News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW HEMI 5.7 , 345 hp , REAR WHEEL HP ????????

Started by daytonalo, January 17, 2008, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Troy on January 25, 2008, 06:31:33 PM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 25, 2008, 04:51:55 PM
IIRC, MDS can be eliminated by changing the cam/lifter & plugs for the heads.
http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=563&cat=204&page=1
Yeah, I said that already... :D

Oops... I'm slow.  :shortbus:
Yeah, for some reason the 5.7L takes to mods a bit better than the 6.1L. The aftermarket is drawn to the 5.7L due to its production #'s.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

694spdRT

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the MDS as well so people should keep that in mind when shopping for an engine.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

daytonalo

I'm lost 242 on stock and 491 on modified  ?

70_charger

Quote from: Troy on January 25, 2008, 12:30:59 PM
Heavier oil throws trouble codes in the computer. It will disable the MDS but does it by actually "gumming up" the works so I don't consider that a viable solution. The throttle lag is programmed into the firmware and not entirely due to the design of the throttle. It's a torque reduction algorithm in the computer (see above). Both can be worked around by reprogramming.

The Daytona engine is the same as an R/T correct?

Troy

Yea,but its a more opened up exhaust giving that 10 xtra hp . I went with header,cat back , ramair,sold my superchips ,and all synth.

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on January 25, 2008, 07:51:35 PM
I'm lost 242 on stock and 491 on modified  ?
Read the whole thing - one was a chassis dyno and the other was an engine dyno. Of course, the car on the chassis dyno was a Magnum and not a Daytona clone with a 4-speed and the one on the engine dyno wasn't stock either. I was just trying to find real world numbers instead of guesses.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 24, 2008, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 24, 2008, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 22, 2008, 12:34:52 PM
The MDS thing is computer controlled as it comes from the factory, but it still basically uses engine oil pressure to deactivate the valve lifters.  Seems like that's mechanical enough to be re-rigged even if you ditched the factory electronics on the motor overall.    That's why I made the "toggle switch" comment. 

Right, that valve I mentioned is for the oil pressure. I'm not so sure a simple toggle switch would do it though as I believe the computer also shuts off the fuel injectors and spark to those cylinders. I haven't studied it that much yet so I could very well be wrong. I think the fact that I'm putting it in a car that weighs 1,000-2,000 pounds less should probably make a huge improvement in mileage even without the MDS. I wish I could find a way to fit the 5-speed automatic OD in there without cutting away most of the floor but those things are MASSIVE! That's my big issue with keeping the factory computer as I know the older 5.9 would go into "limp home mode" or some other nonsense when the signal from the transmission wasn't there.

Troy

Troy

I thought I read somewhere that the automatic transmission from a 300 or Charger was more compact than the truck version. Which do you have?
I haven't found the answer to this yet but I thought they were the same.

Troy

Mike DC

I don't even like having 5 or 6 gears.  I'd rather have 4 in a musclecar, including the OD.  With modern zillion-speed trannys it seems like the car spends more time shifting than revving.  Give me a car with driving characteristics I like better and they can keep their 2/10ths of a second.     

The GM 4L60E tranny swap still sounds like the best idea to me for modern overdrive automatics in Mopars.  No cutting the car, it can be built up fairly strong, modern gear ratios/spacing, a tall overdrive gear, and a lockup converter. 

If Keisler won't do the job right then someone else will eventually.  You can get the basic Mopar-to-GM adapter plate for the bellhousing from more than one source. 

Troy

Ooooh, look what I found!

October 2005 Hot Rod magazine (click on the pics to see the full size images):
http://www.thehemi.com/57L/article_camswap.php

Adding a set of TTi headers got them to 393 HP and 390 ft/lbs. Some tuning with the computer broke 400 HP. Adding a cam bumped it to 482 HP with 416 ft/lbs of torque. They were spinning this thing (mostly stock) at 6,700 RPM too!

That was in 2005 when they had to scratch build nearly everything. These days, FAST has a complete, tunable, plug-in computer and wiring harness set up. Several places are making cams to take advantage of additional computer tweaks.

Troy

Troy

I found more stuff but you have to read the whole thing!
http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php?topic=24533.0

He mentions 12-14% loss through the power train (using the "old" stuff). There's also some good information about the differences between the 5.7 and 6.1 and why the 5.7 might be better for the swap. It also covers electronics and, yes, even power output! It seems that 400 HP (engine - not wheels) out of a stock engine with headers is pretty common while a "fairly mild" stroker can get 500 HP to the rear wheels with approximately equal torque. He also mentions 16-18 mpg (for the 425-430 HP setup using a carburetor). The Hemi is also 35 pounds lighter than a 318.

That thread also has the answer on the truck vs LX transmission question.

Troy

694spdRT

With regard to the tranny question I asked. It was at the Street and Performance Website http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ where they listed some different trans measurements. They list a 5.7 engine and trans measurement and then a 300C engine and trans measurement. The 300C trans is shorter than the other tranny which may not even be a truck version.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi