News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey Military Pilots......got a question for ya!

Started by skip68, January 14, 2008, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Does anyone have any clue as to why the Air Force Base here in Vegas is flying fighter jets and HUGE bombers today every 3-5 mins? I assume there is a reason that probably can't be discussed due to Top Secret protocol, but it's amazing how many are coming in today? Anything going on that I missed in the news? :shruggy: I personally love to watch the jets  :2thumbs:, but I've never seen this many flying over our house on such a constant cycle! Just curious! :scratchchin:

Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Hemidoug

We would tell you...but then we would have to kill ya! :icon_smile_big:

probably just some sort of exercise...noting to get worked up over...they are the sounds of freedom afterall.... :coolgleamA:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

skip68

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 14, 2008, 05:22:56 PM
We would tell you...but then we would have to kill ya! :icon_smile_big:

probably just some sort of exercise...noting to get worked up over...they are the sounds of freedom afterall.... :coolgleamA:

I'm not worked up about it, just was curious. :scratchchin: I would love to be able to get on the base and show my kid, the planes! :2thumbs: Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy them from our backyard! :yesnod:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Hemidoug

The time to go would be at an air show....sometimes they will get some school kids together for a field trip at a school. I used to guide quite a few of them when I was active duty.....The kids love it. Not a sound out of them when I was talking.....

John_Kunkel

1/8/2008 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- Southern Nevada residents may notice an increase in military aircraft activity starting Jan. 12 and continuing through Jan. 26 as another Red Flag exercise takes place here.

Red Flag is a realistic combat training exercise involving the air forces of the United States and its allies, and is conducted on the vast Nevada Test and Training Range, north of Las Vegas. Red Flag is one of a series of advanced training programs administered by the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center and Nellis, through the 414th Combat Training Squadron.

Flights involving more than 25 organizations and 80 aircraft ranging from the B-1B Lancer to the F-22A Raptor will be departing and returning to Nellis over the next few weeks.

Along with the Air Force, this Red Flag will include multi-service and coalition aircraft including the Navy's EA-6B Prowler, Singapore F-16's out of Luke AFB, Ariz., a Canadian C-130 and an airborne warning and control system aircraft from the United Kingdom. These aircraft will be flying missions during the day and night to the 15,000 square-mile Nellis range where they will simulate an air and ground war.

For a list of participating aircraft, visit http://www.nellis.af.mil/library/flyingoperations.asp. For more information about Red Flag call the Nellis Public Affairs office at 404-2719
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Hemidoug

I was going to say Red Flag but i wasn't sure...it's quite an exercise BTW. Even the ground crews compete.

skip68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 14, 2008, 05:40:27 PM

1/8/2008 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- Southern Nevada residents may notice an increase in military aircraft activity starting Jan. 12 and continuing through Jan. 26 as another Red Flag exercise takes place here.

Red Flag is a realistic combat training exercise involving the air forces of the United States and its allies, and is conducted on the vast Nevada Test and Training Range, north of Las Vegas. Red Flag is one of a series of advanced training programs administered by the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center and Nellis, through the 414th Combat Training Squadron.

Flights involving more than 25 organizations and 80 aircraft ranging from the B-1B Lancer to the F-22A Raptor will be departing and returning to Nellis over the next few weeks.

Along with the Air Force, this Red Flag will include multi-service and coalition aircraft including the Navy's EA-6B Prowler, Singapore F-16's out of Luke AFB, Ariz., a Canadian C-130 and an airborne warning and control system aircraft from the United Kingdom. These aircraft will be flying missions during the day and night to the 15,000 square-mile Nellis range where they will simulate an air and ground war.

For a list of participating aircraft, visit http://www.nellis.af.mil/library/flyingoperations.asp. For more information about Red Flag call the Nellis Public Affairs office at 404-2719

Wow! Thanks for the great research John! :2thumbs: I did see a HUGE plane about 15 mins. ago, that had the radar disk on top! It was quite impressive! :yesnod: Thanks!!!!! :cheers:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

Ponch ®

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM
I was going to say Red Flag but i wasn't sure...it's quite an exercise BTW. Even the ground crews compete.

I saw a special about Red Flag on either Discovery HD or HDTV. Pretty impressive stuff.  :2thumbs:

BTW...I lol'd a the Canadian contribution being a C130. I guess somebody's gotta fly the pizzas over for lunch....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mudhawg

i live about 60 miles from Whiteman and B-2s sightings are pretty common around here.  I went hunting south of Whiteman a year ago and seen one land.  We were about 4 or 5 miles from the strip and it sounded like it was coming down right in our laps.  Definitely an attention getter.

Back N Black

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 14, 2008, 06:17:03 PM
Quote from: Hemidoug on January 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM

I saw a special about Red Flag on either Discovery HD or HDTV. Pretty impressive stuff.  :2thumbs:

BTW...I lol'd a the Canadian contribution being a C130. I guess somebody's gotta fly the pizzas over for lunch....

Ponch, you would not last a day in the Canadian army.   :nana:

twenty mike mike

Nellis has a huge air show every November; keep an eye on their web site.

BTW, it's jet fighter, not fighter jet.  :eek2:  Now you know more than any newspaper reporter.  :cheers:

skip68

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 14, 2008, 09:29:30 PM
Nellis has a huge air show every November; keep an eye on their web site.

BTW, it's jet fighter, not fighter jet.  :eek2:  Now you know more than any newspaper reporter.  :cheers:
When we were moving in, (in November 07') we saw so many aerobatic stunts from our back yard. I figured we were having a show! Definitely going to all the shows that are close to us! :2thumbs: BTW I used to work for a small airport along time ago renting and fueling planes. I love to fly!!!!  :yesnod: (But I hate tall bridges!???! :eek2: :shruggy: They freak me out! Go figure!/!)

Sorry if I offended by not using the correct terminology! ;D I'm a Marine's daughter!!!!!!! :smilielol: :nana: :smilielol: Thanks for the input!
What's that I hear? They are running the "night guys out right now!" Very cool! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

twenty mike mike

Quote from: skip68 on January 14, 2008, 10:40:21 PM
BTW I used to work for a small airport along time ago renting and fueling planes. I love to fly!!!!  :yesnod: (But I hate tall bridges!???! :eek2: :shruggy: They freak me out! Go figure!/!)[/b]

Sorry if I offended by not using the correct terminology! ;D I'm a Marine's daughter!!!!!!! :smilielol: :nana: :smilielol:[/b] Thanks for the input!
What's that I hear? They are running the "night guys out right now!" Very cool! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

I'm the same way, except I don't even like a tall ladder.  :P

No offense.  :slap:  :nana:

hemi68charger

Red Flag... That's one thing in my 20+ years I've never been a part of and now, doesn't look like I will...................

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection