News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how long does a shop usually need to rebuild an engine?

Started by CB, January 12, 2008, 08:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

when you drop off an engine at a shop (CA area), for a basic rebuild & testing of an engine?
stupid question I know but need to check some things before I head out to the States
Thanks
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

oldkimmer

........It all depends on what u want , and there work load.......kim...........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winged 1

;)
Not to scare you but mine has been in the shop for 4 years. Due to get it back end of next week..
:drool5:
Best of luck,
Eric

CB

Quote from: Winged 1 on January 12, 2008, 10:50:16 AM
;)
Not to scare you but mine has been in the shop for 4 years. Due to get it back end of next week..
:drool5:
Best of luck,
Eric

good Lord !! :o :o
I thought you could have it returned within a few weeks....
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Steve P.

It completely depends on what you are having done and if they work non stop on your motor.  The place I recently used in Tampa did quite a bit on 2 blocks for me and assembled one. Also tested it on a machine that spins and pressurizes the oil system checking for good pressure and also leaks.. I forget what the machine was called, but most including myself have never heard of it..  :shruggy:

My motor'(S) were in the shop for 3 weeks. Check balance. Grind crank. final hone. new Arp rod bolts. Square deck. stitch a crack. hot tank and mag.  More..... I don't even remember all of what was done now.  @nd block was tanked, checked, a few broken bolts drilled out and all measured.

This shop was pretty well run. I have yet to install and fire it up, but it will be in soon...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Rolling_Thunder

Usually around 4-6 weeks seems to be a fair time-frame I usually get engines knocked out in about 3-4 weeks due to having a great relationship with the machine shop we use (we go to the front of the line) - It takes me roughly 2 days to build the engine once I get the parts back and about day possibly two to do the breakin, fix any leaks, heat cycle, and retorque the heads. figure 4-6 weeks (this is CA time as well   :nana:).
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RD

you know it also depends on whether or not you paid up front... machine shops work quicker when they have already been paid :D  I know mine does hehehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

CB

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 12, 2008, 09:49:33 PM
Usually around 4-6 weeks seems to be a fair time-frame I usually get engines knocked out in about 3-4 weeks due to having a great relationship with the machine shop we use (we go to the front of the line) - It takes me roughly 2 days to build the engine once I get the parts back and about day possibly two to do the breakin, fix any leaks, heat cycle, and retorque the heads. figure 4-6 weeks (this is CA time as well   :nana:).

there's a racing team in CA (didn't write down the name propperly it sounded like 'masalini racing.com') who put down high numbers on the track.
They have a shop that rebuild engines.

I am negotiating with a guy who's selling his car with # 340 block that need a rebuild.
It would be super to have it rebuild/mounted before shipping the car to me.

I could stay 1 week, 2 if I find some cheap place to sleep, but not 4-6 weeks :icon_smile_dissapprove:

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

suntech

CB
What i would do the, is to get the parts i know it would take to get the engine in good shape, throw it in the container, with the car, and get it done here in Europe. :Twocents:
Does not help if they SAY they can do it within your timeframe, when just ONE hickup will screw up everything, and you have to go back home, with a car without engine.
I am not bashing on anybody here, i am just trying to get you from making a schedual that is WAY to tight, and a 1 day hickup screwing up everything, without a plan B or C !!

Option # 2 would be to deliver the engine to a shop, ship the car, and get them to do a complete rebuild, incl dynoing etc. and ship you the engine separatly.

Belive me CB, your dream-plan will NOT work out!! Even if the shop was standing there with open arms, waiting for YOUR engine!!!!
I am not trying to be negative here, just realistic!!! I have been in motorsports/ engine tuning envirement for 30 years (both as driver and engine tuner).
I know my kind well...............we are always to optimistic about timeframes!!!

Question: Have you ever seen a raceteam go home 4 o´clock in the afternoon, day before a a race???  Don´t think so........Most of us are burning midnight oil :shruggy:

Just my :Twocents:
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

CB

The car has a running 318 in it. Just to move around.
Plan A was to get the engine done together with a full TTi  headers and exhaust system.

I had a plan B: already get the car and the TTi - parts shipped and get the engine later.  ;)
Looks like I am forced to go this way.

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

suntech

Hi again CB
Go by plan B, and goofe off with a few cold ones while you are there, instead of having a heart-rate on the rev-limiter, worrying about scheduals :2thumbs:

When i bought my 68 in the US, last February, my plan was to ship it pretty much right away. Then it was pushed back to June, since i got the idea that it would be nice to drive it to the coast myself.
Then, with all the nice bodyparts that are getting awailable shortly, i figured that i leave the car with a buddy of mine, till i have got the "big volume" items i want, to save some shipping costs, and guess what..................car is still there, and my list of parts going with the car is getting longer by the day!! :D
So much for scheduals :shruggy:
Oh well.......... why worry, i comfort myself with the fact that for the first time in my life, i have a hobby there time is working with me, instead of against me :2thumbs:

Good luck with your new ride
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

CB

Hey Rolf, sounds like you gonna have to do a lot of unpacking once the container has arrived  ;D

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

suntech

Yup!!
Complete XV level II frontend/ rearend/ brakes/ headers and exhaust system/ subframes etc.
World Product Hemi aluminum block/ stage IV heads/ Callies billet crank/ Oliver rods
A LOT of body parts, plus whatever more i find while it is still sitting there :shruggy:
Whatever i thought i would save in shipping everything together, i am spending in more parts :shruggy: Extremly easy to get a ittle carried away here!!!
Rolf