News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Charger Caught on FIRE

Started by bordin34, May 27, 2009, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Glad you & the car are both ok...much better ending to the story that the alternative. :'(
Oh & this is the very reason why I try to never have a rubber ruel line (or connection) near the distributor. This goes for those cheap plastic fuel filter, too. I've seen those split at the seams from heat & spray fuel on an engine before. Luckily with that one, the carb just ran out of gas & the engine died before anything caught fire.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

71ChallengeHer

Dan, Shelby told me about this last nite. I'm so glad your ok.  :2thumbs:  And the Charger doesn't look too bad.  :pity:  Let us know if we can help.

bordin34

Thanks
So far all that I know needs to be replaced is one plug wire, the distributor and cap, a couple feet of fuel line, one wire for the choke on the carb, the distributor 12v feed wires need to be soldered onto the new dizzy, and the temp sending unit wire. I am hoping there is no electrical damage I hosed the car down again today.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger-Bodie

Turn that fuel line around, so it comes in from the rear. You will have far less risk of fire that way.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tommymac

Your Lucky you caught it when you did,I had a similar episode,Driving down the road I smelled like paper burning and thought it came from a large truck ahead of me,all of a sudden my brakes faded to nothing and pulled into a gas station near the pumps , dripping flame onto the concrete,not knowing! I stopped and saw smoke coming from the cowl and hood,lifted the hood and the flames went all the way to the bottom of the hood.The kid inside came running out with a large bowl of water and said Hey Your On FIRE! I tossed it on a large rag I had left under the hood to catch some brake fluid dripping from the master while filling it ,DUH I forgot about it. While driving it must have blown down onto the headers and caught fire,and totally burnt just a plug wire and boiled the brake fluid in the lines .Boy what a dumb move!!I feel very lucky I could have blown up the gas station,and burnt up my car .I do have a extingusher but not CO2,plan on it.

mopar73

Glad to hear that you are ok and that the car only has minor damage.  Always, always carry a fire extinguisher with you..

firefighter3931

That is what we call a good stop in the firefighting bussiness.  :2thumbs:

Damage looks minimal and it would have been much worse without an extinguisher.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FastbackJon

Glad it worked out.

My red '66 caught on fire once under the hood due to a triangle edelbrock air cleaner and a backfire. Just the air cleaner caught on fire. Luckily I wasn't driving and I had the extinguisher right there to put it out.

Also with the '73 PW this year, had it warming up in the garage and had the hood open, and noticed a bunch of fluid on top of the intake manifold. Thought it was coolant at first but then noticed the rubber fuel line going up to the carb was severely cracked and spraying gas all over. Probably the original line. Got it shut off, battery disconnected and replaced. Thankfully I didn't find out the problem on the road!

Some guys aren't so lucky!

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

mjwebb

turns out my little flame off the alternator wire was due to missing washers on the wire connection....the wire was just arcing to the alternator and got red hot...boy, to think a 5 cent washer could have torched my car...just passing this on for folks to make sure that part isn't missing

mikepmcs

Cody you see that last post by MJ? :scratchchin:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 29, 2009, 04:02:19 PM
Cody you see that last post by MJ? :scratchchin:

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

I'll be printing out the topic about the alternator the odd posts about that kinda stuff before I leave for Vancouver next Friday. Man Jon, those pictures are enough to make me cry. Especially the middle one!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bordin34

It lives  :D. Today I bought a new distributor and fuel line, cleaned the air filter, and soldered a bit. I set the timing while getting shocked and it runs. I took it out for a test drive and it was running great, until a nice tight turn when it suddenly backfired a lot for a second then died, which is so much fun when your power steering and brakes. So I was stranded for ten minutes until my tools came, I swapped my old ignition back on and all was good. I think I fried my Summit ignition.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

chargerboy69

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 28, 2009, 07:38:10 AM
Quote from: WingCharger on May 27, 2009, 08:19:39 PM
At least nobody got hurt. Hope it comes out okay. Fire extinguisher powder is baaad stuff on electronics and electrical parts. :2thumbs:

Ah yea, I was thinking the same thing. If it was a common dry chem extinguisher you might as well replace all the electrics. That stuff gets into everything and it eats electronics. This is the reason that computer facilities only have CO2 extinguishers on site. If you have insurance on the car you may want to get them involved in the repairs that I suspect you will soon encounter.

Bryan

You are exactly right.  Not good stuff to get down a carb either.  Guys should not put those dry chemical extinguishers in their cars.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

69bronzeT5

Quote from: chargerboy69 on May 29, 2009, 08:25:25 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 28, 2009, 07:38:10 AM
Quote from: WingCharger on May 27, 2009, 08:19:39 PM
At least nobody got hurt. Hope it comes out okay. Fire extinguisher powder is baaad stuff on electronics and electrical parts. :2thumbs:

Ah yea, I was thinking the same thing. If it was a common dry chem extinguisher you might as well replace all the electrics. That stuff gets into everything and it eats electronics. This is the reason that computer facilities only have CO2 extinguishers on site. If you have insurance on the car you may want to get them involved in the repairs that I suspect you will soon encounter.

Bryan

You are exactly right.  Not good stuff to get down a carb either.  Guys should not put those dry chemical extinguishers in their cars.

Unfortentley, it's the only thing I have right now. I can't afford a CO2 one.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Rather have some eaten electronics then no car at all  :2thumbs:

mjwebb

well now they're telling me something different, actually did have the insulation washer thing on there, it was what got torched and started the small flame and fried my alternator, but the root cause was a wiring issue with the horn, relay or something I don't quite fully understand..anyway I'm picking it up today and they'll let me know exactly what the electrical issue was/is...they are disabling the horn and relay for now..I'll try and post a comprehensive explanation just for knowledge sharing...

tan top

Quote from: bordin34 on May 29, 2009, 07:27:21 PM
It lives  :D. Today I bought a new distributor and fuel line, cleaned the air filter, and soldered a bit. I set the timing while getting shocked and it runs. I took it out for a test drive and it was running great, until a nice tight turn when it suddenly backfired a lot for a second then died, which is so much fun when your power steering and brakes. So I was stranded for ten minutes until my tools came, I swapped my old ignition back on and all was good. I think I fried my Summit ignition.

thats great  got it running :2thumbs:
Quote from: FastbackJon on May 29, 2009, 12:01:38 AM
Glad it worked out.

My red '66 caught on fire once under the hood due to a triangle edelbrock air cleaner and a backfire. Just the air cleaner caught on fire. Luckily I wasn't driving and I had the extinguisher right there to put it out.

Also with the '73 PW this year, had it warming up in the garage and had the hood open, and noticed a bunch of fluid on top of the intake manifold. Thought it was coolant at first but then noticed the rubber fuel line going up to the carb was severely cracked and spraying gas all over. Probably the original line. Got it shut off, battery disconnected and replaced. Thankfully I didn't find out the problem on the road!

Some guys aren't so lucky!

thats some sad sights   :'(  ..all look fixable though ! do you know that caused them all  :scratchchin: ..thinking the silver one , the guy might of been welding on the underside  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

quapman

All of us over at the 3rd Gen. Site give you a big "Whew!"

I need to get me a fire extinguisher!

BROCK

Quote from: quapman on June 21, 2009, 04:02:00 PM
All of us over at the 3rd Gen. Site give you a big "Whew!"

I need to get me a fire extinguisher!

I'm with you on that Q!  And where is that thread about converting the amp gauge to a voltmeter?

An ounce of prevention................

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world