News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repairing a Dana 60

Started by JeffYoung, June 17, 2009, 11:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffYoung

I just figured out the cause of a fair amount of rear axle noise on my 72 Rallye (Dana 60 3.54 sure grip rear end.  The left side of the axle housing is wallowed out and won't really "hold" the bearing race.  So, I'm stuck looking at options. 

1. Repair the existing axle. I assume a machine shop might be able to weld in enough metal and then turn it down so the race fits again, or even just weld the race in for now.

2. Get a new housing. Is this even possible?

Thanks a bunch.

John_Kunkel

If you can find a machine shop with a long enough lathe they can bore out the housing end and press in a sleeve.

Or you can cut the bad end off and weld on a new one, problem is most replacement ends are set up for Green type bearings and aren't deep enough for the factory axle seal. I think somebody offers a factory dimension housing end but can't remember who it is.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JeffYoung

Thanks John. I appreciate it.

69rtse4spd

Check with MOSER eng. in PORTLAND, IND. There web site says they have stock housing ends that take stock bearings. They can cut off old, weld on new. Timkens  bearings are avilable, can not find them let me know.