News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DIRECT--><--CONNECTION valve covers...are they still available?

Started by ChargerBill, October 04, 2005, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

A couple years ago a friend gave me a plastic storage bin full of "parts". Basically it contained 2 Dog Dish caps, a '69 Dart AM/FM Radio, 3 SecondGen Charger window cranks, 2 SecondGen door inside handles, 2 440 Magnum emblems, a 2bbl carb and...2 DirectConnection blue annodized valve covers. They have no dents and a few scratches. From 5 feet away they look just OK, but if you were to lean into an engine bay the scratches are pretty noticeable. The good thing is that the scratches are only affecting the Blue Annodized finish, but the alumninum itself is perfect. I was thinking that I'd strip the blue off and polish the natural Aluminum to a mirror finish, but then I started thinking these might be rare and that could ruin them. I've seen new aluminum valve covers that have "Mopar Performance" cast into the top, but I'm not sure if you can get "DirectConnection" or not. Anyone know if these are available? Would I be ruining these if I stripped the blue finish off?
Life is a highway...

Headrope

Don't know if you'd be "ruining" them or not.
As to if they are still available - I've only seen them on Ebay from time-to-time.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

firefighter3931

Those haven't been made in years. They come up for sale every now and then on e-bay and i've seen them at swaps. Never was a fan of the blue anodizing and i'd do the same as you if i owned a set....strip and polish.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Get the blue off and buff, buff and buff some more. ;)

Cuda Ken
I am back

hotrod98

They were lousy covers even when new. They were thin and leaked like a sieve unless you used lots of sealer on the gaskets. There are lots of them around. You can find some real nice sets since most of he racers took them off within a short period of time.
If I remember correctly they were actually made by Moroso since Mopar doesn't actually make anything. They just have other people make all of their stuff.
My new Mopar Performance black krinkle hemi valve covers were made in Taiwan, yet cost me $650.00.   

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

Isn't Mopar Performance in the middle of reinventing themselves as Direct Connection again?   This would mean they will be plentiful again and everything old is new.   It'll suck to be hawking them on e-bay if this is true.

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

4402tuff4u

If they are "annodized", in order to polish them to a mirror finish you will have to dip them in acid to remove the annodized finish.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Ghoste