News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '69 Charger Restoration

Started by justin1987, January 11, 2008, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatbackFanatic

that looks GREAT!!!! you should be very proud. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

1969chargerrtse

Wow, looks beautiful.  Seeing that stripe being put on kills me because mine is painted and I Oh so wish it had the correct tape stripe.  :'(
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

justin1987

Once again, thanks for all the compliments. We are taking it to the headliner guy on Sunday, so hopefully it will be out tearing up the roads by the middle of next month.

I'm putting a car show on for the university on March 28th and I want to show it off there. I need to show all the college people what real cars are all about.  :icon_smile_big:

justin1987

We dropped the car off at the headliner guy's house this morning. He said it would be done tomorrow afternoon. That is what I call a fast turn around. I was expecting about a week.

justin1987

Well I'm finally getting around to updating this.

Let's just say the headliner guy screwed up. I guess 27 years of experience is code for lack of common sense. Apparently the dumbass didn't want to use the screws we provided for the dome light. Instead he wanted to use the A-pillar screws. I think you all know what is coming next. The two screw went through the roof. Needless to say he got a hellacious ass chewing, didn't get paid for his work, and he didn't get paid for the materials he bought. We were lucky because the body shop was able to get most of the dent out and touched up the paint. It would have cost $900 to fix it right, but we opted for the $40 quick fix. It is hard to notice, but if you know it's there you can tell. So we got a complete headliner for $40. Here is a pic of the screw up.

Besides that the car is almost done. We got the back seat and passenger seats back in the car today. We also installed the new seat belts. The only thing we have left is to glue the dash cap on. I wanted to get this car done for a car show that I am putting on next Saturday. It looks like I am going to make it. Here are some pics that I took of todays progress.

And just for fun, I cleaned up both the cars on Monday and took a few pictures of them together.

The70RT

That's too bad. That reminds me of my Buddy's land rover. He took it in to get new door panels and the idiots put two marks like that on the door when they opted for different screws. It it is too bad that there is a lot of incompetence out there. Car looks great man  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

justin1987

Yeah, I'm trying to look at the glass being half full. The headliner looks great.

I'm putting the dash cap on in the morning, then I'm giving the interior a good detailing tomorrow afternoon. AS you can probably see in the pictures it is filthy.

PocketThunder

Dude it doesnt matter how far along the car is done by the time the car show starts.  Take the car there anyways and show it in whatever stage its in...   :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 19, 2009, 11:24:42 PM
Dude it doesnt matter how far along the car is done by the time the car show starts.  Take the car there anyways and show it in whatever stage its in...   :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  get it solid running and driving and show it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

keepat

Hey man that's not how you would like to get a discount. Sorry to hear about their F-up. :'( But the headliner looks great! and the pic's of the two cars looks cool!
Good luck with your car show!
Pat

Ryan

Car looks awsome. Sorry to see the damage on the roof. I actually did somthing similar to mine when I did my headliner.  :RantExplode: Live and learn. Luckily for me my car got a vinyl top so the the damage is not visible. People make mistakes.....it just sucks when they happen to your car.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

vancamp

car looks great, on a side note in my job we are taking headliners out and puttting back in on a regular basis (newer cars though) and we would play a prank on new guys by grinding the head off a screw and while they were reinstalling a headliner put a touch of glue to the end of the de-headed screw and stick it over where a visor or dome light would be, they would get out see it and nearly pass out or go back to ripping the interior back out while we all laughed our rears off

justin1987

Well the car is officially finished. The dash cap is glued in place and drying as we speak. It only took 2 years, 2 months, and 25 days, but the car is finally all in one piece again. Not that it was one piece when we got it. I guess it's been about 10 years since the last time it was all together.

We still have a few little things to do here and there, but they are never finished. On the plus side, we got it done just in time for car show season.  :cheers:

472 R/T SE

I hope you like that cap.  I had one in my blue car and it absolutely bugged the shit outta me every time I looked at it and eventually dyed a nice one out of a Satelite.  Maybe black won't be as noticeable.  :shruggy:

Nice job man.

justin1987

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 20, 2009, 10:50:27 PM
I hope you like that cap.  I had one in my blue car and it absolutely bugged the shit outta me every time I looked at it and eventually dyed a nice one out of a Satelite.  Maybe black won't be as noticeable.  :shruggy:

Nice job man.

It's not perfect by any means, but it will do for now. The original tan one was cracked in about 3 different places, so patching it and dying it wouldn't have looked good at all. As soon as the new pads come down in price or I can find a nice original one I will replace it.

keepat

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 20, 2009, 10:50:27 PM

Nice job man.

Looks like their plenty of toilet paper on the dash, just incase it bugs the shit out of him too.   ::)
Pat

mopar73

That's a sweet pair of rides you have :cheers: Too bad about the SCREW UP,  (pun intended) I'm sure it will be difficult to spot because everyone will be looking at the rest of that beautiful creation. Have a blast on the car show circle. :thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Stop torturing me!!! :smilielol: It looks great man :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: justin1987 on March 20, 2009, 07:52:13 PM
It only took 2 years, 2 months, and 25 days, but the car is finally all in one piece again.

That's actually really quick.  My car has been a project for almost 6 years now...
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

justin1987

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 23, 2009, 12:35:23 PM
That's actually really quick.  My car has been a project for almost 6 years now...

We did the Torino in 9 months and it was in worse shape than the Charger.

justin1987

I took the car to a car show yesterday at the local Hooters and it won 1st Place in the Muscle Car category! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Also, I drove it 30 miles to the car show and 30 miles back home without any problems. This was really the first time it was ever driven more than a mile. It back fired a little the first mile and after that it purred like a kitten. I think there was just some bad gas. Which brings me to my next story. I stopped for gas and this redneck guy comes walking out of the store complementing me on the car. He told me how he plays the Dukes of Hazzard video game all the time. It was even better because the guy was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt. It made my day.

This car has way more power than I anticipated. I punched it a few times going down the interstate and it hauls some serious ass. It will throw you back in the seat. I loved every minute of it. Too bad the speedometer doesn't work. I would love to know how fast I'm going. It is also a major traffic hazard. I can't tell you how many times a person pulled up next to me and started taking pictures with their cell phone.

Anyway, here are some pics from the car show. I know some of you will enjoy the pictures with the girls. Haha.  :icon_smile_big:

The car at the car show.

The car outside of Hooters.

The car at the car show.

The Hooters girls posing with my car.

I had to get a picture with the Hooters girls.

Me with the trophy I won.

TheGhost

Either you're a giant, or those are some short girls.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

justin1987

Quote from: TheGhost on May 19, 2009, 12:08:59 AM
Either you're a giant, or those are some short girls.

Haha. I'm 6'5". The girl right next to me was really tiny. I would say between 5'0" and 5'2".

1969chargerrtse

Fantastic job , nice to know there's another one cruising the roads.   :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi68charger

Looks great !!!!  Good job!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection