News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Again, Chrysler is the least American of the "Big Three"

Started by bull, January 12, 2008, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Once again, nothing built by Chrysler made the Cars.com top ten "American-made" index. Two Toyota models on the list and not one Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product. Maybe next time I'll buy a Tundra. ::)

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/355/the-carscom-american-made-index;_ylc=X3oDMTE5MWwyc2RqBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNhbWVyaWNhbi1tYWlu

Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts are made, and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. Models that have been discontinued are disqualified, as are those with a domestic-parts content rating below 75 percent.

1. Ford F-150
2. Chevrolet Cobalt
3. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
4. Toyota Tundra
5. Pontiac G6
6. Toyota Sienna
7. Ford Escape
8. Chevrolet TrailBlazer
9. Chevrolet Malibu
10. Ford Explorer/Sport Trac

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2008, 07:24:18 AM
Once again, nothing built by Chrysler made the Cars.com top ten "American-made" index. Two Toyota models on the list and not one Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product. Maybe next time I'll buy a Tundra. ::)

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/355/the-carscom-american-made-index;_ylc=X3oDMTE5MWwyc2RqBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNhbWVyaWNhbi1tYWlu

Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts are made, and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. Models that have been discontinued are disqualified, as are those with a domestic-parts content rating below 75 percent.

1. Ford F-150
2. Chevrolet Cobalt
3. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
4. Toyota Tundra
5. Pontiac G6
6. Toyota Sienna
7. Ford Escape
8. Chevrolet TrailBlazer
9. Chevrolet Malibu
10. Ford Explorer/Sport Trac

:o Oh I wish you didn't say that.  Toyota is trying to take the last hold on vehicles we have.  The big almighty USA made tuff as Steel, mega truck marget.  The last American strong hold left.  They spent millions in advertising trying to sway good ole American boys to swing away from the American truck market, and it looks like you may be a sign that, it's working. :rotz:  When a guy that calls himself bull, and drives around in an old Muscle car, say's maybe I'll buy a Import Truck, the end is near. :'(
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Crazy Larry

It is too late to save the US auto industry. Tariffs on foreign cars should have been installed decades ago, making it harder for them to compete, and easier for us to maintain a sales base, while still being able to provide a high standard of living to the US auto workers.......

Instead, sales went down, standard of living increased, and eventually factories had to be closed and "domestic American cars" imported from foreign workers just so they can stay afloat.

This is just a sign of things to come...eventually the big three will fall...and working on cars in this country, will be like working the cabbage fields - lowest cost labor working in the lowest quality settings.

Even in a capitalist market place, the free market must be controlled or else it will turn on you due to investor greed. Just go to any other country in the world - especially the ones in Europe (or how about Japan for that matter) and try to buy an American car - the extra taxes that you'll see on the price tag will make you shift to buy their domestic cars out of common sense. That is how it works everywhere else except here in our country. We are way to late to learn this fact of a free market.

Now that we know this - I will still buy American name tags. Because the design, testing, and shipping, of the big three products, still benefit Americans....even if Dodge cars are made mostly out of country...there are a lot of Americans that benefit from the sale (Far more so than buying a Tundra, which was made by American hands, but 80% of its cost goes to Japanese businessmen, testing, marketing, design, etc).

As long as their is a corporation somewhat in America, I'll buy them......but soon...very soon...we'll see the Japanese buy out one of the big three and still keep the name. At that point, its all fair game, so take your pick of car/truck.

That's the way I see it
:'(

Rack

All I gotta say is I'm proud to be a Ford F-150 owner.  :yesnod:

hutch

I dont care what that report has in it. Dodge trucks are the best trucks you can get for your money.  They will not die.  On a side note, America is on the down turn because everyone wants to get rich and no one is ok with working hard to earn a living anymore.  Cant sell $30K and $40K cars and expect everyone to rush out and buy one.  We were great when our cars sold for under 5K and you got a solid car out of the deal. 
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 12, 2008, 08:00:40 AM
:o Oh I wish you didn't say that.  Toyota is trying to take the last hold on vehicles we have.  The big almighty USA made tuff as Steel, mega truck marget.  The last American strong hold left.  They spent millions in advertising trying to sway good ole American boys to swing away from the American truck market, and it looks like you may be a sign that, it's working. :rotz:  When a guy that calls himself Bull, and drives around in an old Muscle car, say's maybe I'll buy a Import Truck, the end is near. :'(

Its  bull!

Todd

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 12, 2008, 11:59:14 AM
:o Oh I wish you didn't say that.  Toyota is trying to take the last hold on vehicles we have.  The big almighty USA made tuff as Steel, mega truck marget.  The last American strong hold left.  They spent millions in advertising trying to sway good ole American boys to swing away from the American truck market, and it looks like you may be a sign that, it's working. :rotz:  When a guy that calls himself bull, and drives around in an old Muscle car, say's maybe I'll buy a Import Truck, the end is near. :'(

Its  bull!

Todd

Humbly apologize, correction made. :icon_smile_big:

Rob. (not rob)

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

Quote from: Rack on January 12, 2008, 08:39:48 AM
All I gotta say is I'm proud to be a Ford F-150 owner.  :yesnod:

Same here.  Better towing capacity compared to the 05 Dodge ram 1500 I had.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

DodgeByDave

Made in America as in manufactured?

Or assembled as in assembled here from foreign components.

tell me, whats the diff in assembled in mexico/canada/wherever Tennessee from jap components?

More media manipulation.

:smilielol:
III, we are everywhere

daytonalo

I have owned mostly jap trucks over the last 20 years , many with well over 250k miles without a major problem ! Go ahead , tell me the big three are better than Toyota or Nissan

Todd Wilson

Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2008, 02:42:17 PM
I have owned mostly jap trucks over the last 20 years , many with well over 250k miles without a major problem ! Go ahead , tell me the big three are better than Toyota or Nissan

The big 3 are better then Toyota.  The 250k miles isnt the deciding factor. If you use a truck as a truck should be used the small Jap trucks would not hold up any length if time.  The new Tundra while a bigger truck then past Jap trucks is still a joke compared to any of the Big 3 trucks. I am talking about operating in harsh conditions. Hauling thousands of pounds of tools and gear. Slugging thru the mud. Busting snow drifts to get to cattle for feeding. Hauling heavy trailers. Hauling heavy trailers in rough off road conditions. I see plenty of farm trucks in Kansas and I see plenty of Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks on the railroad and they go thru more punishment in a week then a Toyota could handle in 20 years. We have many Big 3 trucks that are 3-4 years old on the railroad with 200-300kmiles on them still going without any major problems. Dont forget the idle time those trucks have on them as well as miles.

I have yet to see a Toyota or a Nissan doing any of these jobs. I dont see em hauling big 5th wheel campers down the interstates either.

Todd

Ghoste

Last major snow storm we had here I took our Dodge out for a drive in the blizzard and the only other vehicles on the road and getting around were domestic four wheel drives.  For whatever reason, any Japanese vehicles I saw that day seemed to be having a lot of trouble getting around.  :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: DodgeByDave on January 12, 2008, 01:11:27 PM
Made in America as in manufactured?

Or assembled as in assembled here from foreign components.

tell me, whats the diff in assembled in mexico/canada/wherever Tennessee from jap components?

More media manipulation.

:smilielol:

"Factors include sales, where the car's parts are made, and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. Models that have been discontinued are disqualified, as are those with a domestic-parts content rating below 75 percent."

bordin34

On the window sticker it has the percentage of domestic and foreign parts. A Grand Cherokee is mostly US and Canada.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

bull

When a guy that calls himself bull, and drives around in an old Muscle car, say's maybe I'll buy a Import Truck, the end is near. :'(

But when a Toyota is over 75% American made and a Dodge is not, which one is the import? And why is it that Ford and Chevy trucks can make the list but not Dodge? If they can do it it's obviously not an impossible task, and as far as I know the Ford F-150 still ranks as the best-selling truck in the US. I know my Charger was probably close to 100% American made so there's no problem there but if it can still be done today why isn't Dodge doing it?

Rolling_Thunder

I drive a toyota pick-up as my daily...    hate to say it but it seems Toyota makes a better product than GM, Ford, or Dodge does...    I have never had a car that required less maintinance and cost than my little toyota...     :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

suburbanfireman

My  :Twocents:.
I guess people still think about American cars during the "smog pump" gas crunch era.  (Remember the diesel Oldsmobile station wagons that were based off of the gasoline blocks?)  Detroit really turned out some turds back then, and their reputation has suffered ever since.
I don't understand why people say foreign cars are better.  When you ask them why (they are better), they usually mutter something and then "they are just built better".  The reality is that most of all cars are assembled by machines anyways.  American cars are just as reliable as the jap / german cars.  Look at the consumer reviews for saturns, buicks, and jeeps.  My sister's 2004 subaru has blown the head gasket twice so far.  People will say "that was just a fluke - subaru's are normally very reliable", but if a American car does the same "its a P.O.S.".  My mom and dad both drive buicks with over 100,000 miles on them.  The only issues they have ever had - worn rack and pinion on one car, and the other needs to have the a/c recharged every year.  During winter months, my dad still runs his 1978 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with over 260,000 miles on it!  I have only owned one foreign car in my life (1988 Mazda 323) while in college - it ran great, but was built cheaply.  All plastic / noisy /rode harsh / rattled and squeaked.  I have owned a lot of domestics (Cadillac STS, 300 M, GMC Yukon, Chevy HD Truck, Trailblazer, Grand Prix GT, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Ram Cummings, 1963 Corvair Monza, & my 68 Charger) - they have all been great vehicles for me!
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Todd Wilson

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2008, 07:42:36 PM
When a guy that calls himself bull, and drives around in an old Muscle car, say's maybe I'll buy a Import Truck, the end is near. :'(

. I know my Charger was probably close to 100% American made so there's no problem there but if it can still be done today why isn't Dodge doing it?

Better not look too close you may see some Made In Canada stuff on our 100% American Made Charger!

Todd

RD

whenever I mention that I have a 98 Dodge Neon, instantly people say its a POS...  The thing has 192,000 miles on it without replacing a headgasket.  The only things I have changed on it were a timing belt (at 145,000 miles), and oil pan gasket, and a egr valve...that's it.

All my dodge's were good vehicles...all of them.  My '05 ram pickup is by far the best family vehicle I have owned.  I test drove tundra's, titan's, ford's, and dodge's before I chose the ram.  It was the best vehicle, with the best room, and the power I needed.

I would have picked any pickup if it fit my needs, but the dodge did it above all the rest.  Sorry, no way in hell would I ever own a GM, so I didnt test drive one of those :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

SeattleCharger

that is not an impressive list at all, none of those cars are that cool,   what about vettes?  mustangs?  vipers?  even charger srt8's, ? 
  ford escape?  chevy cobalt?    its based on criteria that perhaps should include other traits, do those qualifications really define the big 3? 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

bull

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 12, 2008, 10:45:56 PM
Quote from: bull on January 12, 2008, 07:42:36 PM

. I know my Charger was probably close to 100% American made so there's no problem there but if it can still be done today why isn't Dodge doing it?

Better not look too close you may see some Made In Canada stuff on our 100% American Made Charger!

Todd

That's why I said "close to" 100%. :cheers:

Ghoste

Weren't some of the 3rd gens made entirely in Canadakistan?  I know there were Plymouth B-bodies made in Windsor in the early 70's.

Shakey

I think it is funny when people try to defend the North American auto manufacturers.

Time to come to grips with reality folks - the quality just isn't there and the sales numbers prove it.

It is a shame, but it's true.

Rack

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 12, 2008, 04:26:07 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2008, 02:42:17 PM

The big 3 are better then Toyota.  The 250k miles isnt the deciding factor. If you use a truck as a truck should be used the small Jap trucks would not hold up any length if time.  The new Tundra while a bigger truck then past Jap trucks is still a joke compared to any of the Big 3 trucks. I am talking about operating in harsh conditions. Hauling thousands of pounds of tools and gear. Slugging thru the mud. Busting snow drifts to get to cattle for feeding. Hauling heavy trailers. Hauling heavy trailers in rough off road conditions. I see plenty of farm trucks in Kansas and I see plenty of Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks on the railroad and they go thru more punishment in a week then a Toyota could handle in 20 years. We have many Big 3 trucks that are 3-4 years old on the railroad with 200-300kmiles on them still going without any major problems. Dont forget the idle time those trucks have on them as well as miles.

I have yet to see a Toyota or a Nissan doing any of these jobs. I dont see em hauling big 5th wheel campers down the interstates either.

Todd

Couldn't agree more. I'll take the DECADES of experience from the "Big 3" in making a fullsize truck over the hardcore tv advertising from the jap truck makers.

US trucks > All else