News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building new shop/Suggestions

Started by 1ofnone, January 13, 2008, 01:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ofnone

Hey guys. Garage getting converted into showroom for Chargers. Too many near misses with tools and equipment, will be cars only no hazards. Shop plans have been ongoing for last couple of years. Just like making our cars better with everyone's input I am asking the same with this project. Things like damn I wish I did this when I built mine. Also suggestions on what's better, radiant heat/forced air/in-floor! There have been some awesome chargers built with this sites input and I am hoping the same can be done with a shop. Budget will be in line of me being a regular guy with a regular job. Sorry no rights infringements Joe Walsh! Thanks Guys

The70RT

It all depends on how much cash your shelling out. I originally wanted a barn style for a lot of upper storage area and maybe make a little get away area with a couch TV etc. That didn't happen (city code  :eyes:). I installed all my electrical, cable, PC wires, underground. If you are planning on staying in the same place take your time and build it the way you want.  If you worried about heating costs burn wood. You can heat it up as much as you want and is way cheaper if you gather and cut your own wood. I took advantage of our latest ice storm and gathered a couple cords for next year.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NMike

the size you are planning on is too small. make it bigger

1ofnone

I have a friend with a shop 80 x 300 and you can not even walk though it .  they are always too small. Codes dictate the height of mine as well. Not worried about heating cost just better systems. I do not have a wood lot and when you have to by it not such a great deal! Size will be in the 26 x 40 Range.

dodgecharger-fan

I'd love to have in-floor radiant heat.

If you can get a second floor in, do it. Even if it's attic space, make sure the roof support system allows for some storage up there.

Build a little shed off the back for the noisy equipment - like a compressor and /or generator.

running water and sewer hookups.

Dreaming here: excavate a huge underground space and have an elevator to lower cars down to it for storage. :P. They actually make these to just drop into a pit in the floor and then allow for parking on top, kind of like a reverse lift, but I want to take the idea one step further and be able to drive off and into the underground space.

1ofnone

Due to slope of my lot was considering lower level .But that style adds 30 to 35k to the cost of the project for engineered floors and foundations!

Charger_Fan

It wouldn't hurt to go peruse some of people's garage builds here; http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Lots-o-neat stuff there. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1ofnone

Charger fan thanks a lot . Had a  quick look and the site looks great. :2thumbs:

NHCharger

As CF mentioned the garage junkies site has tons of info on it.
The problem I always see when someone asks for opinions about building a shop/garage is that people have no problem spending your money.
I built myself a 30x88 several years ago and as mentioned above, it's not big enough. Next thing you know you have relatives asking to store stuff in your garage for just a few months. My brothers junk has now been in there 3 years. My bro-in-law was storing his late wife's old Harley knuckle head in there, until i found out he wasn't supposed to be in possesion of it ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

The70RT

Quote from: NHCharger on January 13, 2008, 09:15:45 PM
As CF mentioned the garage junkies site has tons of info on it.
The problem I always see when someone asks for opinions about building a shop/garage is that people have no problem spending your money.
I built myself a 30x88 several years ago and as mentioned above, it's not big enough. Next thing you know you have relatives asking to store stuff in your garage for just a few months. My brothers junk has now been in there 3 years. My bro-in-law was storing his late wife's old Harley knuckle head in there, until i found out he wasn't supposed to be in possesion of it ::)

Kinda like " Build it and stuff will come"  :P
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NHCharger

Quote from: The70RT on January 13, 2008, 10:31:21 PM
Kinda like " Build it and stuff will come"  :P

:haha: :haha: You got it.
Well, seeing that your in Canada 2x6 walls minimum.
I priced out radiant in floor heat versus my FHA Hot Dawg and it would have taken 15 years to recover the difference. BTW I love my Hot Dawg.
I did not plumb in running water. I keep a five gallon jug in the shop. If I have to pee there is a tree with my name on it behind the shop. I did install a sleeve for future use.
My ceilings are 11' so I can install a lift, when I hit the jackpot. Sheetrock it and paint walls and ceiling white.
Check the lumber yards for discontinued windows or ones that are slightly damaged. I got all my windows and doors for .25 cents on the dollar.
Do as much of the work as you can. I'm a builder so I had all the tools but doing it myself and with the help of my two sons (involuntary labor) it still took me two years. And there is still some odds and ends to finish up.
If you think you might install a lift some day, pour the slab thicker in that area.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

LeeBoy

Here's a link to my garage build I posted on the garage journal back in November of 2006. It has been a little over a year since it was built and is full. My 65' Dart and my 68' Charger are at my sister in laws garage and my Satellite and two Powerwagons are in my garage. I need to get the Charger home! The money I was going to use for a lift will now be going for those juicy parts AMD will be putting out!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6228&highlight=leeboy
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

PocketThunder

Quote from: NMike on January 13, 2008, 01:37:48 PM
the size you are planning on is too small. make it bigger

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Even though radiant floors are more expensive i think its the best thing to splurge on.  My Dad has this in his shop and it makes it so much nicer in the wintertime.  Keep your heat on at 40º all winter long and you will love it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

LeeBoy

Even though radiant floors are more expensive i think its the best thing to splurge on.  My Dad has this in his shop and it makes it so much nicer in the wintertime.  Keep your heat on at 40º all winter long and you will love it.
That is where I keep my thermostat for my radiant heat. You can work in a t-shirt, it is great.
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

supserdave

Floor heat is the one thing I wish we would have put in our garage.  A loft is very nice for storage if you can do it.

FJMG

If your property and budget allow, definitely go two-level, I did that with mine. I can enter my shop through my basement, can also drive out at the rear lower level ,although this does increase  your driveway cost.
     Radiant in-floor no question for the larger shops. Truly uniform heat, within one degree floor to ceiling. You do have to be careful if the OH doors open and close often in cold climates because the recovery is slow(may need supplementary air heaters). Very simple system, low maintenance. The financial payback in the cold climates is very quick for the extra initial outlay (except for the smaller double or single garages).
     I try to convince all my customers to at least bury the piping in the concrete slabs,  this is one component that is obviously difficult to add later. You can always add a boiler, pump and manifold at a later date.
     Space the piping (TAKE LOTS OF REFERENCE PICS BEFORE CASTING CONCRETE) where the lift needs to be bolted.
     The only problem with in-floor is that you will change oil much more often and probably offer to do your neighbors cars, the positive is you may delay buying a lift since laying on a warm floor is SO comfortable.

farmerjon

Quote from: supserdave on January 14, 2008, 11:35:00 PM
Floor heat is the one thing I wish we would have put in our garage.  A loft is very nice for storage if you can do it.

floor heat is the only way to go!  we did all our own can send pics if you want to see  not too tough  adding height was cheap  we went up so the farm machinery will fit as needed but it let me add a nice loft on one end   the spray in foam insulation is the best also  pricey but really worth the splurge  solid, quiet easy to heat  the only thing is you must install an exaust fan as it is so air tight

1ofnone

Thanks Guys. Was away from the site lately,winter returned and was busy getting the snowmobile trails repaired and open again. Looks like roughing in pipes for in floor heat is a must. Lets me install a outdoor wood furnace in future! By-laws restrict height, lower level is a pipe dream as far as cost go. Looks like we are going to 28x40 with 10' walls and scissored trusses for extra height. Going to contact  someone in the area with same set up to see how he likes it. Thanks again everyone.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69 OUR/TEA

Throw my  :Twocents: in there,I did radiant floor heat in my garage,primarily because above is living space and did not want to be above a cold garage.Best thing I could have ever done!!!!! Works awesome,and is extremely effecient.Did everything myself,cannot give you an exact amount because I did a high end boiler that is also doing other mechanical equipment around the house.To give a little something for an idea,I have 5 250' loops in the concrete and with the screen,insulation,tubing and ties it was around $1,500.00 .The system you choose to make,control,and deliver the hot water can make it vary in price.

Rocky

If you're just doing a showroom style garage, then you won't need much other that the heating that others have mentioned because you live in a cold weather climate.  However, as an Electrician, I would reccomend either having it wired for the potential as a full service garage, or leaving the interior walls unfinished in the event that you or a potential buyer decide to do so later.  It is much cheaper to to install services or receptacles/240V outlets (for larger equipment needs)  while the framing is exposed.  Personally, I ran a 100 Amp panel for my 20X28 detached garage with potential for a wet bar and RV parking on the side.  That is kinda extreme in my situation, but because I was able to do it myself it really wasn't very expensive.  It also adds up to a nice perk when you go to sell,  I've never heard anyone complane about having too much power in their garage/home, and it is much cheaper to add/upgrade during initial construction than to upgrade later.   

BTW, I have a brother in law who works for a plumbing wholesaler, so I also added a urinal with a small leech field, and provided bracing and brackets for a removable stripper pole and platform, but that's just me.   :angel:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Rocky on May 16, 2008, 01:44:30 AM
     BTW, I have a brother in law who works for a plumbing wholesaler, so I also added a urinal with a small leech field, and provided bracing and brackets for a removable stripper pole and platform, but that's just me.   :angel:

PICS!   :popcrn: