News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Red Book anomaly? '68 Charger R/T w/exposed headlights?

Started by Dans 68, January 16, 2008, 11:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

On page 155 (see attached photo) of the Dodge & Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book, 2nd Ed., by Peter C. Sessler, it states that, referring to the 1968 model Chargers, and I quote,

After June 1, 1968, all Charger R/T models ordered with the
Hemi engine and four-speed combination were built with exposed
headlights, flush grille and chrome windshield reveal molding.

:o  Perhaps I missed something with the late year builds of the 68's. Or maybe it was a mistaken paragraph and should have been located in the '69 model Charger section.   :shruggy:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BRS

I've been around Mopars for a long time. In '69 three Charger body styles were introduced, primarily due to NASCAR and the problem they were having with down force. Or course the standard split grill Charger with the recessed rear window, then in mid year the 500 with the exposed headlights, flush grill and flat rear glass, and of course the Daytona Charger. I never heard of a mid year 68 with exposed head lights and flush grill but who knows. Mopar did some strange things to win races.

bull

They are describing a '69 Charger 500. It's probably something that made print but was never a reality if they're talking about something else.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on January 17, 2008, 12:07:26 AM
They are describing a '69 Charger 500. It's probably something that made print but was never a reality if they're talking about something else.

:iagree:

There are numerous 'inaccuracies' in the red book.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dans 68

Bull,

I did take that into account but no mention was made of the flush back window. And specifically hemi's with 4-speeds? They were probably talking about something else. Were there any 1968 Hemi 4-speeds made after June 1, 1968??

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: 73SEDan400 on January 17, 2008, 12:17:21 AM

Bull,

I did take that into account but no mention was made of the flush back window. And specifically hemi's with 4-speeds? They were probably talking about something else. Were there any 1968 Hemi 4-speeds made after June 1, 1968??

Dan

Possibly, but June is getting pretty close to the end of the '68 model year anyway. I couldn't tell you when the last '68 was made but I'm betting they were already gearing up for the '69 model by summer. Chrysler already knew about the airflow problems with the NASCAR Chargers by then and may have been planning this as a fix by the middle of '68. My guess is they scuttled these plans for the '68 since it was so late and then took them up again with the '69 500. That being said there were some pictures floating around of a '68 with a '69 500 grill and IIRC, no flush rear window. Maybe one of the picture collectors here has one they can post.

Ghoste

Another case of somebody writing a book for the sake of cashing in and then handing it off to an editor who knows even less about the subject than they do.  Sadly too many Mopar books are like that and at one time, we had to settle for that.  It's slowly changing but there is a lot of bad information in print that is now often accepted as fact.

XS29J8

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 17, 2008, 12:17:21 AM

Bull,

Dan

I must chime in here as I own one of the last 68 HEMI Charger 4spds built. May 28 1968 is her birthday. The original owner tried to order a HEMI 4spd Charger in June of 68 and  was told he would have to wait for a 69. He then searched for a 68 and found this one in July of 68. I am the second owner.

I have read documents from Chrysler stating the cut off date for the 68 HEMI 4spd Charger would be June 1st.

There is at least one 68 Charger 500 (with flush back window) originally owned by Jon Weible a former Chelsea Employee from the late 60's early 70's and the car is now owned by Jerry Service who puchased it from Jon in Michigan in the early 70's.

It was originally a Burgundy color with pearl upholstery and Dodge Main had it painted Orange to take better photographs after an unproven original orange pilot car was destroyed or stolen. I have tried to find documentation of any other 68 Charger 500s having been built but the closest I have found is a white or light blue one that was destroyed in testing at the Chelsea proving grounds. Once again All this is speculative based on conversations with MOPAR fanatics over the years and several Wing Car members will say this is all bologna but a few are open minded and will not totally dismiss this as anything could have happened in testing these cars. 

Conversations such as this are sometimes what it takes for more evidence to surface and it can educate a few who were unaware of some of the facts.

I will always say "never say never with Mother Mopar".

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0