News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To Clone This Satellite or Not To Clone?

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, January 16, 2008, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

OK,
  I have not been able to find any trades (71-72 Charger 0r 73-74 SE Charger) so I was going to clone this Satellite of mine into a RR. It is all original except for one repaint in 85', The jams and under the deck lid and hood are original paint.
I have the RR hood and already molested the deck lid with a Go-Wing, & added slotted tips.
I know that 74' Satellites are not desireable but I always did want a 73-74 RR.
Clone or not to clone any input is needed. :icon_smile_question:
I was going to try to sell as is to find another Charger but..... :shruggy:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Chatt69chgr

I say clone the RR.  My personal taste would be to go with a different exterior color and get rid of the green interior.  I really don't think most folks would pay much attention to the car in it's current state.  Now if that was a rare R/T or Hemi or something, I would say leave it alone.

BMOTOXSTAR

I like the green, if I clone I was going to go green, Kermit would be proud of me. ;D
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Shakey

Charger1973

Clone it.  Its super nice but obviously you want something different.  Why give up a nice car like that?  Make it what you want and then you win both ways.  Either that or give it to me, I would drive the hell out of a car like that.   :icon_smile_cool:

69bronzeT5

I agree with everyone. CLONE IT! Maybe black with black interior..or blue with black or white interior :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger1973

You guys are nuts.  That interior is way too nice to replace or dye.  Get some buckets and one of those new dash pads and it'll look like a new car inside. 

69bronzeT5

Well, what other colour would go with green? :shruggy:

Charger1973

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 16, 2008, 09:40:42 PM
Well, what other colour would go with green? :shruggy:

He already said he likes it green.   ;)   Oh one other thing I would do is add Rallye gauges...  I cant stand that steering wheel either but I know thats just a 74 thing. 

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks for the input, that steering wheel is queer. I guess a Grant Tuffy would be nice. Yeah, buckets would be nice in there. :icon_smile_wink:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

69bronzeT5

Green with green interior...and a black stripe. That would look cool :yesnod:

BMOTOXSTAR

15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

69bronzeT5

supserdave

I'd leave it green, add a runner hood, and ditch those god awful ugly body side moldings :eek2: Rallye guages would be a nice touch to.

Or leave it as is, add a stroker and make it into a sleeper? Grandma would be proud! :2thumbs:

NMike

sorry but that car is too ugly to be left alone. lose the green, and clone.

Fitz73Chrgr

Sell it and get another Charger. 

If you do clone it, I'm with these guys.  Keep it green on green. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

TUFCAT

If it was mine ...... you guys would be looking at a Roadrunner!

Nacho-RT74

between that and a RR... you will be on the same, not desireable.

I say sell and buy the one you want.

so

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 16, 2008, 10:59:31 PM
Sell it and get another Charger. 

If you do clone it, I'm with these guys.  Keep it green on green. 
:iagree:

but if you clone and think on sale later think you will be spending money will never come back
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dads_69

I say keep it like it is, if you decide to sell it, I would guess it would be worth more in its present condition that cloning it into a '74 thunder chicken. Maybe turning 40 has made me start to like green cars for what they are now compared to before. My car I have now is sassy grass green w/green int. even though I'm changing the interior to white, but I'm only doing that to piss my wife off cause she wanted black interior!
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

TheGhost

Why do you have to clone it?  Why not keep it a Satellite, but drop in a more powerful engine, and add the nostrel hood?  Too many people seem to think they need all the badges if they want a bigger engine, which I find to be rather stupid.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

C_stripes

Is it just me, Or in the top pic does it look like the go-wing is mounted backwards???

Also.  RR clone it!    I think you should put red stripes on it with that mint green.     YAH........ :nana: :puke:
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: C_stripes on January 17, 2008, 01:18:11 AM
Is it just me, Or in the top pic does it look like the go-wing is mounted backwards???

Also.  RR clone it!    I think you should put red stripes on it with that mint green.     YAH........ :nana: :puke:

It does look backwards.  :scratchchin:
Optical illusion or maybe the Green Gremlins were messing with me again..... :scratchchin:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Joshua

I can't beleive how many people here are in FAVOR of cloning these days........ :scratchchin:
A clone is an EXACT copy......tribute may be a better term.....which also leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....but then again, being a true Mopar FAN, I dig Satellites, Coronets, Barracudas, etc, for what they are, not what they COULD be.......
A freind has a '73 Satellite that same color combo, only it's got a factory 400 and pistol grip 4-speed.....much rarer than a RR and cool as hell.

I think repainting your car a high impact color with the RR hood, but no "MISREPRESENTATION" decals or emblems.....keeping it a Satellite...add a big block, some cool wheels......done.

41husk

I was not a fan of green until I cloned my 73 Charger sublime, it has grown on me since.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TUFCAT

Quote from: Joshua on January 17, 2008, 12:24:36 PM

I think repainting your car a high impact color with the RR hood, but no "MISREPRESENTATION" decals or emblems.....keeping it a Satellite...add a big block, some cool wheels......done.

I disagree  :scratchchin: ....once you've made that decision to mess with a cars originality   - then go all the way with it.  In my humble opinion, there's nothing worse than a half-assed clone.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

TeeWJay426

Guess I'm in the minority, but I think think it's a beauty as is.... green and all. I'd drop a 440 in it, buckets seats, a rallye cluster, and have a blast driving the s**t out of it..... :drive:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Joshua

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 17, 2008, 12:35:47 PM
I disagree  :scratchchin: ....once you've made that decision to mess with a cars originality   - then go all the way with it.  In my humble opinion, there's nothing worse than a half-assed clone.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

You're kiddin' right??? The color of paint does not make a "half-ass" clone......neither does the hood....I believe the 'power bulge" hood was an option, it just happens to be STANDARD on a RR. Same as with hoods for Challengers, Cuda's, etc.....you could get them on standard models....
Go all the way???? Why?
My uncle has a '67 Sport Satellite, really nice. A guy gave him a GTX hood, so he installed it and then painted the car bright orange with a silver along the bottom. That color was never offered in '67 and it looks awesome......it's nice to see original cars being MESSED with... :icon_smile_big:

99.99999999% of ALL clones are half-assed.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Joshua on January 17, 2008, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on January 17, 2008, 12:35:47 PM

You're kiddin' right??? The color of paint does not make a "half-ass" clone......neither does the hood....I believe the 'power bulge" hood was an option, it just happens to be STANDARD on a RR. Same as with hoods for Challengers, Cuda's, etc.....you could get them on standard models....
Go all the way???? Why?
My uncle has a '67 Sport Satellite, really nice. A guy gave him a GTX hood, so he installed it and then painted the car bright orange with a silver along the bottom. That color was never offered in '67 and it looks awesome......it's nice to see original cars being MESSED with... :icon_smile_big:

99.99999999% of ALL clones are half-assed.

Sorry Joshua  ...I really didn't mean to offend you or anyone else..... (that's why it's my "humble" opinion).  Remember, ..... I'm just an old, overweight, lethargic house-cat  - - who doesn't get let out very much :icon_smile_wink:.  What do I know?  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   Look at my face.... (and those sad eyes) - -  I'm just pathetic!  :icon_smile_big:   

tkkruzer

IMHO. the whole point of owning an old car,muscle car or otherwise is to enjoy it, after all there aren't many out there anyway. that being said, if you intend to keep the car until it rots into oblivian then do what ever you want too with it as long as you are happy, but if you intend to sell it some day, keep it original. maybe easier to sell that way. I must say though, that being all original does not allways mean more value, case and point, my sons 66 ford mustang, its a 6 cyl car and B/J auctioned one off for 8 grand, but if I put a V8 in it, well they sold one for around 25 grand. now that wasn't an original V8 car either. its all about what people like to drive. I say make it what you want to drive then DRIVE it  :2thumbs: have fun all,,,Tom  :coolgleamA:

Joshua

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 17, 2008, 01:39:33 PM
Sorry Joshua  ...I really didn't mean to offend you or anyone else..... (that's why it's my "humble" opinion).  Remember, ..... I'm just an old, overweight, lethargic house-cat  - - who doesn't get let out very much :icon_smile_wink:.  What do I know?  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   Look at my face.... (and those sad eyes) - -  I'm just pathetic!  :icon_smile_big:   

Ya didn't offend me man.....it's all good.... :cheers:

Sounds like you just need a good petting.........or some catnip...... :pity:

41husk

Quote from: tkkruzer on January 17, 2008, 01:52:20 PM
IMHO. the whole point of owning an old car,muscle car or otherwise is to enjoy it, after all there aren't many out there anyway. that being said, if you intend to keep the car until it rots into oblivian then do what ever you want too with it as long as you are happy, but if you intend to sell it some day, keep it original. maybe easier to sell that way. I must say though, that being all original does not allways mean more value, case and point, my sons 66 ford mustang, its a 6 cyl car and B/J auctioned one off for 8 grand, but if I put a V8 in it, well they sold one for around 25 grand. now that wasn't an original V8 car either. its all about what people like to drive. I say make it what you want to drive then DRIVE it  :2thumbs: have fun all,,,Tom  :coolgleamA:
I can't agree more, my 73 was originally a rallye U code car and white paint.  It came with a very rough air grabber hood.  I always loved the 71 bee, so I made one kinda!  I used the photoshop thread on this site to make many of my decisions.  I decided to go with Sublime rather than sassy grass even though sublime was not offered in 71 or 73.  I went back and forth between the 71 Super bee, R/t stripe, the 73 rallye stripe and the 68 Bee tail stripe.  I decided to go with the tail stripe, but instead of the original 68 Super bee decal in the stripe, i decided to go with the Dodge Ram Rumble bee decal.  I have had many people tell me how it should have been done differently, or I should have returned it to original, since it was a 440 Rallye.  but the bottom line is I like the way it came out and I enjoy it just as much if not more than the 68.  When the challenger is done I really should sell one of them, but I may just build aother garage instead :scratchchin:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TUFCAT

Quote from: Joshua on January 17, 2008, 02:13:21 PM

Sounds like you just need a good petting.........or some catnip...... :pity:

Nope ...just give me some rock-n-roll!  :ricky: 

Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies' cat,
A feline Casanova, hey man, thats where its at
Get a shoe thrown at me from a mean old man
Get my dinner from a garbage can

Joshua

Hahahaha....now I don't care who you are, that's funny chit right there!

You're one bad KITTY, TUFCAT! :musik010: :METAL:

LeeBoy

I put a RR hood on my 73 with a worked 1971 340 and a 3.91 suregrip. It's a sleeper.  :D
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

tkkruzer

:drool5: now thats one HOT satellite. nice ride dude :2thumbs: Tom