions are like discussions of a car's wheel/tire stance:  At a glance it would seem like something that we could easily draw some consensus on.  But once the discussion starts, it becomes clear that everyone has their own opinion about what's "best." 

FLG

I'll take a video of my flowmasters...the one benefit i know they have is if your in the car with your girlfriend they make hearing each other quite hard..so ya dont gotta talk to her but then ya might get  :slap: 

Def gonna have to try those ultraflows though

70_charger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 24, 2008, 12:00:27 PM

Muffler discussions are like discussions of a car's wheel/tire stance:  At a glance it would seem like something that we could easily draw some consensus on.  But once the discussion starts, it becomes clear that everyone has their own opinion about what's "best." 

agreed !!!!!IVE GOT Borla on my other car,some say it sounds EURO I tell em they are full of it .Its a preference on what you think sounds good to you,I like FM 3 chambers to.

gordo1968charger

i had flowmaster delta force mufflers on mine,i had to get higher amp speakers to listen to the stereo.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

charger freak2

super 44's are no doubt the best sounding muffler, I've had 40 series, dynomax, glasspacks no comparison...........

wizkid

i had a 40 series on my truck, it sounded great, im not sure how much better a super 44 would sound but my recommendation is the 40 series due to me owning one  ;) flowmaster mufflers rock btw

charger freak2