News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '69 Charger Restoration

Started by justin1987, January 11, 2008, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin1987

I thought I would share some of the latest pictures of my car. It should be getting painted next week.  :icon_smile_big:

I can't wait to get it back home. It's been gone since October. I'm ready to start putting it back together.

It kind of pisses me off that they are putting motorcycle parts on the hood, but at least they put padding under the stuff. They've used the car as a trashcan for about two months. They've finally cleaned most of it out. I guess that's what happens you take a car to a place that puts insurance work ahead of everything else.

viper r/t

justin1987

TUFCAT

Quote from: dads_69 on January 11, 2008, 10:38:54 PM

Tell the body shop your car is not a work bench....... that crap doesn't fly at all.

Mark

I love to see progress.....and I'm happy for 'ya  :icon_smile_big:.   Now, on the other topic,  I would also be pissed.  Where's the respect for the customer?  :icon_smile_angry:

justin1987

Quote from: dads_69 on January 11, 2008, 10:38:54 PM
Car looks great. Tell the body shop your car is not a work bench. If it were me in your shoes, and I walked into the shop and saw that crap on my car, I'd take it off and run it over w/my truck. I work for a body shop, that crap doesn't fly at all.

Mark

As soon as I walked into the shop they actually apologized for the stuff on the hood and said that they would get it off before the end of the day, which was a first. They've had all sorts of parts on the car. Hell, they even had some phone numbers written on the quarter panel, so I went over there and erased them. :D If it was important they should have gotten a piece of paper.  I'm just tired of dealing with the people in the shop. The guy doing the body work is apparently an alcoholic and only shows up to work maybe once a week, so it has taken two months longer than what was originally said. Oh well, he does excellent work and it's almost over, so I don't have to see much more of them.

justin1987

Here are some more pictures from the day we bought it (December 23, 2006) until now.

bull

Cool. Nice to get somewhere, isn't it? Tell them to keep the crap off your car, it ain't a workbench. :nono:

BMOTOXSTAR

Body Guys are known for doing stupid shi- like that. :rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

NMike

at least they loaded it up BEFORE they painted it.

that interior picture gave me shivers when i saw it, good luck.

justin1987

Quote from: NMike on January 15, 2008, 12:33:42 AM
that interior picture gave me shivers when i saw it, good luck.

The interior was actually in great shape. There was a small patch of rust in the driver side floor and the seats were from a 1979 Firebird. Besides that, it was about 95% complete. It was just nasty because it had sat for 8 years in that garage without moving and the previous owner just had things thrown in there to get it out of his way.

six-tee-nine

If i see stuff like this the first time i visit a body shop, i'll walk right out again and go somewhere else....

I'm a doing bodywork myself guy, so you can be as good as you want, if people calling themselfs pro's trow stuff on a hood like that....i don't know man...
And when they paint you car and leavig dents in the hood then the battle begins.....how did the dents get there, well in their opinion you left them there cuz you're not a pro.
In the end you walk out screwed AND pissed wich is not a good state of mind IMO   
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

blackcharger

the car is looking good, but tell'm to keep the crap off your car. and I think when you take a car to a shop, there should be a agreement that for everyday longer for the car to be done, they deduct $$ off the price. but for them, if you take longer to pay them,it costs you more.

Charger_Fan

I agree with the leaving crap on & in the car, I'd be pissed too. :icon_smile_angry:

What color are you going with?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mopar2Ya

I agree w/everyone about the stuff on the car, but in the end when it's painted & you hopefully love it, that's what counts. The guy that painted mine never had any thing on/in my car like that, but the paint/body/price/etc work was not good.  :Twocents:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

justin1987

I've been over it with a fine toothed comb and I didn't see a single dent on the hood. There was about an inch of foam under the parts. It is kind of hard to see in the pictures.

The body work is amazing on it. It took them 2 months to get the sides right. They must have blocked them about 15 times.

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 15, 2008, 02:51:22 PM
What color are you going with?

2005 Mercedes-Benz Brilliant Silver with a black R/T stripe.  :2thumbs:

JoeyGowdy

Looking good, what's the story behind it?  How did you find it?  Looks like it was a General at some point.
:2thumbs:
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

Shakey

Quote from: JoeyGowdy on January 16, 2008, 06:29:28 AM
Looking good, what's the story behind it?  How did you find it?  Looks like it was a General at some point.

QuoteLooks like it was a General at some point.

What makes you say that?   :shruggy:

Justin - good job on the progress!   :2thumbs:

justin1987

The car is suppose to get it's door jambs and trunk painted sometime in the next few weeks.

I can't wait to finally get it back and fell like I'm making progress on it again.

69_500

Quote from: JoeyGowdy on January 16, 2008, 06:29:28 AM

What are you seeing that makes you think it was a General Lee clone at some point?

Otherwise it looks like the car is coming along great. I'm not a body man, nor am I a body shop owner, but I'll admit I use my own car as a work bench some times in the winter.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: justin1987 on January 16, 2008, 12:48:24 AM

2005 Mercedes-Benz Brilliant Silver with a black R/T stripe.  :2thumbs:

Same colour my '69 is gonna be and same stripe too.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi-hampton

I've worked in many body shops & like to keep my cars I work on clean. When I leave at night it's clean, BUT, When I come in the next morning it could be trashed & I say hey, who did this, Wasn't like this when I left last night, Same thing if I go on a week Vacation (or over the week end or come back from lunch) Come back & everybody has screwed with it. Usually everybody denies knowing anything or they say tuff to bad or the boss does it & say's I'm the boss I can do what I want, so what I'm saying is usually it's not the guy working on the car(s) fault but every other Idiot he has to work with in the shop. Since they are not working on it they dont care. :brickwall: :Twocents: :slap: LEON.

eddytheb

I own a shop and if I find so much as a pop can on a customers or one of my cars the s--t hits the fan that is pure disrespect.I would be pissed if I was you I really hope that its all that when its done but if not you got the pics to prove your case. 

1969chargerrtse

Cars looking great. Send updates soon.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

justin1987

Woohoo!!!! It's getting painted on Tuesday!  :woohoo:

The door jambs, floor, trunk, and a few other places have been painted, but the rest of it will be getting painted on Tuesday. They are going to finishing aligning the doors, hood, and trunk lid on Monday since they had to take them off to paint.

The owner told me they wanted to let it dry for at least a day before we took it home. So that means on Thursday I'll get to bring it home after 4 1/2 long months.

Here are some progress pics. They said they were going to put another coat on the floor because one coat didn't cover the copper that well.

69bronzeT5

Looks great! What kind of wheels are you putting on it? My 5000th post ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic